Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aggressive Selling in shops

• 19-03-2012 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

This is starting to drive me crazy.

I was in a butchers in Waterford last week, I go here every week to get my meat. I have a list and know exactly what I want to buy,after preparing my order the sale person tried to sell me loads of stuff from flavoured sausages to relish, I was very surprised with the forceful way this was done.

Then later on I went to xtravision and got a dvd, only to be asked 3 times did I want the popcorn and drink deal, when I said no she said "are you sure". This is starting to p*ss me off.

I cant go anywhere now without shops trying to sell you something you don't want, I expect it in some large stores and fast food outlets but in a bloody butchers??
    I understand that the have a business to run, but this puts me off going back.

Is it me or does anyone else notice this?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

It's called "upselling" and yeah, I notice staff doing it a lot more in places too.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭trollin trollin trollin

Do you have a boots card?
    Would you like to sign up?
    Are you sure?

No i don't want my condom consumation tracked thanks very much :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Been going on for years. "Do you want disk protection with that?", "Like our points card?", "Would you like a condom with that?" (Oh, wait that's the ad).

But yeah just do what 99% of us do. "No. Thanks".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

Don't ever go to the foot locker so OP

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭HOS 1997

One assertive response will put an end to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭LisaLee

It's called upselling or pushing sales. Most of the time it is mandatory for retail staff to do. Doubt they'd really care if you wanted lotto/clubcard/phone credit etc along with your purchase. They're just doing their job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Used to work in Game Stop and hated having to do this. I'd get yelled at if I didn't, it feels sleazy. I'd prefer just to give them a leaflet with the info and let a customer make their mind up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Businesses trying to survive the recession, well knock me over with a feather..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

HOS 1997 wrote: »
    One assertive response will put an end to it.

this.

afaik once you say no its illegal for you to be asked again. im open to correction on this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Shop online, that'll teach 'em.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

first world problems eh ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

kennygg76 wrote: »
    I cant go anywhere now without shops trying to sell you something you don't want

Can't go anywhere now? Shops have always done this, it's their job (along with advertising) to make you want stuff while you're inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Mobile service providers are worst...

- I checked your payment history and decided that you better off with bill pay!!!
    - I dont want it...
    - but you wil save around 10-20eu per month?!?!
    -I don't want it...
    - but why?! It's so much better for you! It will save you money!!
    - i don't like to have another bill in the end of the month.
    - but it is cheaper?!
    - I don't want it...
    - think about it, it is way cheaper and you can get out of contract any time!!
    - peep peep peep

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Mobile service providers are worst...

- I checked your payment history and decided that you better off with bill pay!!!
    - I dont want it...
    - but you wil save around 10-20eu per month?!?!
    -I don't want it...
    - but why?! It's so much better for you! It will save you money!!
    - i don't like to have another bill in the end of the month.
    - but it is cheaper?!
    - I don't want it...
    - think about it, it is way cheaper and you can get out of contract any time!!
    - peep peep peep

peep,peep,peep??

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

As someone who trained staff on upselling/cross selling for a long time, I feel someway responsible. I do apologise. Would you be interested in becoming a subscriber to boards, to ensure that the community benefits from your money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

When I worked in retail, and the sales started going south, they got in some 'experts' and we had to attend classes to teach us how to 'upsell'. The psychology behind it seems a little warped, and for the most part I sensed that the majority of people I tried it on were more annoyed than anything else. Best thing to help sales is give good customer service, and I think this is the opposite of that. I eventually only did it when I knew my boss was around.
    first world problems eh ?

I find the 'first world problems' type of response more annoying than up-selling. Who would've thought?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Here is a novel idea, it may not work but it;s worth a shot.

Just say no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Do you have a boots card?
    Would you like to sign up?
    Are you sure?

Freudian slip?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

MidlandsM wrote: »
    peep,peep,peep??

female sales person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

I worked in a few shops years ago one of them xtravision and the orders constantly came down to be more forward when upselling.

You know yourself what a person wants and will possibly buy. I hated it and never did it when the boss wasnt around, had words with management over it a couple of times because more often than not you just piss customers off. But the shirts at the top dont have one clue when it comes to that and think badgering enough customers will result in x amount of profit and send down the word to force staff to do it.

I can imagine with things as bad as they are now there is huge pressure on staff to try and force a sell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

They do it because it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Of all the million stupid things that annoy me OP, this is not one of them.

Just say 'I'm fine, thanks' and it'll all be grand. Trust me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

This is driving me nut too. I`d like to give my business to local small shops but they pounce on you the minute you come in, pull out every single thing, insist that it can be altered/ordered/whatever. They seem to be trying to force or guilt you in to buying things - so I just don`t even go, I go to shops that don`t give a toss bigger ones or buy online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I was in a butchers in Waterford last week, I go here every week to get my meat. I have a list and know exactly what I want to buy,after preparing my order the sale person tried to sell me loads of stuff from flavoured sausages to relish, I was very surprised with the forceful way this was done.

