Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No longer last

Options
  • 19-03-2012 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

So decided day to start a brand new training log.

Bit of background - was never exactly a sporty child, always finished last in the running race on Sports day, apart from the year I finished second last (was thrilled that year). My lack of general coordination and ball skills kept me from the more traditional pasttimes, and I suppose I never really thought i could be a runner.
    I did the mini-marathon a few years ago (8 in fact) and actually managed to run the whole thing after a couple of months of consistent slow running - was thrilled with this, but spoiled my good work by completely over doing things a couple of days later and deciding this running thing wasn't for me.
    There followed a few years of occasional jogging - 1-2 miles a couple of times a month or less, but tbh I never really enjoyed it.
    Last summer, I realised I was piling on the pounds and the inactivity, and joined a gym. This of course involved a bit of treadmill running, and over a few weeks, I realised I could go a bit further every time (ie from 1k - 2k - 3k), and decided to move my running outdoors in October - just in time for winter.
    Thing is, for the first time ever, I was loving it! Loved the feeling of a steady run, and especially loved how I felt afterwards.
    Around Christmas decided on the half marathon in Connemara as a realistic target (for now), and have been following, loosely, Hal Higdon novice 2 plan since January.

I suppose all is going well, running longer, and a little bit faster, but still pretty slowly by most standards! I'm out of the first flush of amazement that I can actually do this, and am finding the logs here a great motivation to keep on going, so its probably time to keep one myself.
    Phew, sorry for the length of this!

Anyway
    March 19th
    10m in 1.44.28
    Av pace - 10.26
    Legs heavy towards the end, but kept the pace pretty consistent. Ran into and around town, maybe not the best move, a bit of buggy clipping. Def some extra arm freckles!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭pansophelia

Busy week and didn't manage the full Hal Higdon plan, unfortunately, so here in summary

March 20th
    3m recovery run - legs tired after the 5k on the 18th and the long run the next day. I would probably have left this run, but knew wouldn't get a chance to run for the next couple of days so
    3m run
    Time 34:12
    Av pace 11:23
    This was a full six minutes slower than the MSB 5K - eek!

March 23rd
    Got home late for work after a crazy three days and really really really didn't want to go out atall, but changed into the gear to see how I felt. Forced myself and it was actually kind of great, set myself a target of 3miles but ended up doing 4.25 - the last half completely in the dark, oops. The first three miles worked out about 9 30' pace, then took it very easy for the last little while.
    4.25m in 42:39
    Av pace 10:01

March 25th
    Long run this morning, what a fabulous day! I'm working away from home at the moment, and struggling to like my adopted town - today was the first day I could see the appeal. Did an out and back run, partly along a fairly busy road - managed 4miles at HMP and took it pretty easy for the rest. Had a much needed stop for water and sugary mints on the way.!
    11m in 1:55:27

Getting nervous about Conemara now, don't think I've done enough hill work, but hopefully will manage to struggle around. Also quite excited!
    Av pace 10 29'

March 27th

Counting down to the half - only three runs left. Decided to go for a run around the golf course where I'm living at the mo - one final attempt to make up for the lack of hills in the last few weeks.
    So a very hilly three miles - aim was to keep this under 10 minutes a mile, and with the help of some steep downhills, I managed to do it. Did nearly puke more than once tho. Relaxing now with a glass (cough, two) of wine!

3.03 miles in 29:13
    Av Pace 9'37"

Following a pretty terrible day in work, it was good getting out for a run. Very pretty and felt good. Second last running day before Sunday!

