Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No longer last

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Hi Pansophelia,

Just read your whole thread from start to finish. Found it really interesting and entertaining as I can relate to so much of it.

So are you defo running the DCM? You seem to be a few wks ahead on the HHN2 plan. I'm following HHinter1 plan myself for DCM no2 .and you'll find most of my postings on the DCM Improvers thread though I lurk quite a lot on the mentored novices thread as I was that soldier last year and its great reading how lots of people the same standard as me are getting on.

Ran the liberties run myself the other night too, really enjoyed it. I hate these guys that rarely run and just show up and run 23 mins! :D I was really happy myself with 31:00. Fingal 10 k tomorrow .Goal is to go sub 50 this year so fingers crossed.

Keep up the good work anyway . Looks like you are doing really well so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭pansophelia

RedRunner wrote: »
    Hi Pansophelia,

Just read your whole thread from start to finish. Found it really interesting and entertaining as I can relate to so much of it.

So are you defo running the DCM? You seem to be a few wks ahead on the HHN2 plan. I'm following HHinter1 plan myself for DCM no2 .and you'll find most of my postings on the DCM Improvers thread though I lurk quite a lot on the mentored novices thread as I was that soldier last year and its great reading how lots of people the same standard as me are getting on.

Ran the liberties run myself the other night too, really enjoyed it. I hate these guys that rarely run and just show up and run 23 mins! :D I was really happy myself with 31:00. Fingal 10 k tomorrow .Goal is to go sub 50 this year so fingers crossed.

Keep up the good work anyway . Looks like you are doing really well so far.

Hey Red Runner,
    Definitely doing DCM - although yesterday during my LSR I started having some doubts (see below). I've signed up, and have told a couple of people so I'm committed!
    I started HH2 a couple of weeks early, as work can be really hectic, and I sometimes end up working 7 day weeks. I've a big exam at the beginning of September aswell, so wanted a bit of wiggle room - though now I think I might have too much!
    Very excited about DCM, though I think my initial hopes for an achievable time were unrealistic. Everyone says to just enjoy your first marathon - I'm trying to think like that, but its hard to get away from the focus on times.

Liberties Run was really great - felt miserable the whole way around nearly, but brilliant afterwards! 31 minutes was a great time - I'd love to see an improvement like that over the next year - here's hoping.
    Love following people who have done this last year, gives me a bit of hope in the tricky times!

Saturday 21st July

14m LSR

This was one of my toughest runs yet. Felt a bit low going into the run and my right leg felt really tight. Had a couple of slices of toast as pre run food, going out for the run was delayed by helping jump start my brothers car:)
    I started off nice and slow, with no plan really about where I was going to go - vaguely thought I would go to the park, but ended up in the War Memorial Gardens on the way. Ran down the river path to the end, and then ran back, was enjoying this so decided to do it again, and again, and again!
    Tight leg settled after 2 miles, and felt reasonably ok for the next little while.
    At mile 8 started feeling a bit rough, so ran back up to the house to fill up the water bottle. Grabbed a few jellies, bathroom break, and back out again. Unfortunately forgot to pause the running app when I went into the house, so data very off. Had another 5 miles to do after leaving the house, so went up by the canal, down to Islandbridge and the canal path, and back again. By mile 13 I was done, the only thing that kept me going was knowing it was almost over! Finished roughly 2 hours and 40 minutes after I started, with an average pace of 11'30/mile.

Mixed feelings about this run. Got it finished, when I really didn't think I would at the start, but it felt much harder than it should have - and I've a lot more mileage to do yet. Think I need to find some running buddies to while away the time, and to distract me during the running.

By the by, listened to the Martin Fagan interview while I was out on this run, just by chance, and found it very emotional, wish him the very best.

Keep the head up ! You ran 14 miles. More than half a marathon .This extra mileage in your legs is going to stand to you no doubt. The next 14miler you do will be easier.

Saw a great phrase today on the back of somone's t-shirt "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional" Notch it up as another LSR under the belt and move on to your next week's training.I wouldn't dwell on it too much so don't be disheartened, you are doing great!

And time to update the weeks running . . . .

Plan - 4m/7m/4m/15mLSR

Had a 34 hour shift on Monday/Tuesday - and planned to go out and do the 4m run on Tue after work, but the sudden torrential downpour defeated me!

