Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No longer last

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭pansophelia

December 12th

Rain chucking down, fierce wind blowing, I hmmd and hawwed about this run for about an hour before I decided to HTFU and get out. First mile was run at an easy pace, so was surprised to discover it was 8'54. I decided to push on a bit for the next mile and came in at 8'34. Getting close enough to a 5k PB, so went for it the third mile, up hill, in the lashing rain and managed 8.04 - delighted! Did a warm down mile at 9'50 pace - felt amazing once I got home!
    4.25m in 38.05
    Av Pace 8.58/mile

December 13th

What a difference a day makes! Sun shining, wind free, but def cold enough to keep my ski hat on!
    Decided to go for a slightly longer run - was thinking 6 miles - and see how I'd get on. Set off down the road - first mile in, no problems. Then hit the main road - to set the scene, I live in a VERY rural area, but with a big company doing big company type things locally, from time to time the 'main road' is hit with lorry after lorry after lorry thundering by. Today, one just came a little too close for comfort. Off the main track again after mile two on to what turned out to be the hardest mile of all, the third mile. Wind picked up, it got a bit colder, and I wasn't feeling the love for the desolation of this particular stretch of road.
    Turned around at mile 3, but decided to take the long way home - mainly up hill, but was a lovely five mile stretch. Along by the lake, up a half mile hill that nearly finished me and then the glorious downhill stretch home.
    Great run - need to push myself on the length of my longer runs, after how bad I felt over the summer they still make me a bit nervous!

8 miles in 1:19:16
    Av Pace 9'54/mile

Added bonus - have discovered my Garmin is giving me slightly better times than the phone app I've been using up till now (used both today), yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Good to see you back in the game!

Mad Christmassy busy - and mad work busy too sadly, but still been managaing to get a bit of running in.

Fri 14th December
    Short recovery run - really just stretching the legs a bit, short hilly loop at home.
    2.71 m in 27:28
    Av Pace 10.09/mile

Sat 15th December
    Inspired by a few of the logs on here, I thought I'd try something a little bit different, and possibly off road. A quarter a mile up a local trail, I remembered why I hadn't tried this before - ankle deep in mud and had slowed to what was truthfully only a slow walk. Ran back through the local town instead - will leave the off road action to something drier!
    5.13 m in 51:10
    Av Pace 9.58/mile

Sun 16th December
    I attempted to cure the mother of all hangovers with a run to collect my abandoned car - it mostly worked! Well, that and some Brufen.
    2.75 m in roughly 10 minute mile pace

Monday - Broke my 12 day running streak - visited a friend's new baby instead!

Tuesday 18th December
    Had to force myself out the door to do this run, was exhausted and had a bad headache. Headache persisted throughout the run, but I really felt way way better after finishing than I did before I left.
    I did my usual new loop around through Chapelizod and through Ballyer back into Inchicore. Lovely!
    4m in 38:30
    Av Pace 9:37/mile

Wednesday 19th December
    I've been keep a close eye on the Dublin graduates log, and decide to have a semi bash at the speed session!
    I'm aiming for the Raheny 5 mile at the end of January, goal time is aiming for 8.30/mile pace (faster than my current 5k pace, but you have to be ambitious!), so did a mile warm up, then 4 miles at threshold pace with 2 or 3 minutes recovery. Now all my times are very rough, as I haven't quite figured out how to create a workout in my Garmin, but I think I came pretty close to goal pace for each of the 4 miles.
    This was proper tough - but I liked it.
    You get used to working really hard, third mile was toughest with a hill in the middle, but the fourth was grand, and I briefly thought about pushing for a fifth before deciding I really was too hungry!

6.66 miles in 1:00:00
    Av Pace 9.00/mile (lovely numbers) - this included the pace miles and the slow recoveries and a warm up/cool down.

Thursday 20th December

Spent an unexpected evening caroling after work - which meant I was late home so just skipped out for a 2 mile recovery. This was really just an effort to burn off some of the many Roses I've been eating - don't think it was enough of an effort to be successful!

This all might look a bit unstructured - and to be honest it is. I'm just trying to build up the mileage and make sure I enjoy running - I also want to get a bit faster, so trying to do the occasional speed session!
    Planning to do Jantastic to keep the motivation up in January, I've joined the boards team on Marathon Talk!
    I've still to work out my goal races for next year - which marathon the big question?!