March 28th
    3.11 miles in 29:00
    Av Pace 9'18" per mile

April 1st

And so the big day finally arrived! This was the race I'd been vaguely aiming for since I started running back in September/October. Had heard so much about it, that to say I was nervous would be a complete understatement.
    Last minute prep didn't go to plan, and managed to only get about an hour of sleep on Friday night, oops.
    Tried to make up for it on Saturday - instead just managed to do a huge amount of eating, think I might have overdone the cakes!
    Was doing the race by myself and did think it might be a bit lonely, but it didn't work like that atall!
    Shared a bus to the start with a girl staying in the hotel, and we had planned to run together for a little while. After the busy start tho, the first hill took me a bit by surprise and her pace was a small bit quick for me, so decided to hold back. Tried to tell her this, but a big crowd quickly filled the gap between us and she was gone!
    After the first hill, there seemed to be a long downhill stretch and it suited me down to the ground. Didn't find those few miles atall really. Pace felt ok, and was managing with the heat, loved the little water bottles!
    Things did start to get a bit lonely after mile six, but tried to stay within the same group of 20 people or so - didn't always manage that but it gave me something to focus on.
    Vaguely needed to go the bathroom from the first mile, but there was a distinct lack of portaloos for the girls, while the lads were just whipping it out no bother to them at the side of the road, oh the envy!
    Then the HOTW, one of the ultra runners had told me the night before that it wasn't as bad as it was made out to be, and I think he was right, the hardest thing for me was the mental side of it. I just kept thinking that it would be so easy to stop and walk, lots of other people were doing it so why not? Managed somehow to keep on going and talk my mind out of all that nonsense!
    Id just finished the hell, and passed the 11 mile marker, and decided to ask someone what the time was (went watchless to take away the pressure a bit!). She made my day when she told me it was 1'52. Couldn't believe it! We ran together for a short while, then she told me to push on and try to kept sub 2'10. From that moment on I couldn't stop smiling!! Found the last mile looooooonnnnnnggg, but still managed to smile my way all through the finish line.
    Luckily met a friend just after the finish so I got to share my complete excitement!!
    Great day, great experience and already can't wait for next year!

13.1 miles in 2.09

Rereading my race report, what a great day, was a bit heavy on the exclamation marks tho!

Been taking it easy this week, trying to decide on the next goal.
    I'm planning to do the Ballina Half in May, so I'm going to loosely follow the Hal Higdon intermediate plan, and do the Samsung 10k in the middle of it - my first proper 10k.

Disaster struck this week, I replaced my cracked phone with a shiny new one, but sadly everything on the phone, including my Nike + app is stuck back in last October!!! So all my run records are now gone, along with my total mileage since I started running - oh well.
    The upside is, every run I do now is a brand new record according to my phone!

5/4
    3.11 miles in 29:24
    Av Pace 9'26
    Recovery run, felt fine, legs still a little heavy, but it was a grand run!

6/4
    3.18 in 31:05
    Av Pace 9'46
    According to the plan, I had to do 5x400 at 5k pace for the next run with w/u[ and cool down - hmmmmm.
    This pace thing is trickier than it looks. First went too fast, then too slow, ended up thinking I was going to puke, is that a good thing?

• Advertisement

Its been a busy few days, and my lowest mileage week in quite a while.

But rounded it off nicely.

April 8th
    Made it home around lunchtime on Easter Sunday, and after overeating all day, planned to head to a local beach with my mum for a run (me) walk (her).
    Did a loop of the village while waiting for her to get ready. It's 2 miles exactly beside a lovely lake, then up a half mile hill. Funny - since Connemara, I think I'm actually starting to like hills :o
    Anyway, finished the 2 mile loop, headed back to the beach with the mammy, only to discover that the tide was in and beach had disappeared. Ho hum. We went for a short walk together instead, was nice.

2 m in 20:32
    Av Pace 10'13"

April 9th
    Was debating about going for a run all day. The miserable weather at home really persuaded me to sit in front of the fire instead! Think I need to harden up again . . .
    But after a 3 hour drive across the country this evening, I persuaded myself to go out for two miles, and it turned into four - nice!

4m in 37:35
    Av Pace 9'23"

Have vague aims in mind, but think I need a structured plan to keep me in check .... keeping my eyes out for one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Just caught up on your log, congratulations on a wonderful Half in Connemara, I'm delighted for you.

