Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student TCD Interviews

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Lin_zebra

So have I got this right then, if i'm applying for a second undergraduate degree, I'm not eligible for free fees?

Can I still apply for a grant to cover those expenses? Because as far as I know I am still upskilling even though it's my second degee....

• Registered Users Posts: 32 HollyRichter

Hey:)

I received a letter yesterday to say I have an interview for Psychology:):) anybody else going for this one??

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

Lin_zebra wrote: »
    So have I got this right then, if i'm applying for a second undergraduate degree, I'm not eligible for free fees?

Can I still apply for a grant to cover those expenses? Because as far as I know I am still upskilling even though it's my second degee....

Afaik you are not eligible for a grant.

(3) A grant shall not be paid to a student who already holds an undergraduate
    qualification or a postgraduate qualification and is pursuing a post leaving certificate course, irrespective of whether or not a grant was paid previously

There is more info here http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/Student%20Grant%20Scheme%202011.pdf

You may be eligible for the BTEA.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

You definitely aren't eligible for free fees once you have completed any undergrad course. If you failed or dropped out there is a "second chance" after a certain number of years have gone by.

also worth noting you can't get the maintenance grant if you are on btea, so maintenance grant is a moot point if you are planning on claiming btea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Checho

Hi everyone! I have applied to study an undergraduate degree in psychology in Trinity College (as a mature student) and I have passed the attitude test. Now I've been invited to attend to an interview and I don't really know what to expect. Could anyone who has gone through this tell me how are the interviews for psychology in TC? like, what sort of questions they ask, if the interview is long, how many people interview you, etc... any info is welcome, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 bayareayogi

Received a letter today offering me an interview for Physiotherapy in Trinity on Thurs 19th April. :)

Checho wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I have applied to study an undergraduate degree in psychology in Trinity College (as a mature student) and I have passed the attitude test. Now I've been invited to attend to an interview and I don't really know what to expect. Could anyone who has gone through this tell me how are the interviews for psychology in TC? like, what sort of questions they ask, if the interview is long, how many people interview you, etc... any info is welcome, thanks!

Hey Checho:)
    I have an interview for Psychology too...well done and good luck and hopefully we will both be there in Sep:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 beirne83

Congrats on getting the interview for physio guys.
    Anyone receive letter from TCD for OT yet, still waiting patiently or not so patiently at this stage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lovekills

@beirne83, I'm also still waiting on my OT letter, hopefully any day now. I'll keep you update!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Dores

I was in Trinity yesterday, in Social work & Policy office - no decisions have been made and I need to wait another 2 weeks.
    I have applied for an Access Course ( just in case...) - I was standing in a queue to drop my application form , so I expect a great competition there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 trigger12

Received a letter today offering me an interview for Physiotherapy in Trinity on Thurs 19th April. :)

Hi bayareayogi, after reading your post im just wondering if you have any advice on what i could do to boost my application for mature student physio next year. I am just finishing a Sports Massage course and applied for Physio last year but was not selected for interview. Afer ringing the college they advised me to do certain courses related to physiotherapy. Any advice would be greatly apprecaited as i have until next feb to work on things :) Best of luck with interview

Hi trigger 12

I attended the open day for mature students and I think that was invalueable this time as I'd applied before without success. The mature student officer gave advise for completing the application form and also told us we could request a copy of our 'file' with details about why we weren't successful. I think you have a month or two to request it before it's shredded .... so you should definitely get that. Better of luck next time

I got a letter from Social Studies TCD today. No good news for me :/

Just received an interview date for OT in TCD. Have it Monday 30th April.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lovekills

OT interview on the 30th also :)

Hey Checho:)
    I have an interview for Psychology too...well done and good luck and hopefully we will both be there in Sep:)

Hi there! so how was the interview... mine was tough I think, they ask me thinks I didn't really expected, I guess you can never prepare enough... I might have done it well, I don't know what to think. How was your experience? good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭fiinch

i had my interview for psych too, and although i think i had an answer for all the questions i felt they were quite difficult and i almost felt like i was applying for a post-grad or a research position. i'm a little glad i'm not the only person who had difficult questions though as there were a few different rooms for interviews i thought i might have been unlucky just having a tough interviewer! wasn't half as articulate as i know i am, guess i was just nervous but what's done is done!

fiinch wrote: »
    i had my interview for psych too, and although i think i had an answer for all the questions i felt they were quite difficult and i almost felt like i was applying for a post-grad or a research position. i'm a little glad i'm not the only person who had difficult questions though as there were a few different rooms for interviews i thought i might have been unlucky just having a tough interviewer! wasn't half as articulate as i know i am, guess i was just nervous but what's done is done!

