Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balbriggan fly tipping...

Options
  • 19-03-2012 6:55pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I walk the country lanes around balbriggan most weeks, either out for a run or a walk with the dogs. Ive seen more and more signs of fly tipping and it has absolutely disgusted me that this is happening. I believe it is local people doing this too as some of the lanes are only accessible by foot from the roads.

Ive decided that I will open this thread now and instead of posting pictures of our wonderful town at its best I will post pictures of the rubbish that some lazy scumbags are leaving out to ruin some of the most beautiful parts. the worst bit is that some of the rubbish has been there a long long time with no effort from the council to pick it up... other rubbish was just fecked onto the ring road and left there.

yesterday I walked up clonard hill and turned left onto the now padestrianised road that runs down towards the ring road at EEC hardware and this is what I saw.

clonard1.jpg
    clonard2.jpg

The ditches ALL the way up the road on both sides were choked full of new and old black bags and the county council seems to be doing nothing about it. its a disgrace. Ive lived in the town my whole life and im sickened by this blight. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

As a relatively recent blow-in to the town, I'm disappointed a little at the lack of pride some folk seem to have. I'm enjoying living here and love to get out on the bicycle and cycle the quiet country roads. Like you OP what I see far too often disgusts me. I can't believe folk can destroy their countryside in the manner that they do.
    I long for the day I catch some w*nker in the middle of it so I can report them.

If you have any ideas as to how the problem can be tackled, apart from reporting it to the council after the deed has been done I'm all ears. Have the council actually prosecuted anyone in the past?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

I dont know if anyone has been prosecuted but intend to continue posting photos up here as well as reporting it to the council and if anything happens ill put the info out.

email sent this morning... lets see if anything is done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

As a relatively recent blow-in to the town, I'm disappointed a little at the lack of pride some folk seem to have. I'm enjoying living here and love to get out on the bicycle and cycle the quiet country roads. Like you OP what I see far too often disgusts me. I can't believe folk can destroy their countryside in the manner that they do.
    I long for the day I catch some w*nker in the middle of it so I can report the them.

If have any ideas as to how the problem can be tackled, apart from reporting it to the council after the deed has been done I'm all ears. Have the council actually prosecuted anyone in the past?

Yes, as was said before in other fly Tipping threads, the council fines them when they trace the owner of the waste but due to legal advice, it is unable to name and shame the individual so for many it's worth the risk. So lobby your TD for a change in national laws so fly tippers can be named and shamed and forced to do community service cleaning up litter.

Data Set for part of last years Litter Fines, fly tipping figures should fall within that.
    http://data.fingal.ie/ViewDataSets/Details/default.aspx?datasetID=458

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

when they trace the owner of the waste
    Often the owner has paid to have the waste disposed of but have not ensured that the skip operator is bona fide.

I saw the full contents of a gutted kitchen including presses, floor and wall tiles etc. dumped at the gate of a field near Ballyboughal. I presume it wasn't done by a private individual but with a tipper truck.

Often the owner has paid to have the waste disposed of but have not ensured that the skip operator is bona fide.

I saw the full contents of a gutted kitchen including presses, floor and wall tiles etc. dumped at the gate of a field near Ballyboughal. I presume it wasn't done by a private individual but with a tipper truck.

That problem happened to a relative of mine out near were Beasty is based, builders rubble blocking the gate over the weekend. It took the council 2 days before they came out to clear it away. By that time, my relative had to move the rubbish to the side of the gate because they had a business to run and needed access. Hopefully with the extra staff the council has improved its response time but the sad fact is that the council shouldn't have to do it.
    Swords has seen a rise too.

http://www.fingal-independent.ie/news/war-declared-as-swords-flytipping-now-epidemic-3047874.html

Next year is "The Gathering" of the Irish Dispora. Take a drive in NCD or Ireland these days, all you can see is fly tipping in our countryside. Is this government going to wait until the visitors come and report back that Ireland is one giant tip before it starts cracking down on the flytippers?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭afterhours

I found this disgusting state beside the footpath/bridge behind vauxhall st and clonard st, and leading into the water. I thought it was a disgrace that people disrespect their own land like this, and I had to photograph it.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RedFFWolf

Only just walked by a big white bag full of rubbish this morning, unscathed on a small patch of grass near the Clonard Rise road entrance and the small Tara Court entrance (where the hedges are).