I think a training log is a great way to keep motivated and honest about fitting in the runs/sticking to a plan. Best of luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Congratulation on your Achievement in Conn, thats a great time for a first half on a tough course (by all accounts..i haven't done it yet)

Keep up the good work and enjoy the running. What's the next plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Congrats! We could be doubles - I too was always last on sports day, ran my first half marathon in Conn in 2008 in 2:09, have since ran too many halves to keep count and currently training for marathon no 4. Sometimes it's hard to believe we were the same people we were when we were younger, isn't it? :):):)

Thanks for all the lovely words of encouragement!
    MarthaStew - your log is one of the many I've been following, amazing running going on!
    Younganne - I hope to see you in Conn next year! Its a great course, not easy, but not as scary as I thought it would be. Next goal is the Ballina Half Marathon on the 12th May - its a bit soon to have a proper go at improving my time, but the race is close to my home home and I couldn't miss it. Thinking about the Samsung 10k 2 weeks before it, my only previous 10k is the mini marathon a few years ago, so I should PB!
    Earnyourturns - It is funny to look back! Would love to get to where you are now over the next few years. It's a bit odd but I'm still very self-conscious about running with other people, can't help comparing myself to everyone around me (and not in a good way!) - it almost mentally makes me go slower. Need to get over this, any tips?

So I've decided to loosely follow the last five weeks of the Hal Higdon Intermediate Half Marathon Plan

April 10th
    The plan was for a 40 minute tempo run, decided to do a 4 mile tempo run instead (find it easier to run distance). Really had to push myself to go out, was having a very relaxing chat with my housemate.
    So did three miles at gradually increasing tempo pace, and then a mile cool down. Think I was easy on myself!
    4.01 miles in 38.12
    Av Pace 9'30

• Advertisement

April 11th

Plan called for 3m run and strength.
    So I managed the 3m run part ok, took a flatter route than normal, and didn't push myself too much. Worked out as fast mile/slow mile/fast mile.

The strength part consisted of me lugging the shopping bag with wine and after eights into the house.
    The wine was lovely.

3.02m in 28:10
    Av Pace 9'18

April 16th

A bit disappointed and frustrated over the last few days. Have been working about seventy hours a week for the last two weeks, and have managed to miss two long runs in a row - not good.
    There was an hour window on Saturday where I could have gone for a run, but instead succumbed to my mum's homemade scones and chocolate biscuit cake.

So today was feeling pretty wrecked and miserable, and have a headcold coming on, had no intention of running.
    But this evening, I just thought I'd put on my gear and see how I felt. I felt ok. So thought I'll just head out for a little bit and see how it goes. Literally as soon as I started running a few steps it felt right! Was aiming for slow pace, but went on feel, and went through the first mile in 9'52 - felt fine so I kept on going.

Back now and really feel great, feel like I can catch up with the plan, and the cold isn't even bothering me as much!

4.03 m in 39:50
    Av Pace 9'53"

April 16th

So today was feeling pretty wrecked and miserable, and have a headcold coming on, had no intention of running.
    But this evening, I just thought I'd put on my gear and see how I felt. I felt ok. So thought I'll just head out for a little bit and see how it goes. Literally as soon as I started running a few steps it felt right!

you will find that this can happen and once you get out you'll be feeling great...Having a log helps when these moment happen. :D Well done on getting out and enjoying it!!

Thanks Younganne for the comments, discovered this was true again today.

For a couple of reasons, I was desperate to get out for a run this evening.

Running doesn't fix things, but it distracted me for an hour which is more than I can say for anything else! Legs felt very heavy after the second mile but freshened up towards the end of the fourth, so went on a bit longer than planned. Slower than normal, but there is a good long list of reasons for this, so overall I'm happy - especially since it gave me a little peace of mind.

Shockingly this has been my longest run since Connemara, going to have to revisit my goals for the next few weeks.

5m in 48:54
    Av Pace 9'46"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hey!! Way to go in Connemara! Seriously good time for your first half and for the challenging course I hear Connemara is. Well done you! Good luck in your training, and feed off the positive energy of these logs - it's very motivating. :)

Rescued my log from page 6 - :o

Had a few days off to attend a wedding in Scotland, and loved having a little bit of time to do a little bit of running! Usually use the GPS app on my phone to record my runs, so just decided to take it easy and guess I was doing ten minute miles (though think I was going a little bit faster!)