Hi! fiinch... totally agree with you, I was asked things that I'm supposed to learn in the future and not necessarily to know or have a completely form opinion about it right now. I hope my general interest and knowledge was enough. they asked me about evolution for example. How would I explain to a 16 year old the evolution by natural selection, and things like that. I thought to myself, maybe this is because I mention in the application form that I was interested in evolutionary psycology, but come on, is not like I read Charles Darwin on my free time... (maybe I should?)... well anyway, let's see. I bet your interviewer was Ian Robertson from Neuroscience... What sort of questions did you have? thanks.

i didn't have Ian Robertson, i think i had Dr. Dockree (his photo isn't on the website so not 100%). feel exactly the same, was asked if i had read any psychology related research papers that had been published and i stumbled over that. of course if i had hadn't been so nervous i would have realised that i have infact read, analysed and reviewed some from the JABA Cooper et al from my ABA course. if only i could turn back time ha.

also asked about the theory of evolution because i indicated my interest in religion and such, wasn't asked to explain it but i was also asked how i would go about implementing a research project say for the HSE on a global scale. i talked about un-biased research and having a large sample size as well as taking into account cultural differences and things like that, but while my interview with the philosophy department went quite well, this one i left feeling rather concerned i hadn't done as well as i should have

Hey everyone,
    Had my interview for Psychology too, they didn't ask me anything too difficult...not sure if that is a good or a bad thing lol I had two women...anybody else get interviewed by them? Also, any idea when we find out if we got a place...I'm checking the post everyday:/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Dunner1

Hi guys , had my interview for trinity social work yesterday , just woundering if anybody else had interview for the same course , how did it go ?

Hi Dunner, I did not get to the interview stage , but I will definitely reapply for Social Work next year. Would you mind to share your experience? What questions they asked or what part of application form they focus at?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Dunner1

Hi Dores, yeah no problem i sent you a pm , cheers .

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

I am a third year social work student in Trinity. Im a 31 year old male mature student.
    I first done the TAP Course in Pearse College and I applied for the social work degree for 2008. I did not get in as I had no voluntary work behind me and no similar educational attainment.
    However, I wanted to get on that course more than anybody else that applied in the past. So I completed another level 5 in social studies in Inchicore College and got loads of voluntary work experience behind me and applied again in 2009.
    The second time I got in. The main thing is to be yourself in the interview and be honest. If you are nervous, tell them so, compose yourself and you will be fine.
    They ask questions like, what is social work, why do you want to be a social worker etc.
    Wear normal casual clothing, not dinner suits or anything. Social workers wear casual clothes in practice settings.
    If you dont get in, try and try again. I was told by many people I would not get in. One person said he got distinctions in all his modules in a diploma in social studies and he didnt get in. They probaly didnt think he was right for the course, I dont know.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

Asked TCD when they would be sending out mature student interview letters for medicine, here's the (not so exact) reply:

Hi Robbie,

Decisions are being made at present and letters will be sent out to all applicants in the near future.

Best wishes,

Clodagh

Clodagh Byrne
    Mature Student Officer

define near future ! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Captain1888

Anyone heard about trinity mature student interviews?

Nope no word about mature interviews yet. Don't think we will find out until the end of May. Would be great if they let us know sooner though...:)

i got a letter on monday offering me a place so some of them will have been sent out already anyway, best of luck!

I emailed admissions about OT places this morning and I received this e mail...

Decisions for mature applicants who applied to Occupational Therapy were posted on Wednesday, 9th of May.

Regards,

Admissions Office

• Advertisement

beirne83 wrote: »
    I emailed admissions about OT places this morning and I received this e mail...

Decisions for mature applicants who applied to Occupational Therapy were posted on Wednesday, 9th of May.

Regards,

Admissions Office

I phoned admissions this morning and was told letters had been posted and I was unsuccessful. I didn't even manage to get onto the waiting list - which is disappointing as I thought the interview went really well.

I wish you much more luck that I've had. Hope you get some good news tom.

Advertisement