RedRunner wrote: »
    Good to see you back in the game!

I think I am really back!

Well Christmas has proved a bit of a mixed bag ...

Friday 21st
    4m in 37.23
    Av Pace 9:19/mile
    Nice pre Christmas run, just aiming to keep legs ticking over, had a feeling the next few days would be anti running

Saturday 22nd
    Had been thinking about parkrun, but getting home from leggs at half four wasn't really ideal preparation - turned the alarm back off
    Managed to get out for only 2 miles, before another night out!
    2m in 18:48
    Av Pace 9:22/mile

Sunday - shopping
    Monday - working, then a frantic drive west!!

Christmas Day
    3 pre mass miles in 27:18
    Av Pace 9:06/mile

Thursday 27th
    Back in work - so quickly! 3 miles just beforehand, legs a bit stiff from the drive up.
    3m in 27:44

Saturday 29th
    Lay in bed debating whether to run- debated so long that I almost ran out of time - so a short 3 miler, very much felt the effects of previous nights drinks
    3m in 28:44

Sunday 30th
    Back west again! Had to come home as is my birthday today! I wanted to celebrate / rage against the passing of time, by getting in a decent run. The weather gods were definitely against me, and looking out made me rethink my vague plans. So didnt eat anything, just had a small glass of water, and thought sure ill just do a couple of miles.
    But then I started running, and a steep downhill gave me confidence to try the mainly off road long loop I was thinking of.
    Now this loop is a long stretch on a bog road through some of the most godforsaken bleak countryside the west coast has to offer! I thought it was roughly 8 miles - more of that later!
    The first two miles brought me through the village (dead at ten in the morning after an eventful night) in relatively balmy conditions. At this point I was even thinking I didn't need my jacket. Miles 1 and 2 were 9:42 and 9:39.
    Then the off road section started, the first mile was mainly uphill and my pace slowed to 11:02, but then the wind picked up and blew me up a few tough sections. It was wet - almost wading wet at times - and lonely - not so much as a sheep insight for miles and miles - but the off road section was pretty great. Miles 4 and 5 were 10.30 and 9:25 - I love running downhill!!
    Hit the country road again and this was where things started getting tough. Realised I was further from home than I thought, starving, thirsty and running against a relentlessly driving wind. Then it started raining.
    Miles 6 and 7 were 9:38 and 9:47 - it was much harder than previously but I felt the miles were still ticking by quickly enough.
    Mile 8 was probably the toughest I've ever run. Rain was pelting against my face painfully, wind was blowing me into the middle of the road but the quickest way to get home at this point was to keep putting one foot in front of the other, so I did! Mile 8 was 10.09 and mile 9 was 10.21 ( uphill)!
    Finally made it back to collapse in front of the hot fire.
    9.6 miles in 1:35:44
    Av Pace 10.04/ mile
    This felt like a birthday present to myself, longest run in quite a while, phew!

Now to get myself ready for Jantastic!

• Advertisement

Well Christmas has proved a bit of a mixed bag ...

Friday 21st
    4m in 37.23
    Av Pace 9:19/mile
    Nice pre Christmas run, just aiming to keep legs ticking over, had a feeling the next few days would be anti running

Saturday 22nd
    Had been thinking about parkrun, but getting home from leggs at half four wasn't really ideal preparation - turned the alarm back off
    Managed to get out for only 2 miles, before another night out!
    2m in 18:48
    Av Pace 9:22/mile

Sunday - shopping
    Monday - working, then a frantic drive west!!

Christmas Day
    3 pre mass miles in 27:18
    Av Pace 9:06/mile

Thursday 27th
    Back in work - so quickly! 3 miles just beforehand, legs a bit stiff from the drive up.
    3m in 27:44

Saturday 29th
    Lay in bed debating whether to run- debated so long that I almost ran out of time - so a short 3 miler, very much felt the effects of previous nights drinks
    3m in 28:44

