Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Maths Help

Options
  • 19-03-2012 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hey guys,
    I got my Maths (HL) mock back on Friday and got 96% in paper 1 which I was delighted with but I got 60% in the project maths paper 2 :(

I'm worried that Project Maths will drag my grade down as I want to get an A1 or A2, but I don't know how to improve my paper 2 as I'm much better at the old style questions.

Does anyone know where I could access more resources on Project Maths such as notes or extra sample papers? (I've already completed all the ones on examinations.ie and projectmaths.ie)

Or does anyone have any advice on how to prepare better for the new paper 2? I find the statistics and probability questions the most difficult part especially where you're asked to write a paragraph on something or analyse a graph, but I also struggle with the geometry.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

Bump?

Just tried to find the same and no luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Just so you know, one of the mock company's marking scheme was extremely tough( I think examcraft )and therefore many grades were exceedingly low. In my paper 2 my grade was brought up 17%. (Got an A1 myself) So if I were you I wouldn't be too worried about it.

You said you got 96% in paper 1? By this I assume you're good at trig, circle and line? These are the few questions that rely on pure maths ability. Also, learn the 3 proofs you need to know for Q6A well and that's another handy 25 marks. ( Don't do Q6B ). Then what you'll need to do is solid revision of statistics and probability. You'll need to understand everything. For probability I found by continuously doing questions kept the concept of probability fresh in my head, I'd recommend that. With statistics, you'll just have to study everything to do with it I'm afraid, there's no choice on the paper remember!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Wesc. wrote: »
    Just so you know, one of the mock company's marking scheme was extremely tough( I think examcraft )and therefore many grades were exceedingly low. In my paper 2 my grade was brought up 17%. (Got an A1 myself) So if I were you I wouldn't be too worried about it.

You said you got 96% in paper 1? By this I assume you're good at trig, circle and line? These are the few questions that rely on pure maths ability. Also, learn the 3 proofs you need to know for Q6A well and that's another handy 25 marks. ( Don't do Q6B ). Then what you'll need to do is solid revision of statistics and probability. You'll need to understand everything. For probability I found by continuously doing questions kept the concept of probability fresh in my head, I'd recommend that. With statistics, you'll just have to study everything to do with it I'm afraid, there's no choice on the paper remember!
    Hmmm, I doubt it was examcraft - the one with the ridiculous Q8 was the one we had and while the exam itself was quite hard, the marking scheme was ridiculously liberal.

Are you sure 6A is only the proofs though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Hmmm, I doubt it was examcraft - the one with the ridiculous Q8 was the one we had and while the exam itself was quite hard, the marking scheme was ridiculously liberal.

Are you sure 6A is only the proofs though?

Yeah 6A is definitely just the proofs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭galwaymusic

Any tips on how to do well (or moderately well) in OL Maths? Really need help. It's my worst subject. And I find maths so difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

finality wrote: »
    Yeah 6A is definitely just the proofs.

Question 6A was not a proof on this SEC sample paper for the pilot schools in 2011:

http://www.examinations.ie/schools/Project_Maths_Phase_2_P2_Higher_Level.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Question 6A was not a proof on this SEC sample paper for the pilot schools in 2011:

Well I'll be damned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 QueenofSpades

The changed some things since the 2011 SEC paper and that was one of them. Now they can only ask proofs in 6A:) (though i think they can ask Paper 1 proofs in 6A)

The changed some things since the 2011 SEC paper and that was one of them. Now they can only ask proofs in 6A:) (though i think they can ask Paper 1 proofs in 6A)

That was not one of the things that changed.

You may note that, in their letter to schools with the sample papers for 2012, the SEC pointed out certain parts of questions from the 2010 sample and real papers that they said were no longer relevant for 2012. They did not rule out any of the things on the 2011 paper 2 (real or sample).

See section 4 of the letter here:
    http://www.examinations.ie/schools/S_77_11_Arrangements_for_Phase1_of_Project_Maths_2012.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 QueenofSpades

That was not one of the things that changed.

You may note that, in their letter to schools with the sample papers for 2012, the SEC pointed out certain parts of questions from the 2010 sample and real papers that they said were no longer relevant for 2012. They did not rule out any of the things on the 2011 paper 2 (real or sample).

See section 4 of the letter here:
    http://www.examinations.ie/schools/S_77_11_Arrangements_for_Phase1_of_Project_Maths_2012.pdf

OK well what are you suggesting could be asked in 6A? :)

• Advertisement

Well, I wasn't suggesting anything in particular - just pointing out that they're not necessarily restricted to asking only a proof. I presume they could ask you to explain something, like in that 2011 paper, or ask you to do a construction, or ask you to solve a problem, or apply your knowledge in some other way.

Advertisement