April 20th

Hotel breakfast finished at 9.30 (far too early in my opinion), so was up and out by half eight (that's early on holidays!). A lovely easy run along the esplanade to the battery park (such British names).
    3m in 30 minutes

April 21st

Myself and my cousin tipsily arranged to meet at the Battery Park at 8am and run back along the esplanade to the brides house. Forced myself out of bed, late, and legged it along the esplanade, and met her running towards me. Ran back, picked up a seagull at my aunts house along the way (long story), ate brekkie in the hotel, and went back to bed for a while.
    2.5 m in 25 minutes

April 23rd

Night after the night before. Last relaxing run in Scotland, took my time, went a bit further and it felt pretty easy.
    4.5m in 45 minutes

April 24th

Back home with a day off work - time at last for my long delayed LSR. I planned for 8m, and headed off to the park. Didn't really settle into this until about mile 6, for the first few miles it felt really long. But after a desperately slow first mile, every mile after that up until mile 9 was faster. Some nice negative splitting - although to be fair I was taking the slow part of LSR very seriously.
    9m in I:35:39
    Av Pace 10'39

April 25th
    Jumping into 9 miles after not running longer than 5 in 3 weeks may not have been the best move, as my aching left quad told me today. So decided to do a 2 mile recovery run. It stopped hurting as soon as I started running, so I did 3 - of course it started hurting again as soon as I stopped.
    Must get back into that stretching craic!

3m in 32:43
    Av Pace 10'53

As you may notice from above, plan following has completely gone out the window, but I've decided that this is all I can mange at the moment. Things are a little chaotic, so I'm going to run when I can, as far and as fast as I feel like on that day, and relax.
    We'll se how it goes.

April 28th

Friends suggested an early brunch to catch up - not seeing nearly enough of each other. Nine on Saturday morning! Decided to jog over to brunch, as I know that I wouldn't really feel like going for a run later on in the day.

But couldn't believe how slow I was going, didn't feel that slow, but apparently was crawling along - still, a nice morning run.

4.12m in 44:37
    Av Pace 10'49":o

Had a gorgeous brunch - smoked salmon bagel with cream cheese and 2 large coffees, yuummm. Got a lift back into town, then though the quickest way home was to jog. Decided to take it very easy so as not to mess with the digestion, but ended up going much quicker than earlier, even though it didn't feel like it atall?!

2m in 19.37
    Av Pace 9'46"

Lovely morning!

April 29th

Under time pressure this morning - had planned to do a 10 m LSR, but this got pulled back a little, and it ended up being 8.25m. The first few miles of this were painfully slow, legs felt tired, weather miserable, and I just couldn't seem to get a bit of speed going. Around mile five tho, things picked up, and I finally managed to bring the average pace down under 11 minute miles.
    Was wondering what was going on, and then realised I've now run more miles since Tuesday, than in any week ever! That might explain the slowness - might have to start trying some speed work again.
    8.25m in 1:29:58
    Av Pace 10'54

April 30th

Headed out for this run with a splitting headache, likely induced by overindulgence in chocolate and cake earlier in the evening.
    Decided to try out a speed session (my first one in a few weeks), 1m warm up, 5 x 0.25m at 5k pace with 0.15m recovery (was trying to mimic 5x400m with 200m recovery) and 1m cool down.
    Still had the headache by then end of the warm up, but just decided to get on with it. Find it IMPOSSIBLE to manage my pace properly, using an app rather than a watch, and the pace is delayed by a few seconds so it reads what I was running at 10s ago rather than now!
    Went pretty well tho over all - pace for the fast bits varied between 7'50 and 8'50. And found a lovely new route to run, just down the road.

Headache gone now, so I've decided to tempt fate and have more chocolate.