Sunday 30th
    Back west again! Had to come home as is my birthday today! I wanted to celebrate / rage against the passing of time, by getting in a decent run. The weather gods were definitely against me, and looking out made me rethink my vague plans. So didnt eat anything, just had a small glass of water, and thought sure ill just do a couple of miles.
    But then I started running, and a steep downhill gave me confidence to try the mainly off road long loop I was thinking of.
    Now this loop is a long stretch on a bog road through some of the most godforsaken bleak countryside the west coast has to offer! I thought it was roughly 8 miles - more of that later!
    The first two miles brought me through the village (dead at ten in the morning after an eventful night) in relatively balmy conditions. At this point I was even thinking I didn't need my jacket. Miles 1 and 2 were 9:42 and 9:39.
    Then the off road section started, the first mile was mainly uphill and my pace slowed to 11:02, but then the wind picked up and blew me up a few tough sections. It was wet - almost wading wet at times - and lonely - not so much as a sheep insight for miles and miles - but the off road section was pretty great. Miles 4 and 5 were 10.30 and 9:25 - I love running downhill!!
    Hit the country road again and this was where things started getting tough. Realised I was further from home than I thought, starving, thirsty and running against a relentlessly driving wind. Then it started raining.
    Miles 6 and 7 were 9:38 and 9:47 - it was much harder than previously but I felt the miles were still ticking by quickly enough.
    Mile 8 was probably the toughest I've ever run. Rain was pelting against my face painfully, wind was blowing me into the middle of the road but the quickest way to get home at this point was to keep putting one foot in front of the other, so I did! Mile 8 was 10.09 and mile 9 was 10.21 ( uphill)!
    Finally made it back to collapse in front of the hot fire.
    9.6 miles in 1:35:44
    Av Pace 10.04/ mile
    This felt like a birthday present to myself, longest run in quite a while, phew!

Now to get myself ready for Jantastic!

Nice work there!..and Happy Birthday!

What's Jantastic btw?

Nice work there!..and Happy Birthday!

What's Jantastic btw?

Thanks!
    Jantastic is the marathon talk motivation for jan/feb/march! Idea is that you have to state how many runs a week you're going to do in January, length of long runs in feb and guess a race time for march. Boards have a team! It's on marathontalk.com if you want a look!

Thanks!
    Jantastic is the marathon talk motivation for jan/feb/march! Idea is that you have to state how many runs a week you're going to do in January, length of long runs in feb and guess a race time for march. Boards have a team! It's on marathontalk.com if you want a look!
    Cool..thanks. Will check it out.

Mon 31st January
    Recovery run after the exhaustion of the day before. It was also a recovery run for an online fitness test for this Insanity workout my brothers are doing - lots of power jumps/kicks/oblique blah things - was shocked at my unfitness, brutal! Running felt the lazy option after this.

2.09 miles in 21:23
    Av Pace 10:15/mile

No running Tuesday - lovely long lazy dayl

Wednesday 2nd January
    Motivated myself for this by reading a couple of ironman training logs - seriously impressive. I felt full of beans with yesterdays rest, and took off faster than planned. I felt like I was going at about 9 minute/mile pace, but when the Garmin buzzed it was a little bit faster! I was on my 5 mile route and the pace felt steady, so i decided to try and keep sub 9 for 4 miles and then do a mile warm down at the end.
    There were lots of people out and about today, and it was lovely and mild too, positively spring like!
    By mile 4 I was finding the pace a little tough, but was REALLY tempted to push the fifth mile as I knew if I did I'd beat my five mile PB (from last May, 43:52) but decided to just take it easy and do a proper cool down. Problem was I couldn't slow down! Felt like I was crawling but was still just over 9 minute/mile (I know I know, that is crawling for some people) - so with about 150 metres to go, I decided to just leg it, with the result being
    5 miles in 43:25 - a sort of new PB!!
    Av Pace 8.41/mile

So new year - new plans??

Overall had a great year last year, with the Conn Half and Ballina Half being the highlights. I was disappointed not to make the start line at Dublin, but am happy that I'm still running regularly.
    Roughly ran 850-900 miles (got deleted from the 1000 mile challenge list!), and feel that most of my PBs are pretty soft (fighting talk).

Below is a training year review I did a few weeks ago based on questions in a running magazine - going to put it here so I can keep an eye on it!

What were the highlights of your running year? What went well?

Connemarathon – Half – Crossing finish line was amazing
    Ballina Half – tough but satisfying, home race
    Parkrun – Good time, ran with good friend, long high afterwards!
    MSB 5k – running with brother
    Remembrane run 5k – running with my sister, and a PB

Training for Conn Half went well, didn’t expect too much. Went out at my own pace, and listened to my body (no watch etc). Achieved better than expected!