Wednesday 25th July

This was only ok. Tight right calf (this seems to be a bit of a problem), which only loosened up at mile 3. Effort felt huge for the pace.

4m run in 43:17 Av Pace 10'49"/mile

Thursday 26th July

Was dreading this a bit, mostly because my pace has been so off recently. To top it off, headphones broke just as I was leaving the house. Not feeling the love. Plodded along, up to the phoenix park and a nice loop around. Spent a lot of this wondering why my pace has slowed so significantly over the past few months. Looking back over this log even, my paces are much slower than they were a few months ago, that would be ok if it was on purpose, but the effort feels huge. Also making very little gains in races over the past few months - I'm not expecting massive improvements, just a little bit quicker give that I've really upped my mileage.
    Anyhow, made it around - main feeling was relieved to be done.
    7m in 1:17:00 Av Pace 11'00"/mile

Friday 27th July

Squeezed this run in between work and an engagement party. I was REALLY tempted to shorten it down a bit, again felt really, really difficult. Plodding along.
    4m in 43:17 Av Pace 10'49/mile

Sunday 29th July

15m LSR
    For some reason, I wasn't dreading this as much as last weeks run. Determined to keep it in and around the 11 minute mile mark, and not let it drift out the way it had in recent LSRs.
    Ate my brekkie of All Bran and toast, grabbed my water bottle, a Hi5 gel left over from the Ballina Half, my brand new headphones and off I went.
    I had no particular destination in mind, but started off in the direction of the canal, my usual haunt, then continued on to Donnybrook, before turning off down the Merrion Road. After I got through the first mile, I was feeling ok. Only started drinking water at mile 4, sipping now and again. At mile 8 I stopped off for a quick toilet break in St. Vincents, and got my water bottle refilled. Ran up Nutley lane and back in towards Ranelagh. I took the Hi5 gel at mile 9, kind of nice, fruity really. I got back onto the canal at mile 10 - was relieved, felt like it was on my way home.
    Ran out of water at mile 12 - I could have kept on going, but was feeling pretty good, and wanted to keep on feeling good! My timing was excellent, as I turned into the garage to get some more water ( and some chewy mints) the heavens opened. I waited out the worst of the downpour for a couple of minutes, until it had eased off to heavy rain, and started on the final part of my journey.
    Marathon Talk podcast kept me company for the last few miles - loved listening to the English/Danish marathon Olympic runner.
    Finished my 15 miles a 5 minute walk from home. Perfect.
    This felt so much better than last week, wasn't easy by any means, it just didn't feel nearly as tortuous! Had a little bit in the tank at the end too!

15 miles in 2:46:54 Av Pace 11'07"/mile

• Advertisement

Tuesday 31st July

Week 9 of HHN2 - 4/7pace/4/???

On the plan this week is a half marathon, but I don't have one in mind at the moment - going home for the weekend, so might take a step back week.

4m this evening - down along the river in Islandbridge. This felt fine, didn't push things in case - didn't want to jinx anything.
    Not sure what I'm going to do about tomorrow's pace run - might try a mile warm up, a few miles at pace and a mile warm down - don't think I'll be able for any more than that at the moment.

Back to today . . .
    4m - Av Pace 10'29"/mile

Monday 1st August

Plan - 7m Pace

After the very slow running over the past few weeks, I really didn't think this was going to work out well. Had thought about just leaving it at a 7m run, cause at least I know I can do that!
    The 15m LSR went well at the weekend, and last night's run was ok, so thought I'd try a mile warm up, increase the pace a bit, and see where that got me.

Based on a few different random calculations, based on half marathon, my marathon pace is in and around the 9'40 - 9'50 mark, though I've been thinking more about aiming for 10 minute miles over the past month.
    Mile warm up was typically slow, it's mostly up a long slope. Was 10:29. Tried to up the pace just a little bit, aiming for under 10. Overdid it on mile two, with a time of 9:23:rolleyes:
    The next couple of miles I just aimed to keep going at under 10 minute miles, with the promise of a last mile warm down (initially it was the final two miles warm down, but as the run went on, I knew I could do better than that).
    Gorgeous evening, run felt just the right level of difficult.
    So so pleased - not exactly 7 miles at pace, and in fact my paces were a bit all over the place, but this time last week this type of run was completely beyond me - shows what finally getting some proper sleep can do!

