Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No longer last

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭pansophelia

Great run, well done for doing it given the conditions.

Thanks, was great fun really, I'm not one for mud normally but its funny how you just don't care during the race! Imagining it beforehand is the hard part!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Parkrun 5k

I had been looking forward to trying for another PB earlier on in the week, but the failed session on Thursday put paid to that! Feeling a bit under the weather the past couple of days too, so all in all had decided that I'd take this one a bit easier.
    Headed over with my brother and sister, two first-timers, so it was a great family day. Stayed dry for the actual race, but the course was practically cross country, came around a sharp bend at one point to be faced with a long stretch ankle deep with water. I found this race mentally tough. I knew I didn't have a chance at a PB, but still wanted to try - every so often thoughts would start flying in - why bother pushing yourself, just take it easy, you could jog it in! But latched on to a couple of people and kept going. Slowed lap by lap - given the amount of water I was carrying around in my shoes this prob wasn't surprising. Coming near the end a guy told me to move past him, I replied that that wasn't likely to happen, but then I realised if I could speak a full sentence at this point I probably wasn't running hard enough, so pegged it to the end. Nearly threw up after the finish line, so think I tried!
    Mile times were 7.55/8.15/8.28, I forgot to stop my watch at the finish line - results are just up and show finish time of 25.33.
    Once I finished fake vomiting, I jogged back and met up with sister and finished the course with her. The brother had flown around and finished in 19.xx. We dragged our mud splattered selves into Avoca and had a lovely breakfast where I met Plodder!
    As usual, great crowd, great volunteers. Happy with the day given how I felt beforehand, just need to stop moving backwards now!
    5k in 25.33 + extra mile at slow pace.

All the attributes of a Marathoner in the making! Well done today.These are the kind of days that will stand to you in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Been reading some of your log - great running, you are definitely back in the game.

murphd77 wrote: »
    Been reading some of your log - great running, you are definitely back in the game.

I'm sorry to say murphd77, that you might have jinxed me!!

After the Parkrun on Saturday, I did a 34 shift at work on the Sunday, and tbh, I haven't been entirely right since. I used to do these shifts pretty regularly, but have had three months without them and its hard to get back into things again. So over the past couple of weeks, my running has somewhat stumbled . . .
    To summarise things
    Tuesday 22nd January
    3miles (slowly)

Thursday 23rd Jan
    4m (even more slowly)

Sunday 27th Jan - Raheny 5 miles

I had been looking forward to this race earlier on in the month, but as the date neared my enthusiasm started to dwindle a bit. My previous PB at 5m from last May was 43.33, but after my 5k PB of 24.10 a few weeks ago I was halfway hoping/dreaming of breaking 40. By the time the race rolled round I knew this was off the cards, after my recent dip in form, so I just decided to see what I could do.
    When I left the house the rain was absolutely torrential, and I was starting to question my sanity. I collected my number and pottered about in the hall before the start - I was wearing my boards t shirt, but it was too cold to take off my jacket so didn't get a chance to show it off! Tried to eavesdrop on local conversations to hear some boards related chat, but decided I was just looking a bit stalkerish, so sat in a corner and did some study for an upcoming exam to kill the time.
    I started off quite near the back, and this worked quite well for me, as it meant I spent most of the race passing people out! This was a tough race, but it did a lot for my confidence. I usually picked someone to hang on to, and then without realising it, I'd be ahead of them and have to pick someone else, brilliant! Was totally not expecting the long long stretch of hill at the end, and it put paid to my sub 41 hopes, but somehow managed to have enough energy for a mini sprint finish!
    Over the line in 41:16, a 2 min PB so can't complain.
    Found a photo of myself on Flickr from close to the end, and holy Jesus, my form looks appalling - a lot of knees knocking, heel striking going on, and I looked like I was half doubled over!

Since then I've run on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday - between 2 and 4.5 miles - and I've no data on the runs because I made the brave/foolish decision to temporarily ditch the Garmin.
    I want to remind myself to just relax and enjoy the run again, rather than constantly wondering about how fast I'm going and then congratulating myself/berating myself based on that.
    I've lots of reasons/excuses why the last couple of weeks have been a bit subpar, but then don't we all! So after this week, I'm going to go hell for leather for the Bohermeen Half, and I'm going to break 2 hours if it kills me.

