Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Greatest Living Authors

Options
  • 19-03-2012 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭

Who are among your favourite living authors? I used to hate Cormac McCarthy - found his work way too tough to read, to the point of being slightly boring. Gave him a few more goes and I've come to love him. He's a great writer, and probably my favourite of those who are living.

Any others?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

I would say Haruki Murakami, Cormac McCarthy and John Irving are head and shoulders above everyone else. Elmore Leonard is truly great at what he does but its more throwaway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Umberto Eco is definitely my favourite living author.

George R.R. Martin is a pretty cool guy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭dots03

I would second Haruki Murakami and also add David Mitchell, Michael Chabon and Iain M Banks to the list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Gabriel García Márquez is still knocking around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Stephen King?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Stephen King?

King's flaw is that he kept producing books which lowered the overall quality of his work. Still read far too many of his books though. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Margaret Atwood. Although I personally think there's been a dip in quality in some of her recent works. Still a wonderful author though.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭complicit

Kazuo Ishiguro

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Roorah

I'm a fan of Iain M Banks stuff. Partially because I think the fact that he changes between Iain Banks and Iain M Banks for different genres is really handy.

Also a fan of Stephen King. He's written some amazing books and some ok books. But you've a hell of selection anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Don Delillo, Richard Ford or Paul Auster for me!
    I think it is hard to beat American writers tbh.

• Advertisement

JM Coetzee is a writer for the ages, I think. Another American I'd rate is Philip Roth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Corkfeen wrote: »
    King's flaw is that he kept producing books which lowered the overall quality of his work. Still read far too many of his books though. :D

I don’t believe not knowing when to quit tarnishes your early work if it was good (Unless your name is Phil Collins)
    Despite King’s best work ending in the 90’s, he still has about a dozen outstanding novels which for me are the best of the horror genre, and I’m not including the Dark Tower in that (Shakey ending, but still an impressive overall body of work considering he started it in the 70’s) or his short stories (I’d welcome anyone’s view on a better example of a short form storyteller).
    And Under the Dome and 11/22/63 were a pretty good return to form I think.

But Personally I’d go for Irvine Welsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Mark Z Danielowski. You can't beat him for innovation, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

D-FENS wrote: »
    I don’t believe not knowing when to quit tarnishes your early work if it was good (Unless your name is Phil Collins)
    Despite King’s best work ending in the 90’s, he still has about a dozen outstanding novels which for me are the best of the horror genre, and I’m not including the Dark Tower in that (Shakey ending, but still an impressive overall body of work considering he started it in the 70’s) or his short stories (I’d welcome anyone’s view on a better example of a short form storyteller).
    And Under the Dome and 11/22/63 were a pretty good return to form I think.

But Personally I’d go for Irvine Welsh.

I doubt that even King himself would regard his work as being that of the world's greatest living author.

Sergeant wrote: »
    I doubt that even King himself would regard his work as being that of the world's greatest living author.

Whether he thinks he is or isn't has no bearing on whether he actually is or isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Oh, I'd say he does. He seems to have a fairly high opinion of himself.

King's a dumb writer. In his book On Writing, he relates a famous anecdote about James Joyce:
    “A friend came to visit James Joyce one day and found the great man sprawled across his writing desk in a posture of utter despair.

James, what’s wrong?' the friend asked. 'Is it the work?'

Joyce indicated assent without even raising his head to look at his friend. Of course it was the work; isn’t it always?

How many words did you get today?' the friend pursued.

Joyce (still in despair, still sprawled facedown on his desk): 'Seven.'

Seven? But James… that’s good, at least for you.'

Yes,' Joyce said, finally looking up. 'I suppose it is… but I don’t know what order they go in!”

In the same chapter, King expresses bafflement that the likes of Joyce produced so few works, asking why a gifted writer would squander their talent - completely missing the point of the little tale he opened the chapter with. He seems to think that producing a lot of work is in itself something to be proud of.

Maybe, Stephen, the reason the back catalogues of other, more respected writers are less prodigious than yours is because they didn't write down every last thing that popped into their heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭PurpleBee

Yeah I agree with Kinski, reading King's own introduction to Salem's Lot gives the impression that you have something special on your hands. Reading Salem's Lot doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

+1 for American writers.
    I've recently discovered Toni Morrison and I'm now a big fan of hers. Her novels really are something special.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I'm reading Freedom by Jonathon Franzen at the moment and while its quite good, I've got to question all the fanboyism and hype that marked its publication. Enjoyable and well written, but he's no Dostoevsky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

PurpleBee wrote: »
    Yeah I agree with Kinski, reading King's own introduction to Salem's Lot gives the impression that you have something special on your hands. Reading Salem's Lot doesn't.

Was this introduction on the anniversary edition? I don’t remember much of one on the original. As for the book, I thought it was one of the most frightening, atmospheric horror novels ever, and one of the very best vampire stories.

I would agree King has a less than humble opinion of himself, placing himself in the Dark Tower books is all the proof needed for that, and he definitely talks a lot of waffle at times. But for his contribution to the horror genre, and it’s a big genre in literature, I think he’s better than his greatest influence Lovecraft, or Poe or Barker and at least deserves a mention when discussing the greatest living author.

• Advertisement

Yeah it was a 2006 edition that I read which comes with a new introduction by the author.

It reminds me of Ray Bradbury's reflective introduction to fahrenheit 451 which reminisces on how unaware he was of his own genius at the time of writing one of the worst books I've ever read.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭stick girl

Milan Kundera, and absolutely Gabriel García Márquez.. two of the best writers on the planet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 page turner

I would have to say Phillip Roth, Jose Saramago and Gabriel Garcia-Marquez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

PurpleBee wrote: »

While I don't consider him to be one of the greatest authors, Salem's lot is a bloody fantastic novel. Plenty of terrible material out there but Salem's lot cannot be considered an example of such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Anky2930

In my opinion the greatest author is Mr.chetan bhagat,I like his every book very much,His every book is very inspirational.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Have you read The Shining? It's a masterpiece. King is very underrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Kinski wrote: »
    King's a dumb writer.
    If he is so dumb I suppose he sold 350,000,000 books by accident, then?

Having now read some of King's work, I wouldn't rate him as a great writer but a great storyteller.

Corkfeen wrote: »
    While I don't consider him to be one of the greatest authors, Salem's lot is a bloody fantastic novel. Plenty of terrible material out there but Salem's lot cannot be considered an example of such.

Salem's lot is the only King I've ever read mainly because it's supposed to be one of his best novels. He just doesn't have the delicate touch of a great writer, everything is too blatant with him. Salem's Lot is pretty good though despite its problems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Denerick wrote: »
    I'm reading Freedom by Jonathon Franzen at the moment and while its quite good, I've got to question all the fanboyism and hype that marked its publication. Enjoyable and well written, but he's no Dostoevsky.

I was very disappointed by that book, mainly because I was expecting so much from it (due to me stupidly half-believing the hype). Funny thing is, had a similar experience with The Corrections, his earlier 'masterpiece'. I thought it was entertaining, but there were some really badly written parts and characters.

Advertisement