7 mile run in 1:10:07
    Av Pace 10'01"/mile
    Splits
    10:29
    9:23
    9:33
    10:05
    9:37
    10:10
    10:47

Slight change of plan since last posted. Decided I wanted a bit of a break at the weekend. I was off home for the weekend, and while I didn't have any major nights out planned, I really wanted to spend a lot of time with the family, while also not missing the Olympic marathon, or Triathlon:)

So since I started a bit early, I decided to repeat a week/take a break. I took Saturday and Sunday off, and did a medium run of 7 miles on Monday - so back into it once again!

Thursday 2nd August
    Killed after the exertions of the previous night. 4 miles in 42:29, Average pace of 10'36"/mile.

Monday 6th August
    Did this run at home, really enjoyed it. It was crazy hilly, would put Connemara to shame but a lovely sense of satisfaction at the end. Really needed this after the significant amount of gooey cake I managed to consume!
    7.17 in 1:21:06
    Av Pace 11'18/mile

Tuesday 7th August
    Grand run, not very exciting, took it quite easy.
    4m in 43:45
    Av Pace 10'55"/mile

Wednesday 8th August

Well this was a bit of a shocker! Got out of work a bit early, and headed out for this run around half five. The plan was for 7m pace (repeating last weeks) but I knew I didn't have this in me today, feeling a bit tired and legs a bit stiff. Plodded along at roughly 11 minute miles, but this still felt really difficult, especially the last two miles.
    Lovely day, lovely run around War Memorial Gardens, but finished feeling pretty awful - quite weak and heart racing.
    Had a shower and a bite to eat - and then spent an hour flat out on the couch trying not to throw up!! Not the first time this has happened in the last few months, but the first time over such a short distance.

Haven't gotten quite enough sleep this week, but still and all, this is a bit mad really.
    Anyway, all recovered and drinking my hot cocoa, here's hoping for a better day tomorrow!

So once again, things not going exactly as planned.
    My motivation has hit a bit of a low. There's been a good few challenging runs recently, and I spent all day Sunday dreading heading out for my LSR, and then not going atall :(
    No excuses, but just as well I had the couple of weeks in the bag early, and still have time to get back on track.
    Have been reading some of the other posters on the novice thread, and it feels like there's a few of us struggling! I don't want to end up dreading running/disliking running - have had such a great time this year, it's really been a blast, and this is something I want to end up doing for years and years!
    Anyway, optimistic again . . .

Thursday 9th August

4m usual loop, down by Islandbridge, in 44:00 - Av Pace 10'59"/mile

Tuesday 14th August
    4m - very achy legs for the first two miles, and pace was very very slow. In fact it was so slow, that I'm not telling anyone how slow it was.

• Advertisement

So once again, things not going exactly as planned.
    My motivation has hit a bit of a low. There's been a good few challenging runs recently, and I spent all day Sunday dreading heading out for my LSR, and then not going atall :(

Keep the chin up...if things are getting difficult I'd suggest easing of for a week or two until you get your mojo back:)...and make sure to keep hydrated every day and plenty of rest in between runs. I have found that really makes a difference

Keep the chin up...if things are getting difficult I'd suggest easing of for a week or two until you get your mojo back:)...and make sure to keep hydrated every day and plenty of rest in between runs. I have found that really makes a difference

You might be on to something with the 'rest' and 'hydration' - both of which I've neglected over the past few weeks!
    I suppose I have eased off for a bit the last couple of weeks, maybe it's having the opposite effect and making me lazy :rolleyes:

have done no running myself recently as I've been out for two weeks injured and it was torture. So glad to be back now and easing back into it over last couple of days.

You certainly miss it more when you can't do it or are under Physio's advice not to do it.

Marathon training is not easy so we all go through these phases and have setbacks.Just visualise crossing that finish line in October, it'll all be worth it in that moment.

Wednesday 15th August

Swopped things around a bit to allow for a night out last night. So was up before six to get out. This was ok. Again painfully slow, but was pretty chuffed that I'd managed to drag myself out atall. Right calf still tight and sore, and foam roller purchase is now top of my to do list - post run stretching is just not helping (prob cause I spent too much time not stretching for the last while!)

4.25 miles in ............... (faster than walking pace is all I'll say!)