Parkrun – felt like I was back, even more so than during Remembrance

What did you do in your training and racing to achieve these highlights?

Training – consistency, sticking to plan, especially long runs. Added a little speed work over last couple of months – only a little, has definitley made a difference.
    Racing – went by how I felt, particularly in Connemarathon. Pushed on in last stretch of race if I could. Started going out more cautiously after blowing up spectacularly in May.

List the top five things you did in training that ‘worked’ and that you are going to build on over the winter.
    1/ Consistent running – five times a week seems to suit me, even if one or two of those is pretty short
    2/ Introducing speedwork – even a little bit has picked up my pace and given me confidence back
    3/ Long runs – was religious about these for the half and in the first part of marathon training, have done barely any since I’ve gotten back running
    4/ Regular racing – very motivating, so plan to include regular parkruns
    5/ Including hills – made Conn hell of the west a bit of a doddle!

List the things you would like to do differently or get better at in your training and racing this winter.
    Identify potential problems quicker – don’t let myself get run down like that again.
    Speedwork – I REALLY want to get a little faster
    Long Runs – need to get back on track with these!

What are the barriers/obstacles that exist in your plan?
    My own willpower!
    Anaemia – need to stay on top of this
    Work – Lack of defined time off in work, unable to plan races as uncertain of whether I'll be working, 36 hr shifts = exhaustion
    Time Management - This is doable, I just need to be a bit more creative.

What are you going to do to be a better runner? Prioritise in order of importance.
    Get out the door and run. THIS is most important thing I can do every day.
    ENJOY the running – or at least the aftermath.
    Run with friends/family
    Do Jantastic for motivation and goal setting
    Do regular parkruns
    Join a club – eek!
    Do two marathons
    Get over the 1000 mile mark

Targets for 2013

5k – 25.55 – Sub 23 (nearly 3 minutes/15 seconds a month) Aim to be comfortably doing sub 25 by June in Parkrun regularly.
    5m - 43:25 - Sub 40
    10k – N/A – Sub 49
    Half Marathon – 2.04.55 – Sub 1.50 (15 minutes off, c. 90 seconds a month)
    Marathon – N/A - Sub 4.00

Goal Races
    Cork Marathon in June - Just decided this today! Won't know till April if I can actually do this (work reasons) but am going to plan and train for it anyway.
    5 mile in Raheny
    BHAA RTE 5 mile in May
    Ballina Half in May
    Park Runs
    Will look for another half to fit in with Cork training too.

If anyone has any suggestions for training plans that would be great, started HHN2 while training for DCM and was up to W13 - it was ok really so might just start it again in a few weeks. Also open to alternatives!

Phew - hadn't planned this post to be so long:o

Thursday 3rd January

5m av pace 9'56/mile
    Headed out for 4 miles but decided to do 5 - lovely mild morning for a run. This felt a bit harder than it should have tho - started talking to myself to see if I could without being breathless. I really need to find other people to run with! Think lack of sleep was what made this tougher, need to GO TO BED EARLY. Not in my nature, sigh.

• Advertisement

Friday 4th January

I had to drag myself off the couch this evening - I usually manage by tricking myself and say 'Sure I'll just do 2 miles, and I can cut it short even earlier if I want too' - once I'm out it's usually fine.

3 miles in 27:50 minutes

I did the 'talking to myself to check if my breathing is really easy' thing again this evening - got some funny looks, Dublin is too public a place to be trying this.
    I'm thinking about Parkrun tomorrow morning, hmmmmm

Friday 4th January

I had to drag myself off the couch this evening - I usually manage by tricking myself and say 'Sure I'll just do 2 miles, and I can cut it short even earlier if I want too' - once I'm out it's usually fine.

3 miles in 27:50 minutes

I did the 'talking to myself to check if my breathing is really easy' thing again this evening - got some funny looks, Dublin is too public a place to be trying this.
    I'm thinking about Parkrun tomorrow morning, hmmmmm

Did you make it out this morning?

Did you make it out this morning?

I did!