Oops, Ive said it out loud now.:)

Well done on your performance after a very tough week. There'll be plenty more opportunities to break that 40 mins don't worry. A 34 hr shift ..wow, that can't be healthy!

• Advertisement

RedRunner wrote: »
    Well done on your performance after a very tough week. There'll be plenty more opportunities to break that 40 mins don't worry. A 34 hr shift ..wow, that can't be healthy!

Thanks RedRunner, yeah, the shifts are killing me.

I was just thinking how it's nice to be back posting here, instead of guiltily loitering over the last couple of weeks!

Thanks RedRunner, yeah, the shifts are killing me.

I was just thinking how it's nice to be back posting here, instead of guiltily loitering over the last couple of weeks!

Good to have you back .Looking forward to posting some mileage entries myself next week after being laid up. Pity I didnt get to meet you at Raheny.

Good to have you back .Looking forward to posting some mileage entries myself next week after being laid up. Pity I didnt get to meet you at Raheny.

Was thinking the same when I saw your posts after the race, could have done with a cheer! Good to hear you're nearly back running again, make sure to take it easy for a while.

Monday 4th February

It was freeeeeeezing cold and completely miserable, but tricked myself out for my 3 mile loop. I left the Garmin at home again, so don't know the time, but did a bit of a fartlek and stretched the legs into going a bit faster. Delighted to be cosy at home again.

3 chilly miles.

Wednesday 6th February

Felt surprisingly energetic before this run - had had my first proper nights sleep in about a week before it though, can't get over the difference it makes! It was also the first night in a long time that didn't freeze my bones to their marrow.
    Again, left watch behind - feels very strange without it, but overall in a good way. I headed out on a four mile loop, there were quite a few runners out. No idea of my pace, but I'd guess roughly 9.30/miles.
    Was going up the hill from Chapelizod to Ballyfermot, when I came across a group of walkers out for the evening - one of the women was clearly struggling, and had stopped to catch her breath halfway up - her friend was trying to encourage her along, when I happened to run by. She took one look at me running up the hill and said 'Ah, fcuk off'!
    Felt a bit guilty really - I do know what its like to be struggling when someone just seems to glide by (believe me, I was far from gliding) - so I gave her an encouraging wave, hope it didn't come across as mocking.
    Anyway when I got to the end of my 4 miles, was feeling great, so tacked another 2 mile loop onto the end.
    So 6 miles in a certain amount of time, at an unknown pace.

No running on Thursday or Friday due to frantic last minute job applications/very serious and important exam/landlord issues - but

Saturday 9th February - Parkrun 5k!

Last minute decision to run this, and I dragged my mammy, who's up from the country for the wknd, along to support me. Of course we were late leaving the house, and despite a dash from the car park, the race had just started as I diagonally ran across the grass to the start line.
    So I started in last place.
    I'd decided to do this watchless just to see how it felt, so the fact that I was in last place and wasn't wearing a watch meant this was pressure free.
    I felt like Sonia trying to pass as many people as possible before the finish! Loved this this morning, despite the water obstacles and general mad muddiness. I was aiming to pass girls especially, and passed two on the last stretch up to the finish, with the mammy cheering me on! I met Walkedit in the tag queue at the end and had a lovely chat, and then went to Avoca for a great breakfast and a spot of people watching. The free Irish Runner annual was a nice bonus too.

So 5k in a certain time - quite keen to see results, definitely not a PB, but had a great day!

• Advertisement

Wednesday 6th February

Felt surprisingly energetic before this run - had had my first proper nights sleep in about a week before it though, can't get over the difference it makes! It was also the first night in a long time that didn't freeze my bones to their marrow.
    Again, left watch behind - feels very strange without it, but overall in a good way. I headed out on a four mile loop, there were quite a few runners out. No idea of my pace, but I'd guess roughly 9.30/miles.
    Was going up the hill from Chapelizod to Ballyfermot, when I came across a group of walkers out for the evening - one of the women was clearly struggling, and had stopped to catch her breath halfway up - her friend was trying to encourage her along, when I happened to run by. She took one look at me running up the hill and said 'Ah, fcuk off'!

