Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eMobile signal booster?

Options
  • 19-03-2012 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭

Just wondering - has eircom/emobile any plans to introduce signal boosters to improve reception for your mobile phone through the landline (bit sketchy on the details, but i believe Vodafone does it)?

Phone reception out here is atrocious, texts reach us usually 2 to 3 hours after they were sent, sometimes not at all, it's impossible to have a conversation on the mobile since the calls keep dropping, and most of the time we can't pick up a signal at all, unless you stand on your tiptoes half way out the West-facing window...we have a 'free calls to landline' deal - however, we cannot use it since we can't use the mobile at all for phone calls...paying for a service we can't use in our own home...

my whinge for the day - would be great if there's anything we could do to improve mobile reception..cheers!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

This would be a FemtoCell with ADSL Backhaul rather than a booster as such (which amplifies weak 3G signals) . Have you ADSL??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

galah wrote: »
    Just wondering - has eircom/emobile any plans to introduce signal boosters to improve reception for your mobile phone through the landline (bit sketchy on the details, but i believe Vodafone does it)?

Phone reception out here is atrocious, texts reach us usually 2 to 3 hours after they were sent, sometimes not at all, it's impossible to have a conversation on the mobile since the calls keep dropping, and most of the time we can't pick up a signal at all, unless you stand on your tiptoes half way out the West-facing window...we have a 'free calls to landline' deal - however, we cannot use it since we can't use the mobile at all for phone calls...paying for a service we can't use in our own home...

my whinge for the day - would be great if there's anything we could do to improve mobile reception..cheers!

Hi galah,

At the moment there is not a possibility that eMobile will provide a signal booster. In regard to your coverage issue have you spoken with an agent in our customer care department on how to test the coverage. If you PM your mobile and pin I can get this checked out for you. Are other eMobile customers in your area affected by this?

Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Sponge Bob - we have broadband through the eircom line - I *think* it may be adsl, not 100 % sure (how would I know for sure?)

Tony - will do, once hubby comes home (I'm with Meteor, he's with eMobile). Cheers for that - I know everyone in the area is affected by poor network coverage from pretty much any network (vodafone seems to be slightly better for some reason since my phone usually goes 'roaming' and uses the vodafone network in those instances), it seems we're right on the 3G edge...

It would be ADSL Galah. In marginal areas a 3g service is often cack and turning off 3G ( sometimes WCDMA or CDMA) in favour of GSM only can improve matters somewhat.

Is eircom looking at a Femto solution for its customers at all Tony.????

The Meteor/eMobile 3g networks are the smallest such network in the country and very little investment is being made by any operator in extending rural 3G any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    It would be ADSL Galah. In marginal areas a 3g service is often cack and turning off 3G ( sometimes WCDMA or CDMA) in favour of GSM only can improve matters somewhat.

Is eircom looking at a Femto solution for its customers at all Tony.????

The Meteor/eMobile 3g networks are the smallest such network in the country and very little investment is being made by any operator in extending rural 3G any more.

I don't know about Femto Sponge Bob, will check for you though.
    Tony

• Advertisement

Thanks Tony.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭cjc0101

Hi I am having similar signal issues but a little more unusual though!

I am in the Athlone area and I would love to get a device which I could leave near a window where there is good signal and have it re-broadcast it through the house, I can get 3g signal out and about in my area though once indoors it drops away, fine no bother though my 2g signal drops too and I can not make calls/texts/internets connections or if I do it drops frequently.
    Sometimes it feels like I am up the side of a mountain!
    Now I do realise that any network can not cover absolutely everywhere, and I can not use Vodafone because the Cell towers in my area are barred to Meteor/Emobile customers!
    So it would be nice to have a way of a DIY solution which does not cost the earth, so roll on FemToCell or a Mifi style device!

Or at least a review of the vodafone national roaming deal.

ps. my father was thinking of moving to e mobile but warned him off due to this issue, as he uses his phone for work, my mother is leaving Meteor due to this issue also.

Hence in the E mobile thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    This would be a FemtoCell with ADSL Backhaul rather than a booster as such (which amplifies weak 3G signals) . Have you ADSL??

I cant understand why cant mobile networks provide some sort of network boosters.

For example (Front of the house = perfect 3G signal, Back of the House = No 3G barely and EDGE. Inside 2nd floor = extremely weak 3G and EDGE.

1st floor = 1 bar at the best.)

Tried every network and get same coverage. Except some networks have worse 3G or none at all.
    Hi galah,
    At the moment there is not a possibility that eMobile will provide a signal booster. In regard to your coverage issue have you spoken with an agent in our customer care department on how to test the coverage. If you PM your mobile and pin I can get this checked out for you. Are other eMobile customers in your area affected by this?

Tony

I'm no different from OP. Recent addition of 3G in my area is nice, but trying to get it is as above explained is horrible.

I've my MBB modem against a windows in one room and if I get a call I got to run beside the windows or out the door.

My mum and gf are on the same network, all with different handsets and I got MBB too and its the same situation.

At this stage and years of struggle id just love something simple and easy to install that would at least get rid of headaches regarding headaches. Its 2012!!

Advertisement