Got a nice surprise when a casual night out with some friends, ended up turning into a party of, ahem, Olympic proportions, if you get my meaning. Met quite a few of the athletes, tried to be cool about it, probably failed! Hoping some athleticism rubbed off on me!

Friday 17th August

Another not so good day, rounding off a not so good week.

I'd planned to do the 13.1 miles in the plan yesterday, swapping in the 7 miles I missed earlier in the week to do today.

What with all the leg tightness recently, particularly my right calf, I took some advice from here and hopped out to AK on Thursday morning and invested in 'The Grid' foam roller, and some 1000 mile socks. Spent Thursday evening doing some contorting on the floor of the living room, my sis was quite amused!
    Was quite optimistic about the run, calf def felt a little better, and I'd eaten and drunk quite well throughout the day.
    Set out and the first couple of miles felt great, had to loop back to collect my water, but that was no bother. Headed down towards Chapelizod, but by mile 4 I was starting to feel rough.
    My heart was racing, no matter how slow I got - and I mean 11'45 minute miles - and my feet started burning in the runners despite the 1000 mile socks. Decided to cut the run short, rather than actually kill myself with it, and headed back home.
    The run ended up being 8.25 miles - about five short of the target.
    Spent the way home thinking about all the blood tests I was going to get done! Am thinking I'm probably iron deficient. To be honest, if my bloods are normal I'll be a bit devastated!

To top off a bad run, got home and had to spend an hour on the couch struggling not to vomit, when my post run nausea thing came back to attack me.

Woke up this morning with a sore throat, and feeling a bit rubbish, so maybe that goes some way to explaining why yesterday was so crap.

On a sole positive note, i did manage to 'run' the whole way up Knockmarroon Hill!

Taking today very easy, going to try and get bloods done tomorrow, and maybe come up with some answers:rolleyes:

Friday 17th August

Another not so good day, rounding off a not so good week.

I'd planned to do the 13.1 miles in the plan yesterday, swapping in the 7 miles I missed earlier in the week to do today.

What with all the leg tightness recently, particularly my right calf, I took some advice from here and hopped out to AK on Thursday morning and invested in 'The Grid' foam roller, and some 1000 mile socks. Spent Thursday evening doing some contorting on the floor of the living room, my sis was quite amused!
    Was quite optimistic about the run, calf def felt a little better, and I'd eaten and drunk quite well throughout the day.
    Set out and the first couple of miles felt great, had to loop back to collect my water, but that was no bother. Headed down towards Chapelizod, but by mile 4 I was starting to feel rough.
    My heart was racing, no matter how slow I got - and I mean 11'45 minute miles - and my feet started burning in the runners despite the 1000 mile socks. Decided to cut the run short, rather than actually kill myself with it, and headed back home.
    The run ended up being 8.25 miles - about five short of the target.
    Spent the way home thinking about all the blood tests I was going to get done! Am thinking I'm probably iron deficient. To be honest, if my bloods are normal I'll be a bit devastated!

To top off a bad run, got home and had to spend an hour on the couch struggling not to vomit, when my post run nausea thing came back to attack me.

Woke up this morning with a sore throat, and feeling a bit rubbish, so maybe that goes some way to explaining why yesterday was so crap.

On a sole positive note, i did manage to 'run' the whole way up Knockmarroon Hill!

Taking today very easy, going to try and get bloods done tomorrow, and maybe come up with some answers:rolleyes:

Hey, sorry to hear you've had such a bad week. Sounds like you may have something viral. A lot of bugs out there. Or maybe just run down a bit. Hope you get to the bottom it soon.

Bought The Grid myself today so hoping I can get some benefit from it too.

Hey, sorry to hear you've had such a bad week. Sounds like you may have something viral. A lot of bugs out there. Or maybe just run down a bit. Hope you get to the bottom it soon.

Bought The Grid myself today so hoping I can get some benefit from it too.

Grid is great! I'm not entirely sure what I should be doing with it, hence all the contorting around, but it definitely made a difference with my calf - now I just have to put the rest of myself back together!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hope you are feeling better....and perhaps you've had some bloods done and have some answers. I do take an iron supplement and I think it benefits me, but definitely listen to your doctor.