That was a bit harsh! Not like you did anything.
    Wednesday 6th February
    Saturday 9th February - Parkrun 5k!

Last minute decision to run this, and I dragged my mammy, who's up from the country for the wknd, along to support me. Of course we were late leaving the house, and despite a dash from the car park, the race had just started as I diagonally ran across the grass to the start line.
    So I started in last place.
    I'd decided to do this watchless just to see how it felt, so the fact that I was in last place and wasn't wearing a watch meant this was pressure free.
    I felt like Sonia trying to pass as many people as possible before the finish! Loved this this morning, despite the water obstacles and general mad muddiness. I was aiming to pass girls especially, and passed two on the last stretch up to the finish, with the mammy cheering me on! I met Walkedit in the tag queue at the end and had a lovely chat, and then went to Avoca for a great breakfast and a spot of people watching. The free Irish Runner annual was a nice bonus too.

So 5k in a certain time - quite keen to see results, definitely not a PB, but had a great day!

You probably weren't too far away from me , especially if you were also talking to WalkedIt at the end. Good you see you're enjoying your running these days.

25.01!!
    I must have literally been right behind you, delighted since I started so far back and about 20 seconds late. Love Parkrun!
    As for the poor woman, I think she meant fcuk the situation rather than me specifically, at least that's what I told myself!

25.01!!
    I must have literally been right behind you, delighted since I started so far back and about 20 seconds late. Love Parkrun!
    As for the poor woman, I think she meant fcuk the situation rather than me specifically, at least that's what I told myself!

Haha:D That's unbelievable. If you saw a long lanky guy in a flourescent Yellow jacket and a navy woolly hat near you on the finishing stretch then that was me:)

Well done , love parkrun too.Not too sure when I can make it out there again in next while but I'm sure we'll catch up again sometime. Looks like I'll have to be literally catching up with you from now on too;) Well done on today's performance

Well, it turns out an 80 hour working week and proper running don't really go together!
    Started so well, too.

Feb 10th
    12 m LSR
    Miserable cold wet day, lovely run around the Phoenix Park. Felt great for the first five miles, found the next two tough, but then was at the furthest point from the house, so had to run home. Flipping freezing by the time I got back, but felt good to have this done.

Then completely forgot to log my runs for Jantastic, bringing my percentage score way down, grrrr.

Been running mostly without Garmin, so don't have any proper times, but distance about right.
    Feb 11th
    4m run.

Feb 12th/13th
    3m recovery run after a long long shift.

Feb 14th
    Went out for 4m - feeling good so added on an extra 2 miles.
    6m total

Feb 15th - Great boozy night out!

Feb 16th/17th - 24hr work shift
    Thought I'd get out for a long run after this, but just didn't have it in me.
    So went out for 4miles, arrived home, realised another mile would be no bother so
    5m total

Only 18 miles for the week, but the reasons are pretty self explanatory!

Feb 18th
    6 miles - lovely!

Feb 19th
    5 miles - felt like hard work.

Only a week and a half until the Bohermeen Half - absolutely no idea how this is going to go, haven't done enough long runs and the speedwork has tailed off over the past while. I'm still looking forward to it, and looking to see a few more Boardsies too!

Hi there. Fair play to you for getting any running done after those shifts. Dedication indeed.

Hi there. Fair play to you for getting any running done after those shifts. Dedication indeed.

Snap - Posting in each other's logs at exactly the same time! I haven't done two in a week in a while, so I'd forgotten how much they take out of me - I realised on Friday evening that I'd planned a 15m LSR for the Sunday, needless to say, not a chance.
    But I'm really in the 'not getting stressed about running' mood at the moment - I want to improve, but I want it to be fun too!

Snap - Posting in each other's logs at exactly the same time!

