Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build Advice

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

I'd change a couple of things:

-The i7-2700k is the exact same chip as the 2600k, with a tiny speed bump. Not worth the extra money when you can just overclock it.
    -You picked an LGA 2011 mobo for an LGA 1155 chip
    -If you aren't gaming then you don't need the 560Ti
    -Yes, you want a SATA SSD as your boot drive, but I switched the Force3 for a Cruical M4
    -For mechanical drives, SATAIII makes absolutely no difference in performance. In general a 5400rpm drive is fine for storing music/videos/pictures, but if you are going to be editing the files on the drive often, then you'd want a 7200rpm one.
    -The OEM version is fine, especially considering that Windows 8 is just around the corner. The retail version just lets you change the license to a new computer.
    -I changed the fan to the Macho, a really good, quiet fan.

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €977.30 + €18.99 shipping
    Intel Core i7-2600K Box, LGA1155|€266.70
    Thermalright HR-02 Macho|€33.99
    ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€82.61
    2 x 8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€33.31
    FRACTAL DESIGN Gehäuse DEFINE R3 Titanium Grey|€91.69
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€41.89
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5")|€144.89
    LG BH10LS38 Blu-Ray bulk|€71.26
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit (SB-Version)|€78.65
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II (HD103SJ)|€99.00

There's no GPU in this build, but if you do want to do a bit of gaming you could add one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Thanks for the clarification regarding the motherboard and the other answers. All those streams of numbers had managed to confuse me :o.

Any particular reason why you've swapped the hard drive, RAM and optical drive?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Malice wrote: »
    Thanks for the clarification regarding the motherboard and the other answers. All those streams of numbers had managed to confuse me :o.

Any particular reason why you've swapped the hard drive, RAM and optical drive?

RAM - Cheaper and same performance
    HDD - Faster drive if you are going to be doing audio editing on the files that are on it
    Optical - Same price for blu-ray burner, so you might as well. If you don't need blu-ray then drop down to a DVDRW for €50 cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Id change the M4 for the Samsung 830 version. its write speeds are quite a lot higher which could be important for big audio editing.

Up to 320 MB/s vs Up to 175 MB/s

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

deconduo wrote:
    If you aren't gaming then you don't need the 560Ti
    Assuming I wanted a decent but not top of the line graphics card is the 560Ti sufficient?
    deconduo wrote: »
    RAM - Cheaper and same performance
    Does it make any difference having the RAM split across two chips rather than all together on one?
    deconduo wrote:
    HDD - Faster drive if you are going to be doing audio editing on the files that are on it
    Good point, I hadn't spotted the speed difference.
    deconduo wrote:
    Optical - Same price for blu-ray burner, so you might as well. If you don't need blu-ray then drop down to a DVDRW for €50 cheaper.
    I don't think I need it right now but I'll leave it in there anyway.
    Tea_Bag wrote:
    Id change the M4 for the Samsung 830 version.
    Good point, I'll do that.

Lastly that motherboard has "Max Allocated RAM Size" of 1759MB. According to here that's only of relevance if I want to allocate system RAM to the graphics card. Am I understanding that correctly?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Max ram in that is probably 32GB, so i'd say whatever that link says is correct, for allocating memory elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Looks like that is max memory allocated to the motherboard graphics.

Advertisement