Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cookery Class for a Birthday present?

Options
  • 19-03-2012 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi folks, it is my wife's 30th this weekend and she has always said that she would love to do a day's cookery class. I was hoping for a two night break away and maybe include a day's cooking class. Any recommendations would be much appreciated? Maybe the West of the country?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I got a 2-day cookery course at Castle Leslie in Monaghan as a birthday present from my husband a couple of years back. It was really good with a small intimate class of 8, and we were in the main castle's kitchen. If my memory serves me right the chef was Gerry, and he was fantastic.
    My husband took the opportunity to go fishing in the estate's lake while I was in class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

Depending in budget a trip down to Cork and to Darina Allen might tick the boxes! Not the west though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'd suggest Dunbrody house in Waterford, or Ballymaloe in East Cork. I don't know of anything in the east of the country though. But it's a great idea, I'd love that gift!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Faith wrote: »
    I'd suggest Dunbrody house in Waterford, or Ballymaloe in East Cork. I don't know of anything in the east of the country though. But it's a great idea, I'd love that gift!

Wexford! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

I know they do cookery classes in The Bunratty School of Cookery, you could check them out via website, Donnagh is the chef there, went to college with her. Seemingly quite good, I haven't been but know a friend that has and loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

The Tannery http://www.tannery.ie/cookery-school.html
    in Dungarvan does classes aswell, and you can stay there or there are plenty of other accommodation around Dungarvan.

Have never been on one, my hints haven't worked yet!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭ems_12

To the West (and North!) op;

Belle Isle Cookery School, Fermanagh (my company used to do cookery days there, heard good reports)
    "My Little Kitchen" Cookery School, near Derry (got a voucher for a friend and he enjoyed it)
    The Source in Sligo is relatively new, heard good reports about their cookery classes - it doesn't offer accommodation but you could stay in Sligo town as it's right in the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭veggie newbie

If you want to go west, the cookery classes here http://www.wholefoodmatters.com/ are only about 20/30mins outside of Galway. All dishes are very healthly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

There is a place in Sligo called 'Source', they run cookery courses and baking courses ( they are also a restaurant) . My friend did the baking one and came back with all sorts of different breads, she said she would definitely go back.
    No idea of prices etc, but sure you will find them on the net somewhere.

Advertisement