Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Literary Genre- HL English

• 19-03-2012 5:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, so Literary Genre is the Mode I hope to write about in June for the Comparative (if it comes up that is :rolleyes:) and i'd just like to know what aspects of LG you are discussing in your answers? I answered this question in the Mocks and got 60/70. I know this is quite good but I desperately need an A grade in English and I feel this is the one question where it is very possible to get near to full marks if you understand the stuff properly.

My texts are the generic, 'Inside i'm Dancing', 'How many miles to Babylon?' and 'Dancing at Lughnasa'.

My Teacher gave us the following format to base our essays on, is there enough information here to achieve full marks if the question is answered fully?
    • Explain the term 'Literary Genre'
    • Name texts and authors/directors.
    • State aspects for discussion: Viewpoint, Dialogue and Imagery
    • Background information on texts
    • Viewpoint discussion
    • Dialogue Discussion
    • Imagery Discussion
    • Conclusion
    Is this ok? I'm not sure what else I could include so if anyone else is doing this question and maybe these texts could you let me know please? Thanks a million! :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Stewie Griffin

The first four bullet points you list there are pretty much all introductory material, whixh leaves you body paragraphs on dialogue imagery and viewpoint. Three might be too few-maybe a paragraph on something like music (if it's in all your texts), maybe the opening of the texts, or maybe how the texts end.

Hope that helps!

Edit: just saw your texts there. Those three all use music very effectively so I would go with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

What exactly do you mean by background information on texts?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭skanger

1) Buy keynotes English, it deals with your three texts and is very good for other areas of the course too
    2)In my opinion sticking to the other modes (Theme and issue, GVVP) is an easier route, I find it much easier to find use quotes for these modes
    3)You need more paragraphs, keynotes will help you with this bigtime.

For example in my essay plan for Literary Genre I have listed
    • perspective of the narrator
    • use of dialogue
    • plot
    • imagery
    • characterisation

Try to find a quote or key moment from each text to underline each paragraph

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

You probably need a few more points of comparison, or to split up the ones you already have. As an example, I use 6 for LG - Genre (Social Realism), Balance and Objectivity (talk about narration, monologue, perspective), Literary Techniques, Dialogue, Storyline and Characterisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Namlub wrote: »
    You probably need a few more points of comparison, or to split up the ones you already have. As an example, I use 6 for LG - Genre (Social Realism), Balance and Objectivity (talk about narration, monologue, perspective), Literary Techniques, Dialogue, Storyline and Characterisation.
    How do you compare Social Realism in the texts? I just say that all the texts belong to the genre of Social Realism and explain what it means?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭lainey108

How do you compare Social Realism in the texts? I just say that all the texts belong to the genre of Social Realism and explain what it means?
    you use social realism for literrary genre?? we use it for g.v.vp .. i suppose you can use it for both though.

Advertisement