4m in 39:29
    Av Pace 9'51"

2nd May

Unexpectedly great running day! On Tuesday in work, one of the girls mentioned in passing that Mullingar Harriers organise a 5k race series in Belvedere house for the month of May - open to everyone, even slow people! After a very long day and night and day in work, I was a bit wrecked, but thought I'd pop along and see what it was like.
    Was a bit nervous driving up for some reason, racing scares me I think!
    What a brilliant event! Hundreds of people there, loads of families, in an absolutely beautiful setting.
    The race went down the main driveway towards the house, then down by the lake and up through the woods. Made a couple of major schoolboy errors, forgot to bring a hairtie, so my big thick head of hair was flying all over the place, and my laces came loose after the first kilometre, shocking!
    Was a pretty hilly course, but really really pretty. Found it hard enough, flew down the hill at the end, certain I was coming up to the finish line, only to face one final massive climb - definitely wilted here, was passed by a 12 yr old flying up!

Provisional results up today
    5k in 27:34 - A minute and a half off my PB, but I've the next four Wednesdays to make up for it!

May 3rd

5m recovery run along my new route, nice and slow and easy, listening to talk of the wind and rain on Marathontalk. Beautiful evening, nice run!

5m in 53:58
    Av Pace 10'46

• Advertisement

May 5th

BHAA RTE 5m
    I decided to do this race at the last minute, it was the false promises about Marty Whelan that got me there! Again, struck by nerves just before it, done a few 5ks lately, but nothing that bit longer. I had an aim in my head of sub 45min, I'd done this in training back in January, but hadn't come close since.

Very smooth registration and wandered down to the start line on Ailesbury Rd. - bumped into a guy I met down in Connemara (him-ultra, me-half) and was nice to see a familiar face. The course was a four and a half lap course - don't like laps normally, but found this great!

Was running fairly steadily initially, didn't think I was pushing it too quickly atall, but first lap was 8'47", eek, only got slower after this. By the second lap it was starting to feel hard. I was sooo impressed by the many many much older runners on the field - was lapped at one point by an F75 runner! I've decided to take the positive out of this, rather than the negative - as in, maybe I can do that when Im 75:rolleyes:

Staggered round the last lap, just trying to stay with the group of people that had accumulated around me, was beyond me to try and catch anyone! Crossed the finish line with a time of 43'33"! This left me well down the field, but great day, finished off with a picture of myself at McCoys to show the Mammy (big Fair City fan).

5m in 43'33

Great organisation, great sausages, good day!

May 7th
    Had to drag myself out the door for my long run on Sunday - I kept thinking that it was going to take up half my day, so kept putting it off, illogical I know! Finally got out just before the rain hit Dublin, immaculate timing I know. Had to loop back to the house after 2m to collect water bottle then headed off down the canal. This was ok, finding the longer runs a little boring at the moment, but managed to keep plodding along, despite the occasional downpour!
    10m in 1:47:20
    Av Pace 10'44
    God if I'm finding 10m boring, how am I going to manage 20?!

And to update on a busy week!!

May 9th

Second 5k in the Mullingar race series out at Belvedere house.
    The weather was much more chilly and threatening this time out, but felt good. Was great knowing the course. Another great turn out, lots of small people really going for it (small as in children rather than small small).
    Felt good for this, still a lot of congestion on the first stretch downhill where I was trying to make up a bit of time, but then this turned into a solid steady run.
    I really enjoyed this, warmed up within the first couple of minutes, and found myself steadily passing people after the first kilometre - was pushing myself but still felt comfortable. Love the section through the woods, very meandering and leafy, coming out approaching 4k is a bit of a rude awakening. Coming up to the 5k mark I was passed once again by the little girl who got me at the end last week.
    Felt like I was running really well, and coming close to my PB for 5k (26:09).

Well I wasn't. Only lowpoint for the race, was when I crossed the finish line in a time of 27:25, just 10s faster than last week (when I was exhausted and sleep deprived). Oh well, at least I wasn't slower. And there's always next week!