Dragged myself out of bed, faffed around for half an hour almost making myself late, then headed over to Malahide. Was by myself, but proudly sporting my boards t shirt! My goal for this race was to finally FINALLY go sub 25 - PB is 25:55, but thought I could top this.
    New Years Resolutions out in force, and the place was thronged, probably twice as many runners as the last time I was there. Lovely morning for a run, really mild. I was keeping an eagle eye out for boards t shirts, but didn't spy any atall.
    I've been holding back on the first mile in races lately (after spectacularly blowing up in a race a few months ago by going too hard!) so pushed it a bit this time, aiming for 8min/mile pace but mile 1 went by in 7:36. I had to push down the panic when I saw that, as I thought it was too hard, but then I realised that it was tough but reasonably ok.
    Mile 2 felt harder but again was fine in 7:39 - the start of Mile 3 was where I started to struggle, I slowed a little as I have such a fear of exploding badly (I have watched about 400 people run by me as I dragged myself to the end of a previous 5k), but kept going. I attached myself to a guy in front of me in a red tshirt and basically stuck to him - this may have been slightly annoying for him, but it was a great help!! The last half mile I really wanted to take it easy, but forced myself to keep going (tried that 'relax through discomfort' mantra), dragged myself up the hill and sprinted to the finish. Mile 3 was 7:55 - but that extra tenth of a mile is so important! I stopped my Garmin at 24:06 - so an almost two minute PB, but so close to 23:xx!! Still waiting for the official results, but this run totally exceeded my expectations - strung three sub 8 minute miles together, can't believe it.
    So didn't meet any boardsies but did bump into a college friend currently living in Australia who's home for Christmas - her usual Parkruns are on the Gold Coast.
    Great morning, sorry not to meet you RedRunner, or any of the other boardsies, but there's always another Saturday:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Great running, good PB as its a difficult enough course for a PB due to its corners and the bit of trail included.
    Well done, hopefully see you there some time.

Well done on the run this morning.That's a great improvent on your previous PB. Was looking out for other boards t-shirts too but didnt see any. Maybe my eyesight is going as well as my hamstring! Pity I missed you, looks like I won't be out for next couple of weeks now while I try recover from this injury.

Keep up your good work.Looks like its paying off!

Update:

Official results show a time of 24:10 - still delighted, 10th female home out of 92!

Mightn't get back for a couple of weeks myself, but would recommend Parkrun to anyone! Have to say the thought of Avoca at the finish crossed my mind more than once in the last mile!

Update:

Official results show a time of 24:10 - still delighted, 10th female home out of 92!

Mightn't get back for a couple of weeks myself, but would recommend Parkrun to anyone! Have to say the thought of Avoca at the finish crossed my mind more than once in the last mile!
    Super stuff. Well done.

Sunday 7th January

I headed out to the Phoenix Park this morning for a longish run - was thinking around 9 miles. This was a lovely run, did a long loop around the park - loads of people out this morning, think I spotted Maria McCambridge at one point, gliding along in the opposite direction.
    This was my longest run since last summer, and didn't feel hard at any point. The pace wasn't entirely even, but effort was pretty constant throughout. I threw in a marathon pace mile at the eighth mile, but it ended up being a little too fast, and finished with a warm down mile to bring myself back to my door.
    Splits were
    9:39/10:11/9:51/9:43/9:53/9:49/10:15/9:58/8:52/9:57
    10 miles in 1:38:14
    Av Pace 9'49/mile
    In hindsight, maybe a tad too fast!

Monday 8th January
    First day of Jantastic! (For January my goal is five runs/week)

Had a few little jobs to do, so used my recovery run to buy some bin tags in the post office, and get extra keys cut. Because of these jobs, I ended up doing the reverse of my usual 3 mile route - it's amazing how doing something in the opposite direction makes it seem completely different. A bit achy today, so this was just an easy recovery run
    3m in 30:30
    Av Pace 10'09/mile

So, I've thought a bit more about it, and I'm going to follow a slightly scaled back version of Meno's plan in the graduates plan with goal races of Raheny 5 and Bohermeen Half. After the half I'll have a look at a couple of plans and jump into one aiming for Cork (already thinking probably HHI2).