Then later on I went to xtravision and got a dvd, only to be asked 3 times did I want the popcorn and drink deal, when I said no she said "are you sure". This is starting to p*ss me off.

I cant go anywhere now without shops trying to sell you something you don't want, I expect it in some large stores and fast food outlets but in a bloody butchers??

Tee hee hee :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

What about salesmen who make creative suggestions of complimentary products to your purchase

Like when I used to work in a hardware, someone comes in and they want a board to make a shelf, it would be rather re is of me not to check if they needed brackets, screws, rawlplugs, caulk, varnish, power tools....

Same if a lady buys a dress is it intrusive of the shop assistant to suggest bags/shoes/blingystuff??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Here is a novel idea, it may not work but it;s worth a shot.

Just say no.

AH would be a cold, lonely place if we were to take that advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

MidlandsM wrote: »
    peep,peep,peep??

He was.... tweeting.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

it's not just shops, I had to go and see the doctor last week with a strange rash on my baby-maker. :o

It's bad enough that you have to pay €55:mad: but she offered me a happy ending for an extra €5 and the had the cheek to ask for another euro for a baby wipe! :eek:

this country just gets worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

In the shop where I worked if somebody bought tampax. we used to have to try and sell them a lawnmower . Because they were doing feck all else for the weekend:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Boss: Turnover is down. We should get the shop assistants to start upselling!

Staff: Would you extra [product], there's 10% off with any purchase.

Customer: These staff are really annoying, I'm going to start shopping elsewhere.

Boss: Turnover is continuing to go down. The staff mustn't be upselling enough. I better make sure it's down twice as much from now on.

( & repeat until bankruptcy)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Only ever really had to ask for a clubcard. At Christmas you had to ask did they want a gift receipt and a gift card. Occasionally told to ask if the wanted credit...never did that and only did the gift card one if there was a manager beside me. Important to remember that the sales assistants don't actually care what you do or what card you have and that they have to ask stuff.

Some shops go overboard and drive customers away. The prime example is Lush (very smelly soap/toiletries shop bottom of Grafton Street). You literally have three perky people flinging themselves on you and getting you to sample stuff, it's really overbearing though again I get it that they have to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

In the shop where I worked if somebody bought tampax. we used to have to try and sell them a lawnmower . Because they were doing feck all else for the weekend:)
    Spread wrote: »
    In a little village in the west of Ireland a young man - having finished his schooling - got a job in a hardware/drapery/grocer shop. The first day there, his boss gave him a new khaki coat for uniform and told him just to watch for a few minutes. Door chime goes off and in walks first customer, "I'd like to buy a pound of grass seeds". The boss weighs the seeds, bags them and puts it on the counter. "Anything else Sir?" asks the boss. "Don't think so", says the customer. "Perhaps you'd like to purchase one of our lawn mowers - 20% off until Wednesday!" "Oops, hadn't thought of that, that's a good idea", says customer. To make a long story short, the customer leaves with not just the grass seeds but also a new lawn mower, can of oil and an extended warranty. The boss looking at the new worker with a wink says, "That's the way to do business!"
    With that, the phone in the office rings and he boss goes to answer it. The door chime rings again and in walks another male customer. "Can I help you Sir?", said the newbie. "Yes, I'd like to buy a packet of Tampax please". The newbie reaches up and puts a package on the counter. "Anything else Sir?" "No that's it thanks". "Could I interest you in one of our lawn mowers - 20% off until Wednesday!" "Why in the name of God would I need a lawn mower!"
    "Well, it looks like your weekend is fucked so you might as well mow the lawn".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Davidson2k9

KFC: Would you like onion rings for an extra 2.99? No, if i wanted onion rings, i would have ordered onion rings.

And in petrol stations i know its mandatory but i hate being asked if i got any petrol/diesel after i go up to pay for whatever im getting. As if im trying to get away without paying for my petrol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

we must have worked with each other :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Sign of the times. I live in Waterford and have encountered this in delis recently (upgrade to a bigger roll, etc).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

KFC: Would you like onion rings for an extra 2.99? No, if i wanted onion rings, i would have ordered onion rings.

And in petrol stations i know its mandatory but i hate being asked if i got any petrol/diesel after i go up to pay for whatever im getting. As if im trying to get away without paying for my petrol.
    Asking if you got petrol is not upselling more making sure you have not forgot to pay for your petrol after buying all your munchies for your road trip hence lessening the risk of being 40bucks down at the till. Plus if you intentionally forget then and it is store policy to ask makes a prosecution easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

....went into a well known chain of coffeeshops for a takeaway latte

me : could I have a large latte to take away please?
    staff : would you like a muffin with that?
    me : no thank you
    staff : but it's cheaper if you get the muffin
    me : :confused:
    staff : :o
    me : how about you pretend I have a muffin and give me the cheap latte?
    staff : I'm sorry sir I can't do that
    me : okay then I'll have a muffin
    staff : which one would you like?
    me : I don't really care as it's going into that bin over there as soon as I have my BLOODY COFFEE :mad:!!!!