:):) HaHa Yes I was just laughing to myself at that too.

But I'm really in the 'not getting stressed about running' mood at the moment - I want to improve, but I want it to be fun too!

Love your attitude;)

Wednesday Feb 20th

1.5 miles
    Did this just to get out and do something, and it felt pretty rubbish to be honest.

Two days with no running whatsoever!

Saturday 23rd Feb

Down West, and ended up down at a gorgeous nearby beach, on a sunny day. Decided to try out some barefoot running, so kicked off the runners after a warm up mile, and took off. This felt great, way better than I thought it would, and after another mile I decided to do some speed work - managed a mile in 7'57 (this is fast for me in training)! Then caught up with the mammy and sis for a lovely cool down.

3.5 miles in about 31 minutes

Sunday 24th Feb

Woke up early on a cold cold Mayo day, and decided to get my LSR done on the 10 mile road/trail hilly loop from my house.
    The first few miles were tough, into the wind and down a long long boreen - so lonely! Then hit the trail/hilly section and felt great. The pace was slow, but didn't mind. I let loose on a big downhill section and all of a sudden I was flat on my face skidding along the ground!!
    Automatically hopped back up and kept on running (I was afraid if I stopped atall, I'd cry/hurt more), but stopped after a couple of minutes to assess the damage.
    Ripped running tights with blood oozing form both knees, stinging hands and a sore hip.
    Worst of all, I was just past the half way mark and 4 miles from home - briefly considered ringing the brother to come get me, but it would have taken a quad bike/ tractor to get down that road and I wasn't that bad.
    So on I hobbled, and even managed a couple of quick miles towards the end.
    Arrived home battered and bruised to tea and sympathy.
    9.65 miles - couldn't bring myself to round up.
    Av Pace 10'40

Since then I've been laid low by an ailment that has afflicted many on this forum, namely (wo)Manflu. I feel absolutely horrendous, lots of sneezing, shivering, heart racing. Timing pretty rubbish, got my number for Bohermeen in the post yesterday. So right now, I can't imagine running to the front door, here's hoping for a miraculous recovery - if I do make it, I'll be the one in a Boards t shirt and two scabby knees!

Wednesday Feb 20th

1.5 miles
    Did this just to get out and do something, and it felt pretty rubbish to be honest.

Two days with no running whatsoever!

Saturday 23rd Feb

Down West, and ended up down at a gorgeous nearby beach, on a sunny day. Decided to try out some barefoot running, so kicked off the runners after a warm up mile, and took off. This felt great, way better than I thought it would, and after another mile I decided to do some speed work - managed a mile in 7'57 (this is fast for me in training)! Then caught up with the mammy and sis for a lovely cool down.

3.5 miles in about 31 minutes

Sunday 24th Feb

Woke up early on a cold cold Mayo day, and decided to get my LSR done on the 10 mile road/trail hilly loop from my house.
    The first few miles were tough, into the wind and down a long long boreen - so lonely! Then hit the trail/hilly section and felt great. The pace was slow, but didn't mind. I let loose on a big downhill section and all of a sudden I was flat on my face skidding along the ground!!
    Automatically hopped back up and kept on running (I was afraid if I stopped atall, I'd cry/hurt more), but stopped after a couple of minutes to assess the damage.
    Ripped running tights with blood oozing form both knees, stinging hands and a sore hip.
    Worst of all, I was just past the half way mark and 4 miles from home - briefly considered ringing the brother to come get me, but it would have taken a quad bike/ tractor to get down that road and I wasn't that bad.
    So on I hobbled, and even managed a couple of quick miles towards the end.
    Arrived home battered and bruised to tea and sympathy.
    9.65 miles - couldn't bring myself to round up.
    Av Pace 10'40

Since then I've been laid low by an ailment that has afflicted many on this forum, namely (wo)Manflu. I feel absolutely horrendous, lots of sneezing, shivering, heart racing. Timing pretty rubbish, got my number for Bohermeen in the post yesterday. So right now, I can't imagine running to the front door, here's hoping for a miraculous recovery - if I do make it, I'll be the one in a Boards t shirt and two scabby knees!