Spots like that are just blatant.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

RedFFWolf wrote: »
    Only just walked by a big white bag full of rubbish this morning, unscathed
    Are you sure that wasn't a Fingal Council bag. Their staff place gathered litter in white bags along the road and it is collected later by a truck.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Have noticed a few piles of rubbish around parts of Lusk as well. Similar to the photos above.

My folks live in Tara Court. That gap is an unofficial gap into the park and they (the residents association) have been trying for years to get it closed but each time they or the council plant any hedge in the gap, little scroats come along and rip it up as they use the estate as a shortcut to the schools. These kids have started jumping all the low walls in the estate now trampling gardens and worst of all they blatantly dump rubbish all over the estate too. send in your photos to this thread as im making balbriggan.net and balbriggan.info aware of this also if you can post your photos on balbriggans facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RedFFWolf

Are you sure that wasn't a Fingal Council bag. Their staff place gathered litter in white bags along the road and it is collected later by a truck.

I was unaware they did this, my apologies if that was the case. That being said, whether it was one or not I'm not sure. It was there by late evening time, but gone this morning so perhaps it was collected. Not the best of ideas still as I know only too well from experience how much cats like to tear up such bags for scraps, and the mess that that leaves (particularly on a windy night) is awful. (Heck, I've even seen kids try to boot open bags of rubbish next to bins)!

Perhaps this should be changed to a NCD Fly Tipping Thread?

Just back from a walk around Rush and you can see this mess from the Skerries Rd around Lambay View. The area back in the day use to be a local Dump but times have moved on so we shouldn't have to live with Eyesores like this. Someone had attempted to set fire to the rubbish, the numerous steamed up plastic bags contain Shamrock.....

I fired off a mail to FCC before posting here.

Hi all,

Just got a response from FCC regarding my email to them with photos of the fly tipped areas.

regards
    Morph
    The Litter Warden has investigated your complaint. Regarding the wall running alongside the pedestrian footpath at Wavin, this is a matter for Wavin & the Litter Warden will speak to them about cleaning the area.

The Litter Warden has inspected the other areas your refer to with the Inspector from Balbriggan/Swords Operations, they will clean where possible, a JCB will be needed for some of the ditches & this is more difficult to arrange.
    If you come across refuse bags dumped, where evidence of the offender may be found, email your report to myself or phone 01 890 6289 or 01 8906287

In the case of other rubbish dumped like a mattress, fridge etc phone Balbriggan/Swords Operations at 01 890 5773/5813

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Morphéus wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just got a response from FCC regarding my email to them with photos of the fly tipped areas.

regards
    Morph

Are they asking you to check for evidence in the rubbish there?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Are they asking you to check for evidence in the rubbish there?

I don't think so. I'd imagine they're saying it's worth your reporting it to them as they may find evidence of who dumped it. Criminals can be surprisingly stupid.

I think they were saying that if rubbish is dumped and you find evidence in it or you think that there may be evidence in it, for example you see bits of envelopes or old bills sticking out of the bag, you can directly contact those people. only time id prob check through it is if they fly tipped onto my property though, dont fancy climbing into the ditch to rummage through 4 month old nappies!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

While I do NOT condone dumping rubbish in any way, shape or form...what other choice have the councils left us? They shut down landfills and charge extortionate rates to any that are left open, where the hell is the incentive to do the right thing? Sure it's cheaper to just dump rubbish at the side of the road!

Again, I do NOT condone it, nor do I do it myself, but I blame the council for the increase in fly-tipping!

Advertisement