Tuesday 8th January

5m in 47:42 Av Pace 9:32/mile
    Don't remember very much about this run - I think it was warm and sunny and lovely run down by the river ( but I could be wrong! )

Wednesday 9th January
    Even though I'm not a DCM graduate, I've been keeping a close eye on the DCM Graduate thread, and have been half trying out some of Meno's sessions. So I thought I'd give this one a bash, but modified it a bit, given that my longest run in months was ten miles on Sunday.

So I aimed for
    1m warm up/2m at mara pace (9min/mile)/2m at half-mara pace (8:30/mile)/2m at mara pace/1m cool down
    (I knocked the hardest bit off Meno's plan really)

I couldn't think of somewhere good to do this run at night, that wouldn't involve a lot of traffic lights, and it was quite a bit longer than my usual loop. So I headed up to the Phoenix Park - I had in my head that the lighting was a little better than it actually is. This run was positively eerie! Got to the first marathon pace mile just before I arrived at the Phoenix park, had to slow myself down to the right pace initially, but it quickly became pretty hard to sustain. Was distracted by the mist rising off the ground - at times the light reflected on it and I couldn't see the ground atall, felt like I was running on air!
    Unfortunately I couldn't see the Garmin either, so pacing a bit off the first mile, but was even enough after that - pleased over all, concentrating on pace made the miles fly by. I thought about pushing on at the end, but my right hip was quite tight so I decided to jog a nice easy mile home.

Actual Pace
    9.48/9.14 (oops)/9.00/8.28/8.32/9.00/8.53/10.11/(2.06)
    8.21 miles in 1:15:17
    Av pace 9:11/mile

• Advertisement

It's dodgy there at night, but better with a headlamp!

Alternatively, run on the hard shoulder!

It's dodgy there at night, but better with a headlamp!

Alternatively, run on the hard shoulder!

I realised a headlamp might be a good idea halfway into the run - what with the mist and the old fashioned lamps giving out their miserable bit of light I felt like I was in Victorian London.
    Think you're right about the dodginess though, I tend to have an exaggerated sense of my own safety!

Thursday 10th
    Had very little time this morning, due to not being able to drag myself out of bed, so a very very short recovery run - legs felt like lumps of lead after last night!
    1.5m (the shame!) in about 15:30, roughly 10:15 pace
    Legs feel way better now tho!

Thursday 10th
    Had very little time this morning, due to not being able to drag myself out of bed, so a very very short recovery run - legs felt like lumps of lead after last night!
    1.5m (the shame!) in about 15:30, roughly 10:15 pace
    Legs feel way better now tho!

Every little bit counts!:) I'd love to be able to do 1.5m at the moment

Headed west for a few days - little internet but lovely running

Friday 11th
    Working then driving across the country - no running

Saturday 12th
    For my LSR this week I thought I'd do the loop I did two weeks ago - in my lashing rain on my birthday - it nearly killed me then, so why not give it another go!
    Couldn't have been a more different run - sun shining, positively balmy at times. This is a really hilly run - slowed way way down on the hills, but pace on the (relatively) flat seemed easy, listened to the Marathon Talk podcast with Mike Tomlinson (he spoke about his wife who was unbelievably inspiring) and the miles ticked by. This is a beautiful run, nothing to see but bogs, hills and lake in the distance.And a few sheep - was quizzed carefully about the exact position of said sheep when I got home. Added an extra mile on to the end to make it a bit more legitimate as an LSR. Felt great at the end - very different to a couple of weeks ago.
    I took a couple of pictures that I'll put up when I figure out how!
    10.27 miles in 1:44:08 Av Pace 10.09/mile
    Elevation 749 ft

Sunday 13th
    Day of blissful rest and roaring fire

Plan for this week is
    - Run 5 days
    - Midweek LSR as planning Parkrun on Saturday and working on Sunday
    - Meno's session from Graduates thread

Monday 14th
    Still in west, headed out for this run planning to do between 3 and 5 miles, hadn't really decided. It was a showery morning, but as I ran down a straight stretch of road this random hail shower let rip. I was wearing a hat and jacket and my face was being absolutely pelted - it hurt so much that I had to turn around and run the other direction. Finished out four miles, but I can's say this was any fun.
    4m in 39:57
    Av Pace 9.59/mile