I think you're doing great! I really have no credibility when it comes to running advice but I might suggest that for your first marathon, training paces are probably less important than putting in the mileage itself. Make sure you enjoy what you are doing because the journey to race day is so significant. If your doctor declares you fit as a fiddle, then reevaluate your program/amount of time you have to train/goals, and make any adjustments that might improve the training landscape. And don't be afraid to leave the Garmin at home for some of your runs. Sometimes just running by happy feel is liberating and is the kick you need. You'll be fine. And like everyone and their grandmother has told you....enjoy this first marathon. :)

Grid is great! I'm not entirely sure what I should be doing with it, hence all the contorting around, but it definitely made a difference with my calf - now I just have to put the rest of myself back together!

There are some good instructional videos on you tube.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Hope you are feeling better....and perhaps you've had some bloods done and have some answers. I do take an iron supplement and I think it benefits me, but definitely listen to your doctor.

I think you're doing great! I really have no credibility when it comes to running advice but I might suggest that for your first marathon, training paces are probably less important than putting in the mileage itself. Make sure you enjoy what you are doing because the journey to race day is so significant. If your doctor declares you fit as a fiddle, then reevaluate your program/amount of time you have to train/goals, and make any adjustments that might improve the training landscape. And don't be afraid to leave the Garmin at home for some of your runs. Sometimes just running by happy feel is liberating and is the kick you need. You'll be fine. And like everyone and their grandmother has told you....enjoy this first marathon. :)

Thanks Dory!
    Actually have ended up much worse, got a full on proper chest infection - first time ever to take a course of antibiotics! Have felt horrendous the last few days, but getting back to myself now, won't be running for about another week but that's ok!
    Haven't had the bloods done yet (a friend is going to do the honours and haven't been well enough to get down to her), but this has probably been brewing a couple of weeks, and at least it explains how miserable I've been.
    That's great advice about the marathon. Given all I've missed now, I'm going to take a big step back, and just get the training done for the next few weeks, and completely stop thinking about time - even though that's really hard!
    This has made me realise that the enjoyment has gone out of my running for the last little while - and that's been the whole point of it for me in the first place - one of my big happy memories of the year has been finishing the Connemarathon!
    So I aim to be back next week, loaded down with iron tablets and some vitamin supplements, fresh and ready to start again!

• Advertisement

There are some good instructional videos on you tube.

Thanks RedRunner - the lack of running has miraculously solved my leg stiffness, but will def have a look at the videos, I looked so ridiculous I must have been doing it wrong!

Well, I'm back.

I spent a week recovering from a pretty bad infection, then had my bloods checked out when I went back to work. Turns out I'm pretty severely anaemic, with borderline non-existent iron and ferritin levels.
    TBH, when I found this out, I was pretty relieved - I was starting to feel like there was something psychosomatic going on. I was much more lethargic than previously, and finding the running so much harder than I had been a couple of months ago. On top of this I was making no improvement in my running atall recently, with my times starting to get worse!
    I was getting worried about trying to get the longer runs done, and a bit freaked out by how difficult this had all become. At least now I know why it was so much harder!! I'm on a double dose of Galfer, and am eating steak till it's coming out of my eyes, but don't know if this will sort me out in time!
    I started back running yesterday, with an easy 3 miles. I'd started out aiming for two, but felt ok enough to push it to 3. Was lovely!
    Followed this up with another 3 miles today - spent most of it on the phone to a friend so I was definitley running at conversational pace!

So what now?
    Luckily I'd started a couple of weeks early, so had some wriggle room. But as it stands, I haven't run in 2 weeks, and missed a couple of LSR's on top of that. At the moment, there's 8 weeks left till DCM, so I'm going to drop back to Hal Higdon novice 1, swop around weeks 11 and 12, so this week looks like
    4m/8m/5m/12m

I'm going to give this a go - if it doesn't work out, there's always next year, but I'm really hoping I'm able for it! We'll see . . . . .

Forgot to say, finished the run this morning just in time to get to Croker for the match.
    Hon Mayo:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Forgot to say, finished the run this morning just in time to get to Croker for the match.
    Hon Mayo:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Watched it from a pub in Glasgow after running half marathon!

Ah well...at least I ran a PB

Mayo deserved it based on their first half performance.

So well done on that from a frustrated Dub......at least I wont have any distractions now from any LSRs from now until DCM:)

Well, I'm back.

I spent a week recovering from a pretty bad infection, then had my bloods checked out when I went back to work. Turns out I'm pretty severely anaemic, with borderline non-existent iron and ferritin levels.
    TBH, when I found this out, I was pretty relieved - I was starting to feel like there was something psychosomatic going on. I was much more lethargic than previously, and finding the running so much harder than I had been a couple of months ago. On top of this I was making no improvement in my running atall recently, with my times starting to get worse!
    I was getting worried about trying to get the longer runs done, and a bit freaked out by how difficult this had all become. At least now I know why it was so much harder!! I'm on a double dose of Galfer, and am eating steak till it's coming out of my eyes, but don't know if this will sort me out in time!
    I started back running yesterday, with an easy 3 miles. I'd started out aiming for two, but felt ok enough to push it to 3. Was lovely!
    Followed this up with another 3 miles today - spent most of it on the phone to a friend so I was definitley running at conversational pace!

So what now?
    Luckily I'd started a couple of weeks early, so had some wriggle room. But as it stands, I haven't run in 2 weeks, and missed a couple of LSR's on top of that. At the moment, there's 8 weeks left till DCM, so I'm going to drop back to Hal Higdon novice 1, swop around weeks 11 and 12, so this week looks like
    4m/8m/5m/12m

I'm going to give this a go - if it doesn't work out, there's always next year, but I'm really hoping I'm able for it! We'll see . . . . .

Best of luck getting back into it...hope it goes well!

just curious if you made it to start line of DCM? and if you did, how did you get on?

Very sadly, no. Happily back running after a miserable few weeks tho, have been planning to get this log back on track so thanks Red for giving me a nudge! Will post properly tomorrow with my saga!!

September - December 2012

I promise I'll make this three month update relatively quick!
    Well, I had a disaster of an August/September. Finding out I was anaemic was a relief, but unfortunately solving the problem took a little longer than I had hoped. This was probably because I had been ignoring my slowing times since late May, so I had a long road back.
    (As a quick warning - my symptoms were lethargy, shortness of breath at things that had been no bother to me, heart racing after all my runs, dramatic slowing of times, and a little bit of chest discomfort - silly me for ignoring :rolleyes:)
    Hoped for quite a while that I might make the marathon, but it gradually dawned that the race was running away from me! I followed the novices thread, and was impressed (and a little bit jealous) of all the performances! Some really great running, and I was sorry I couldn't be part of it.
    Ran the odd day, but wasn't feeling the love till mid October when I started back properly with a 13 day running streak! I've been running about five days a week since, but keeping the distances short for now, between 3 and 5 miles most weeks - my longest run recently has been a less than long 8 miles.
    Felt like I'd a bit of a breakthrough at the Remembrance Run 5k in November, managed a new PB of 25.55 - still slow but going the right direction!
    In summary

October 73.3 miles Av Pace 10.00/mile

November 91.1 miles Av Pace 10.07/mile

(Aiming for a 100 miles in December - we'll see!)

December 8th/9th
    Finally made it to the parkrun in Malahide yesterday - am NEVER normally up that early on a Saturday - and it was as good as I had hoped. Lovely run, and lots of friendly people, was buzzing all day after this run.
    5k in 26.10
    Today I watched Fionnuala Britton and her amazing victory! I think I must have been inspired, cause I went out for a quick 5k, started slowly enough and ended up doing my fastest mile ever
    5k in 26.10 (yep both the same)
    Mile 1 - 9'15
    Mile 2 - 8'29
    Mile 3 - 7'36!!

My new targets are vague as yet, I don't want to get ahead of myself, but am going to keep doing the parkruns (loved yesterday!), Raheny 5 mile in January, and get ready for a Spring marathon. I'm also hoping to get more of my friends running with me, and maybe finally meet up with some of the great people on here!

10th December

Starting off a few days annual leave - long wished for - with no particular plans. Started out on a 4m, but switched to a 5 mile to include the war memorial gardens. Lovely chilly run, the mist rising from the liffey was v relaxing.
    After spending about an hour yesterday evening, deboxing and trying to figure out what goes where I debuted my new Garmin as well!
    5m in 48.19
    Av Pace 9'38/mile

Packed up the car for a trip west . . .and it won't start. Off to buy some jumpleads.

• Advertisement

11th December

Made it home, thanks to breakdown assist!
    Nice hilly run, nice to be breaking 9 minutes regularly in training, new for me!
    3m in 27.24
    Av Pace 9.08/mile

Advertisement