Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood Hardener

• 19-03-2012 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

Has anyone tried mixing that fibreglass liquid stuff with acetone (I get it in the chemists as nail polish renover) as an alternative to the normal wood hardener (which is sometimes quite hard to find ) ?

I don't think it is a penetrative as the "proper" stuff (it isn't nearly as volatile) but does that matter?

In any case , if you were doing a proper job maybe you should be replacing the wood (or the whole window) ... in this climate this kind of a repair seems to need repeating every few years or so no matter how well done.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Would the acetone being a solvent not attack the wood?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭geordief

well I don't do this for works of art but (after a few searches on the internet" I suspect that acetone may actually be an ingredient in some of the wood hardeners on the market (that and a small amount of methanol plus some kind of a polyurethane(?) base that remains when the volatile stuff has evaporated away).

No I just do this for rough work ( badly rotted exterior window or door frames for example -anything to keep out the rain) and I might follow it up with normal (non penetrating) wood filler to get an acceptable finish and to blend it in.

I don't imagine , though that the acetone would damage wood itself -maybe paintwork or similar.

I don't think I am suggesting this is a good idea -its more like what can I use when the nearest supplier of wood hardener is a long drive away or out of stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

geordief wrote: »
    Has anyone tried mixing that fibreglass liquid stuff with acetone (I get it in the chemists as nail polish renover) as an alternative to the normal wood hardener (which is sometimes quite hard to find ) ?

I don't think it is a penetrative as the "proper" stuff (it isn't nearly as volatile) but does that matter?

In any case , if you were doing a proper job maybe you should be replacing the wood (or the whole window) ... in this climate this kind of a repair seems to need repeating every few years or so no matter how well done.

I don't know if what you're suggesting would work, but I don't see why it shouldn't provided you have the right amount of hardener in the resin. What I would say though is that I use acetone for lots of purposes, including with GRP resin, and I buy it in one-gallon cans in the local motor factors for €10. A bit cheaper than the chemists methinks?

Advertisement