Ouch!!!:( You poor girl. Then to get sick on top of that...bummer. I blame those 80 hour weeks! I'll say a prayer for your miraculous recovery;)
    Get well soon!

• Advertisement

Thanks RedRunner!

So I'm not quite sure what to do now.
    Was pretty sick until yesterday, lots of coughing, difficulty walking fast and absolutely no running.
    So, was feeling better yesterday and ended up going straight out after work, till 3 in the morning, drinking copious amounts. (I know, I know)

Sitting here hungover, debating whether I'm well enough to do this run tomorrow. Chest still a bit tight, occasional coughing fits but mostly better. Really afraid I'll completely underperform though, I mean I know its not going to be what it could be but I think I'll be disappointed if I run a really slow time, hmmm.

So, was feeling better yesterday and ended up going straight out after work, till 3 in the morning, drinking copious amounts. (I know, I know)

Ah sure sometimes you need to let the hair down;)
    Sitting here hungover, debating whether I'm well enough to do this run tomorrow. Chest still a bit tight, occasional coughing fits but mostly better. Really afraid I'll completely underperform though, I mean I know its not going to be what it could be but I think I'll be disappointed if I run a really slow time, hmmm.

Interesting one. I would be advising to leave it this time round if your chest is not 100% and you don't feel right within yourself. Plenty more races in the calendar. I know though if I was in your position I'd want to run and I'm not one to usually follow my own advice, but I did for Raheny 5 and pulled out reluctantly but now I'm glad I did. Different circumstances I know but same rationale, short term annoyance but long term benefits.

Ah sure sometimes you need to let the hair down;)

Interesting one. I would be advising to leave it this time round if your chest is not 100% and you don't feel right within yourself. Plenty more races in the calendar. I know though if I was in your position I'd want to run and I'm not one to usually follow my own advice, but I did for Raheny 5 and pulled out reluctantly but now I'm glad I did. Different circumstances I know but same rationale, short term annoyance but long term benefits.

Good advice, that can be hard to follow too though! I'm going to go out now and try a very easy mile, and see how I get on, will post back and let you know!

Despite what I said above, I didn't get out to try that mile, the Mayo/Dublin match came calling instead, so I woke up this morning and though feck it, I might as well.
    I was nervous though, I'd decided to take it easy enough but knew I'd be really disappointed if I didn't at least match my soft(ish) PB (2.05 from last May).

So headed off down to Bohermeen and totally misjudged my timing, so found myself being directed into a field a mile and a half from the start with fifteen minutes to go and a bladder demanding immediate attention :o
    Sneaky toilet stop left me in pretty much an empty field and a mad dash to the start, I wasn't the only one delayed, so made it with plenty of time in the end.
    I felt a bit feverish at the start, but overall the cough was behaving itself. So I settled in near the back to see how my legs would feel with their first run in a week.
    Miles 1-5
    Gun went and started off nice and gentle, with the 2 hour pacers up in the distance ahead of me. Didn't look at my watch, but by the end of the first mile, I found myself in line with the 2 hour pacers. Had no hopes of lasting the pace till the end, but felt pretty comfortable at this very early stage, so decided to hang on the pacers (getting headbanged by the balloons) for as long as I could! (At this point I also realised that my shorts were starting to fall down due to the weight of phone/car keys/gel in back pocket - rescued the situation just in time.)
    Never followed pacers before and it was really great. Was totally distracted from thinking about times etc and just eavesdropped on all the little chats around. Next thing I knew five miles had gone by, and I was feeling grand!
    8:49
    8:56
    8:52
    8:55
    8:58

Miles 6-10
    This was probably the toughest part of the race. I found myself up in front of the blue balloons, and fell in with a girl doing her first half. We chatted a bit, and she was telling me how she got stuck in the car park on her way in, and needed lots of help to get the car pushed back out again. I noticed that even though we were still in front of the pacers, the times had started to slip back a little bit. Grabbed 2 bottles at the next water station. Around mile 7 the pacers caught up with us, which was fine, but I did start to get nervous about slipping back. I'd brought a gel from the race bag in Raheny with me, but I'm not a big gel fan, and hadn't decided whether or not to take it - I decided I needed something, so whacked it in. Don't know if the boost was psychological but within five minutes I felt much better and comfortably passed the blue balloons and caught up the girl from earlier.
    9:07
    9:00
    8:50