......what can you say really?

(Went there for lunch in the afternoon as well (nowhere else to go) and panini + large coffee was cheaper than a panini......)

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

wexie wrote: »
    ....went into a well known chain of coffeeshops for a takeaway latte

me : could I have a large latte to take away please?
    staff : would you like a muffin with that?
    me : no thank you
    staff : but it's cheaper if you get the muffin
    me : :confused:
    staff : :o
    me : how about you pretend I have a muffin and give me the cheap latte?
    staff : I'm sorry sir I can't do that
    me : okay then I'll have a muffin
    staff : which one would you like?
    me : I don't really care as it's going into that bin over there as soon as I have my BLOODY COFFEE :mad:!!!!

......what can you say really?

(Went there for lunch in the afternoon as well (nowhere else to go) and panini + large coffee was cheaper than a panini......)

was the muffin nice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

forfuxsake wrote: »
    was the muffin nice?

LOL, don't know didnt actually eat it as I didn't want a muffin :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 kennygg76

kfallon wrote: »
    Tee hee hee :p

I knew as I typed it someone would make reference lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

You'd be surprised how often people forget to pay for petrol, happened 3 or 4 times a week in the place I used to work. If it was uncovered you didn't ask the person who drove off without paying then you would be blamed for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 kennygg76

I understand that businesses need extra revenue but it stops me coming back so its counter productive.

Also shops are doing it that never did it before, like in a newsagents buying a paper "do you want anything else with that" NO!! if I did I would have picked it up before I came to the counter AARRRGGGHHHHH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,263 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I used to have to do this when I worked in a very big sports shop, the one about "how you live your life".

We were told if a customer asked for a shoe and then asked us for a recommendation if they didn't like the first one, we had to direct them towards a more expensive option. I never deliberately did this. I always directed them to what I genuinely thought would suit them better, sometimes it'd be more expensive, sometimes it'd be cheaper or the same price.

I did get in **** with my boss when I had dealt with a secret shopper and did this. Just shows how greedy these companies our.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Condom consumation? I put mine on my mickey and throw them away afterwards. I certainly don't eat the jaysus things!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭trollin trollin trollin

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Condom consumation? I put mine on my mickey and throw them away afterwards. I certainly don't eat the jaysus things!
    Throw them away?:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

I try to define my purchase with "I only want the petrol on pump 6"

or, " I only want the newspaper"

If the cashier says " would you like fries with that" I just ignore them.

If they ask me a second time I usually answer with " are you f*cking deaf or just stupid"

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

old_aussie wrote: »
    I try to define my purchase with "I only want the petrol on pump 6"

or, " I only want the newspaper"

If the cashier says " would you like fries with that" I just ignore them.

If they ask me a second time I usually answer with " are you f*cking deaf or just stupid"

that's definitely rude. keep in mind that these guys enjoy the upselling as much as you do. they have to do it because they were told by their bosses to ask and then ask again, explain all benefits and then try to persuade the customer it's the best thing since sliced bread. i find it as annoying as most of the people but i rather bite my tongue because abusing the personnel doesn't change it, it only makes you another aggressive muppet they had the displeasure to sell to. their companies and bosses don't give a damn about the staff being abused, in fact they don't give a damn about them at all as long as they perform as they are supposed to so they won't stop upselling because the staff is getting abused. i just say no, thank you after all their attempts and that's it and I don't feel like it's bothering me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

I've just started telling them "no thanks and don't ask me again thanks". If they do i walk out and take my business somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,875 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Went to buy a car last week.

Explained to the salesman the year and model I was after.

He showed me the 6 or 7 cars that I asked for and then without breaking stride he walks to a different model which was 5 grand more than my budget and starts waffling about it.

I bought in another garage...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Maybe I should get out more, but I haven't experienced this kind of thing in either Ireland, Finland, Sweden or Estonia - where I spend most of my time - to any significant degree. In fact, it's sometimes a bit harder than I would like to get a salesperson's attention when I want to ask something. I don't mind salespersons pointing out that they have something special on offer, just as long as they don't become pushy.:)

I hope a new trend isn't beginning here in Europe, because "hustling" is a real pain in the arse in many countries, like India and the Middle East, where there are dozens of people constantly pestering you to buy something that you couldn't possibly want, but you find it awfully hard to find the item you do want or get anything close to a straight answer to any enquiry you might have.:eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement