Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student TCD Interviews

Options
  • 19-03-2012 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi all
    I have apllied to study Occupational Therapy in TCD 2012 as a mature student. I haven't received a letter about an interview yet and I am getting a little anxious. Anyone else apply for this course??

Beirne83

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 emurph84

Hi I applied for social work and I'm still waiting for word from them. So ur not on ur own :-)

Hi again, I rang trinity and they said no contact has been made in regards to interviews and it may be next week or the week after.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 beirne83

Thanks for that emurph you've saved me a phonecall.
    Beirne83

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Dores

Thank You 'emurph84'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 bayareayogi

Thank you emurph84!
    I've been checking online all week to see if anyone else has been notified of their interview. I'm applying as a mature student for physio and human health and disease. Both are extremely hard to get in to - so whilst I'm hopeful of an interview, with each passing day I'm getting a little less positive.

So if anyone has applied for these and been notified of their interview - would be great to hear. Thanks :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

For what it's worth in 2009 my interview was at the end of April, and I think I got 3 weeks notice, so probably got the letter in the first week or two of April. I think they are still following a similar timeframe. Best of luck!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lovekills

Hi i'm applying for OT this year in Trinity.

I emailed trinity about this the other day and got this email back.

"Applications from Mature Students are still be reviewed by departments. Once we receive decisions we notify applicants by post if they have been selected for interview. We attempt to give all applicants at least two weeks notice if they have been selected. Interviews will be ongoing up until the end of May.

Regards,
    Admissions Office"

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

Glad I checked this, didn't realise they did interviews so early!

When people who have applied for medicine in TCD as mature hear back, let me know please!

I am assuming it is May for mature Med students because the HPAT results are only out end of April but I could be wrong..

Just got a rejection letter for sociology and social policy in trinity :-(

sorry to hear that.. :( same happened to me last year for my course.

make sure you get some feedback from them on what you need to do in the meantime to get in next year.

I guess no news is good news for now, at least I can still have the illusion of a chance of getting a place! :p

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear that 'emurph84'.
    After you post it I've run to check my letters and I found...a rejection letter for sociology and social policy in trinity :-( this one really made me cry...
    Just one course left... - social work - and I do not expect good news now :/

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Sorry to butt in here, but I got rejected on my first attempt applying to TCD (and everywhere else). But, I contacted the colleges and asked for feedback on my application. I spent the next year making sure my application was excellent - volunteer work, work experience etc. Got offered my top three choices the second time around. I'm now just about to finish 3rd year in TCD. So stick to your guns.

Have a look at the thread in the link in my sig for tips on applying as a mature student. Do not give up hope. :)

Dores, social work is the course I wanted to. The head of department told me to apply for sociology as a back up so if I don't get social I will defo be tears :-) I hope we hear from social work tomorrow cos I really can't handle the waiting game!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭dtfo

I got an email today for an interview for Human Health and Disease on 18th of April

Still waiting on Medicine.....

for those with broken hearts by a rejection letter... trinity access course:

http://www.tcd.ie/Trinity_Access/prospective/access/mature.php

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Dores wrote: »
    for those with broken hearts by a rejection letter... trinity access course:

http://www.tcd.ie/Trinity_Access/prospective/access/mature.php

There's also one in UCD. And TCD don't discriminate if you take that course. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Lads, to anyone applying to medicine, last year the letters came out mid April for interviw in early May, and the letters came out a good 2 weeks or so after most of the other courses, so if you haven't heard yet, don't be too worried.
    Also I can vouch for the UCD Access course as well, and taking a year to make your app the bes it can be, did both myself and am now in 1st year,panicking about the upcoming exams :D

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Gadfly Girl

Anyone hear anything from Philosophy Political Science Economics and Sociology yet? :confused:

i wouldn't get worked up about whether you have received a letter or not - you will get a letter either way. It's more down to what the letter says when you open it!

I asked around and for medicine they do several rounds of letters and interviews, the timing of which have no bearing on your likelihood to get in or not. I know that some people last year got interview letters in April and May, and some got in from interviews in both months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 bayareayogi

Sorry to hear about those who weren't successful!

I just phoned admissions and no final decisions have been made yet for Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy or Human health and Disease for interviews. Was told notifications would only go out when decisions have been made - in the next week or two.

Best of luck to everyone else who's waiting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Lin_zebra

Hi all,

I applied for History/Geography as a Mature entry and received two interview dates for the 11th and 12th of April.

Does anyone have any experience of the mature student interviews? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Ring the name on the letter you got, should be from the admissions office, say you have been called for interview and that you have a few questions. Ask what the format of the interviews are (content vs 'get to know you'), how long they are, where they'll be on (so you can check where they are on campus) and you could also ask who will be on the interview panel. If you find out who the panel is you can look up their research interests. Particularly if you have interviews across two days.

Know your application well, you may be asked about it, or you can refer back to it..
    Know the content and teaching formats of the course you are applying for, project, practical, small group learning, etc. in case you are asked questions about what you know or like about the course or the teaching methods, etc.

You may be asked how you will finance your studies - afaik some people have been offered places, accepted them and then found that they couldn't get loans, so have something prepared. (And some people pulled out too late to offer the spaces on to people on the waiting list, or they didn't have time to sort finances, and so on.)

There is a very good book, The Perfect Interview by Max Eggert. It was recommended to me a few years ago by a previous mature student who had used it, it helped me and I know a few others who have used it also since.

Remember, they like what they have seen on your application enough that they have called you for interview - you just have to show them in person why they should offer you the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Lin_zebra

Abby19 wrote: »
    Ring the name on the letter you got, should be from the admissions office, say you have been called for interview and that you have a few questions. Ask what the format of the interviews are (content vs 'get to know you'), how long they are, where they'll be on (so you can check where they are on campus) and you could also ask who will be on the interview panel. If you find out who the panel is you can look up their research interests. Particularly if you have interviews across two days.

Know your application well, you may be asked about it, or you can refer back to it..
    Know the content and teaching formats of the course you are applying for, project, practical, small group learning, etc. in case you are asked questions about what you know or like about the course or the teaching methods, etc.

You may be asked how you will finance your studies - afaik some people have been offered places, accepted them and then found that they couldn't get loans, so have something prepared. (And some people pulled out too late to offer the spaces on to people on the waiting list, or they didn't have time to sort finances, and so on.)

There is a very good book, The Perfect Interview by Max Eggert. It was recommended to me a few years ago by a previous mature student who had used it, it helped me and I know a few others who have used it also since.

Remember, they like what they have seen on your application enough that they have called you for interview - you just have to show them in person why they should offer you the place.

Thanks so much, that's super advice! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭fiinch

got my letter for two interviews today, one for psychology the other for philosophy which i applied for as a joint psych/phil TSM, really didn't think i'd get an interview so i'm delighted and a little nervous about them as well ha

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭anfield bound

I've seen this mentioned a few times now so I have to ask, is it not as simple as saying "I'm on the back to education allowance and will be applying to have my registration fee payed" (lets assume thats the case anyway). I have an interview tomorrow and all this finance stuff has me second guessing myself.

I've seen this mentioned a few times now so I have to ask, is it not as simple as saying "I'm on the back to education allowance and will be applying to have my registration fee payed" (lets assume thats the case anyway). I have an interview tomorrow and all this finance stuff has me second guessing myself.

Yes - it can be as simple as that if you qualify for the BTEA. Not trying to freak anyone out at all. And the very best of luck to you tomorrow!!!

I had a previous degree and I was asked in the interview. Not everyone will be in that situation.

Also I think the grant system may have been changed in recent years, so new entrants may not be eligible for both the maintenance grants and the BTEA. I am not sure about this, but there were some posts on it somewhere, or check out the citizen's advice bureau website.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭anfield bound

Yes - it can be as simple as that if you qualify for the BTEA. Not trying to freak anyone out at all. And the very best of luck to you tomorrow!!!

I had a previous degree and I was asked in the interview. Not everyone will be in that situation.

But if you have a previous degree, you cannot get the the BTEA unless you are progressing, e.g. Level 7 to Level 8, and you are not entitled to free fees.

Also I think the grant system may have been changed in recent years, so new entrants may not be eligible for both the maintenance grants and the BTEA. I am not sure about this, but there were some posts on it somewhere, or check out the citizen's advice bureau website.

really appreciate the swift reply,thanks.yeah,they scrapped the grant for people in receipt of btea...boo!No time to do all the,very sensible, pre interview research you suggested but will be sure to do so for my next one on the 24th.again,thanks for the quick response,put my mind at ease before bed!

But if you have a previous degree, you cannot get the the BTEA unless you are progressing, e.g. Level 7 to Level 8, and you are not entitled to free fees.

That's the first time i've heard someone say this and i've not read it anywhere in the information available in how you qualify for BTEA.. Can you give me a reference to where this is stated?

Are you saying that someone who has already completed a 3rd level degree cannot get BTEA?

I know the free fees does not apply to someone with a previous degree but I was under the impression that the allowance was applicable once you are unemployed for a certain length of time and I can't any information that disagrees.. Are you sure you're not getting confused with postgraduate studies (You can't do a 2nd postgrad and claim BTEA the 2nd time)

hollingr wrote: »
    That's the first time i've heard someone say this and i've not read it anywhere in the information available in how you qualify for BTEA.. Can you give me a reference to where this is stated?

Are you saying that someone who has already completed a 3rd level degree cannot get BTEA?

I know the free fees does not apply to someone with a previous degree but I was under the impression that the allowance was applicable once you are unemployed for a certain length of time and I can't any information that disagrees.. Are you sure you're not getting confused with postgraduate studies (You can't do a 2nd postgrad and claim BTEA the 2nd time)

Sorry - just had a look there - looks like this requirement has changed since I looked into it. That used to be the case, but there doesn't appear to be any reference to it anymore. http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/SW70/Pages/ABacktoEducationAllowanceBTEA.aspx

• Advertisement

I might just have a heart attack if you are right! :p

banking on BTEA.. I did engineering and want to go back to med and without BTEA (short of a lotto win) i'd be living off supermarket "expired" waste produce!

Advertisement