Miles 10-13.1
    Hit mile 10 at 1hr 29, and for the first time realised that I might actually be able to do sub 2 hours. This coincided with my loneliest period of the race, as I found myself mostly on my own for the last two miles. Was also passing people which was a bit nice! I was dreading the last hill, but the worst part was the long long drag to the finish line, I think I started saying out loud to myself 'nearly there, nearly there'. Finally hit the finishing stretch and to managed a semi sprint finish, spurred on by a 'Go on Boards' shout from someone on the sideline!

So 13.1 miles in 1:57:44 ( need to double check the seconds bit) - absolutely thrilled! Esp given my low expectations for the day. Was followed closely home by the car girl, yay.

I grabbed my t shirt and good bag, said a thank you to the pacers, and then set off to trudge to the start line to collect my hastily thrown off jumper, when a lovely lady stopped, and offered me a lift! She said ' You've been on your feet enough today', and then after I collected my jumper she insisted on bringing me back to the finish line again - a lovely experience to finish a great day.

Thanks to Bohermeen AC - what an amazing spread at the end, and such a great crew of volunteers - loitered in the hall eating like mad for a little while, but didn't spot any potential Boardsies sadly.

Getting terribly lost on the way home didn't even stop me smiling once!

And managed my first target for the year, a sub 2 hour half - going to have to figure out how to make a table!

Bohermeen Half
    1:57:44
    Av Pace 8:54/mile

Great report. I'm so thrilled for you, well done. Glad you got through it in one piece and a PB to boot, excellent stuff.

Hope I can follow your example on the 17th!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Great running and great report!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

well done a great run especially considering how you were feeling a few days ago..you'll have to get to know a few more of us, there was a good few of us in the corner of the hall. We'll meet you at some of the other races!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

Finally hit the finishing stretch and to managed a semi sprint finish, spurred on by a 'Go on Boards' shout from someone on the sideline!

I think that was me :) Well done on breaking 2 hours.

Great report. I'm so thrilled for you, well done. Glad you got through it in one piece and a PB to boot, excellent stuff.

Hope I can follow your example on the 17th!:)

Thanks RedRunner! I've no doubt you'll be flying along, I was just thinking how I'd been giving you advice to take things easy a couple of weeks ago, then completely ignored the same advice myself :rolleyes: What are we like?!
    Great running and great report!
    Thanks RunningKing, you've done some great running yourself lately!
    Younganne wrote: »
    well done a great run especially considering how you were feeling a few days ago..you'll have to get to know a few more of us, there was a good few of us in the corner of the hall. We'll meet you at some of the other races!! :D
    That's a shame I missed ye! Along with everyone else I chucked on my new t shirt as soon as i got it, so that made everyone harder to find I think, did do some serious eavesdropping in an effort to find Boardsies, I'll have to actually make some proper arrangements next time!
    beeduybe wrote: »
    I think that was me :) Well done on breaking 2 hours.
    Ah, thanks for that! It was great to get a shout out on the finishing stretch!

• Advertisement

Monday 4th March

For some reason, I really wasn't expecting to be hurting as much as I am today - my shoulder is killing me, my lower back is aching, my knee hurts - but it's still worth it!!

It was still bright when I got home, so I took my nearly new road bike out for a spin. Got the bike before Christmas, but found that I was nervous on it, I'd cycled hybrids for years and was always pretty confident but felt really vulnerable on the road bike for some reason.
    Lovely 5.2 miles
    Then straight out for a recovery run -eek, ah, ouch. Knee was sore so took it very easy.
    3m in 31:00
    Av Pace 10'19/mile

Going to get the foam roller out now, Nurofen isn't cutting it.

Advertisement