Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor Survival Help !!!

Options
  • 19-03-2012 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Where is the Safest Place to go and set Up a shack and camp,
    Im from finglas and want to get more involved in bushcraft and outdoor survival. Im willing to travel but im just unsure where to do this just yet.
    Hopefully somebody can help me out with this thanks. :confused:

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,250 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Where are you based?

The Survivalism and Self Sufficiency forum might be worth a look too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Grahaam

In finglas, But i can travel towards ashbourne and the meath area, and mostly anywhere in dublin.. just wondering ?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,250 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

As far as I know the Wicklow/Dublin Mountains are grand for camping, not sure about setting a shack up though there might be restricitons regarding that, but if you bivi or use a tent then you'll be grand. Not sure where the best spots are as I'm not from around up there but hopefully one the dublin based posters will chime in with a few recommendations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Grahaam

Thanks For the help.. Really appretiated, Ive been trying to get into camping and the outdoor living i can handle myself and know what im doing just due to the fact i havnt got a car its tough, if someone knows a good area which is safe please let me know !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

I grew up in Dublin and along with a few friends, we pretty much covered a lot of the Dublin & Wicklow hills by using the bus service. The 65 covers the west side - down to Blessington, the 44 the east side to Enniskerry etc. With a bit of effort you can make up all sorts of combinations of starting/ finishing points. That's a good way of just getting out and up into remoter areas and learning to find your way and look after yourself in all weather.

As regards setting up static camps and bushcraft/ outdoor survival stuff, I'd be less certain. There's various issues with damage to environment etc. That said, I've heard of groups that do this sort of thing. What age are you? - Scouting Ireland might also suit, they have Venture Scouts and that type of thing. Always struck me as being kinda static and boring :) But each to their own..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Gasherbraun

Check with the Wicklow Mountain National Park. Either call them or check website. There are restrictions on camping in the Glendalough valley (you can't camp and will be moved on) and campfires are not permitted anywhere within the park at any time.

All the normal restrictions concerning water courses, latrines, leave no trace etc apply.

There is plenty of Wicklow not in the park and OS sheet 56 will show you the park boundaries

Not quite sure what you mean by a shack but doubt this would be allowed anywhere or welcomed by other people in the upland areas

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭irishtear

Why would you travel down to wicklow? Great sites in the portrane and Donabate area along the beach. Aslong as you can be discreet nobody will bother you.Good Luck .:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Grahaam wrote: »
    Thanks For the help.. Really appretiated, Ive been trying to get into camping and the outdoor living i can handle myself and know what im doing just due to the fact i havnt got a car its tough, if someone knows a good area which is safe please let me know !!

its a bit pricey but the st kevins bus goes from town to glendalough.

otherwise enniskerry is a good place to start a hike. if I camp anywhere I like to be at least 2km from the road. those who go to the woods top party tend to stay close to the roads.

Advertisement