May 12th

River Moy Half Marathon, Ballina

I'd had this half in the back of my head for a few months, as it's the closest I'm ever going to get to a home race. Since I finished Connemara tho, I've done no specific training for it. My longest distance since Conn was done last Monday - 10 miles - and I'd done 2 races (5 mile and 5k) in the week before).
    But still, I had high hopes. The running has been enjoyable, I've had a few 25mile weeks, and given that Conn was a tough course I felt I could push close to the 2 hour mark. Should have thought that through a bit more!!
    My sis came along for moral support. Lovely, well organised, informal race. The start was very relaxed - we were off before I really noticed. I positioned myself behind the 2 hour pacer, with an idea of seeing how that felt for a couple of miles.
    Miles 1 and 2
    2 hour pacer set off a bit quick, in and around the 8'50 mark, so gradually watched that group drift off. Was averagin around 9'05 and felt really good.
    Miles 3 to 6
    Bit of a drag at around 2.5 miles and all of a sudden I felt brutal, slowed down massively, and could barely imagine getting in at under 2'10
    Mile 6-10
    Put on my headphones. I know, I know. But Florence and the Machine came on and gave me this massive boost. Started passing people for the first time during the race. Lovely country roads, and really enjoyed this section.
    Miles 11-13.1
    Really tough finish, had to drag myself home. Felt confident of a sub 2.05 based on my running app, which seemed to match the mile markers, and closed the finish line on a high. Great race - but found it much tougher than expected!!
    Text time 2.05.25
    Defeated again!!!

Still a 4 minute PB, and congrats to the organisers for a great race, with lovely supportive marshalling the whole way around.

Spent the rest of the weekend relaxing on the couch after getting violently ill about 2 hours after the race. Was well minded by the Mammy!

I rested on Sunday after the half, just to be sure the violent vomiting wasn't going to come back and on Monday working till 11, so on

Tuesday 15th May
    Three miles on the winding country roads - one at average pace, 9'45, then a deliberately speedier 9'05, and then a very relaxed cool down of 10'05. Lovely evening and legs feeling fine.

Wednesday 16th May
    Mullingar 5k race series

This was beyond shocking. Was really pretty terrible. This was the third in the race series, and had done ok the last 2 weeks, finished both feeling comfortable. But this week decided to start a bit nearer the front to avoid the massive congestion on the lovely downhill stretch for the first k. For some reason I took off like a hare, absolutely flying. I didn't bring my phone app, but felt comfortable fast for the first k, was dying to approach my 5k PB of 26:09 and I think I just got over excited.
    By the time the 2k marker appeared I knew I was in trouble, was in a group of about four and still managing to keep up, but every step was killing me. The worst of it was the mental side of things. I got that awful feeling in my chest of I can't do this I can't do this, and completely couldn't talk myself out of it! Felt like it was torture I was bringing on myself. Kept struggling on to 3k and then completely dropped off the pace, I was barely jogging along. For the next 2k about 100 people passed me, I'm not exaggerating either, I had plenty time to count!
    The final hill at the end was the nail in my utterly despondent coffin.
    But was surprised to finish in 28:00 - thought I'd be much closer to 30, given how slowly I was going the last 2k I must really have been flying before that.

So lesson learned - PACE MYSELF. And next time I think I'm going to bring me music (anything to drown out the sound of my horrific breathing).
    Well, one more chance left, already a bit worried about next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Don't worry about it. I too ran a half on Saturday, and I could barely do my 6x600 m intervals on Wednesday, let alone do attack a 5k!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hey there! Getting caught up here....congrats on the 5 mile time....and congrats on your half marathon 4 minute pb, even if you were hoping for a bit more off that one. I agree with scriba, don't worry about your recent 5k times, especially considering all the other races you've been in recently. That time will come down in due time, so no worries. :)

wow, thats a lot of races in the last few week....although you are not overly happy with the times, you are learning something new from each race. And well done, a PB is a PB, numbers don't really matter.....make sure you do a few slow recovery runs so that you don't run the risk of injury!!

Keep up the good work, your flying!

Thanks guys for all the positivity! I was probably expecting too much yesterday after having a tough enough time in the half on Saturday - just cause I feel ok when I'm walking around, doesn't mean I have it in me to go running about like a lunatic.

Yep, I think its time to slow things down completely - which I did tonight. Did three miles around the very hilly golf course where I'm living, so this was a challenge, but took the pace lovely and slow.
    Was semi-stalking my new neighbour during the run, half by accident . .

Hmmm . . .
    Well the lack of logging here is a tad embarrassing, but it went along with a little lack of running.
    May 18th
    Followed all the advice about taking it easy after the previous couple of weeks with a nine mile run on Friday evening after a busy week at work - not the smartest idea, but was planning a heavy weekend. Nice little run, but really wiped out after it, took it very very slowly.

There followed a week of craziness - three pretty big nights out with lots of work as recovery, and a whole three miles of running. Yep. Nine days - three miles. Pretty sad.

But back on the wagon again.

May 28th
    Familiar three mile local route - very slow and found this surprisingly tough. That's what too much socialising gets you!
    Treated myself to a trip to Base2Race in Ballymount, after much running up and down, and analysis of my apparently unusual running style (knees tend towards knocking together), and trying on about ten pairs of runners, I've a lovely new pair of Asics!

May 29th
    A very hilly three miles at home in Mayo, slow but comfortable! But very hot, the heat took more out of me than I expected. And then another mile later on in the evening chasing after some sheep (my dad was impressed) and dodging the midges.

May 30th
    4miles round the lake at home - again hilly and slow, but not as hot as the day before, and getting a bit easier.

May 31st
    3.25 miles back in Dublin, in the rain. Felt grand, bit of a left knee niggle - need to get back to that hip strengthening.
    Had breakfast after with the Mammy, and she commented it was just as well I was running as she couldn't get over how much I was eating all the time:rolleyes:

So I haven't posted up any of the times here as they were ridic slow, but feel comfortably back into the running again - and that's the important thing (sort of).

And now Im off to sign up for DCM!

Hmmm . . .
    Well the lack of logging here is a tad embarrassing, but it went along with a little lack of running.
    May 18th
    Followed all the advice about taking it easy after the previous couple of weeks with a nine mile run on Friday evening after a busy week at work - not the smartest idea, but was planning a heavy weekend. Nice little run, but really wiped out after it, took it very very slowly.

There followed a week of craziness - three pretty big nights out with lots of work as recovery, and a whole three miles of running. Yep. Nine days - three miles. Pretty sad.

But back on the wagon again.

May 28th
    Familiar three mile local route - very slow and found this surprisingly tough. That's what too much socialising gets you!
    Treated myself to a trip to Base2Race in Ballymount, after much running up and down, and analysis of my apparently unusual running style (knees tend towards knocking together), and trying on about ten pairs of runners, I've a lovely new pair of Asics!

May 29th
    A very hilly three miles at home in Mayo, slow but comfortable! But very hot, the heat took more out of me than I expected. And then another mile later on in the evening chasing after some sheep (my dad was impressed) and dodging the midges.

May 30th
    4miles round the lake at home - again hilly and slow, but not as hot as the day before, and getting a bit easier.

May 31st
    3.25 miles back in Dublin, in the rain. Felt grand, bit of a left knee niggle - need to get back to that hip strengthening.
    Had breakfast after with the Mammy, and she commented it was just as well I was running as she couldn't get over how much I was eating all the time:rolleyes:

So I haven't posted up any of the times here as they were ridic slow, but feel comfortably back into the running again - and that's the important thing (sort of).

And now Im off to sign up for DCM!

Well done on getting back into it. Slowly is the correct way to do it.

Don't forget to come and join us here :D

• Advertisement

Thanks Younganne, I've been lurking like you wouldn't believe on the Novices thread! Think I'm going to use the Novice 2 programme, and I'm starting early - possibly as early as next week - as interruptions are guaranteed! I've a very busy job starting July and an important exam in September, and a Middle Eastern wedding in July, but think it can still be done. Maybe.

Have been wondering about my speed. Building back up the runs this week after my hiatus, and they've all been ten minutes plus - and some of them have felt hard enough. Was comfortably doing runs at that pace five months ago and have increased my distance, but not particularly my speed.
    I had a think about this on my run this morning and realised
    - am doing no core work
    - am doing no strength/resistance work
    - am doing no cross training
    So the above are things I need to work on :rolleyes:

June 1st
    Run around the block, lovely and not too hard. Listening to a mix of Marathon Talk and Hypnotic Brass Ensemble - double motivation!
    3m in 34:20

Now off to cross train with a long walk around Dundrum shopping centre!

Advertisement