Tuesday 15th
    So it was a bit soon after the last LSR, but I decided to do my lovely loop again to get the long(ish) run done - besides these crazy hills can only help. I reversed the loop this time, and met two walkers on The Loneliest Road in the World - gave one neighbour a heart attack by running downhill at high speed behind her!
    10m in 1:39:27
    Av Pace 9.57/mile

Wednesday 16th
    Very late night recovery run back in Dublin - nearly didn't do this but really wanted to eat some post Christmas left over After Eights and this was a good excuse
    3m in 29:20
    Av Pace 9.46/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

........, listened to the Marathon Talk podcast with Mike Tomlinson (he spoke about his wife who was unbelievably inspiring)

I was listening to this on my run on Monday also, I was in floods of tears as I ran. It certainly made me feel lucky to be alive and healthy

Thursday 17th

Plan - 1m warm up, 2x2mile and 1x1mile at 5m pace with 5minutes recovery between efforts.

This was a holy disaster. Did this first thing this morning, without eating anything, but that would be pretty normal for me. My goal 5m pace is 8 minutes/mile - this is based on the 5k from a couple of weeks ago where I managed 7.40/mile. To be honest, I didn't think this session was going to be that bad.
    I set it up on Garmin connect with pace band of 8-8.15/mile, nice bit of a cushion just in case.
    Warning that things weren't quite right came on the warm up, stopped at lights and noticed heart racing a little, even though pace vv slow.
    Watch buzzed me to start the first interval - felt ok, for about five minutes, then I gradually felt worse and worse. Maintained the pace, but knew early on I'd never manage to finish the session, I just aimed to get the first two mile interval done. Didn't even get that far, got a stitch, that turned into generalised abdo pain, and 1.3 miles in I had to stop. Stopped dead, half retching at the side of the road. Waited a couple of minutes, then restarted forcing myself to get to the 2 mile mark.
    Got to 2 miles, then stopped dead again. It wasn't even that I couldn't keep the pace, I could barely keep jogging along atall! Sat on a bench for five minutes, then jogged back home. I haven't felt like I couldn't keep running pretty much since I started, don't know what's going on.
    So going to have to limit my ambitions for the Parkrun on Saturday and the Raheny 5 - after being happy with how things were going lately this is a bit of a setback.

In summary
    Mile 1 9.55
    2 and 3 - av 8.16
    1/2 mile - 10.40
    Then restarted Garmin and did last mile in 10.59
    4.5 miles total

Marthastew wrote: »
    I was listening to this on my run on Monday also, I was in floods of tears as I ran. It certainly made me feel lucky to be alive and healthy

Wasn't she unbelievable?! Fracturing her pelvis during the half marathon, cycling across America - incredible. I also liked the fact that she wasn't doing it for charity, she was doing it for herself, but she used what she was doing to help as many people as possible.
    Makes my moany post above about today's interval session seem a bit ridiculous :rolleyes:

Parkrun 5k

I had been looking forward to trying for another PB earlier on in the week, but the failed session on Thursday put paid to that! Feeling a bit under the weather the past couple of days too, so all in all had decided that I'd take this one a bit easier.
    Headed over with my brother and sister, two first-timers, so it was a great family day. Stayed dry for the actual race, but the course was practically cross country, came around a sharp bend at one point to be faced with a long stretch ankle deep with water. I found this race mentally tough. I knew I didn't have a chance at a PB, but still wanted to try - every so often thoughts would start flying in - why bother pushing yourself, just take it easy, you could jog it in! But latched on to a couple of people and kept going. Slowed lap by lap - given the amount of water I was carrying around in my shoes this prob wasn't surprising. Coming near the end a guy told me to move past him, I replied that that wasn't likely to happen, but then I realised if I could speak a full sentence at this point I probably wasn't running hard enough, so pegged it to the end. Nearly threw up after the finish line, so think I tried!
    Mile times were 7.55/8.15/8.28, I forgot to stop my watch at the finish line - results are just up and show finish time of 25.33.
    Once I finished fake vomiting, I jogged back and met up with sister and finished the course with her. The brother had flown around and finished in 19.xx. We dragged our mud splattered selves into Avoca and had a lovely breakfast where I met Plodder!
    As usual, great crowd, great volunteers. Happy with the day given how I felt beforehand, just need to stop moving backwards now!
    5k in 25.33 + extra mile at slow pace.

• Advertisement

Great run, well done for doing it given the conditions.

Advertisement