Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animal Prescription Online?

• 19-03-2012 7:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Looking for a website that will send my dogs prescription to Ireland?
    My Cocker Spaniel is to be on carprieve 20mg for pretty much for the rest of her life and so I want to stock up but most of the places I've looked online wont ship to Ireland?

I am aware there are regulations etc but is there an Irish company I could buy in bulk from at a lower price than getting them from my local vet?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

www.medicanimal.com ship to Ireland. They do require a prescription though (your vet will have to fill in a form and stuff) but they do ship to here and are cheaper than buying in the vet. I think (but will definitely stand for correction on this) www.vetuk.co.uk ship prescription meds here but I'm not too sure - worth looking into though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

fend wrote: »
    Hi there,

Looking for a website that will send my dogs prescription to Ireland?
    My Cocker Spaniel is to be on carprieve 20mg for pretty much for the rest of her life and so I want to stock up but most of the places I've looked online wont ship to Ireland?

I am aware there are regulations etc but is there an Irish company I could buy in bulk from at a lower price than getting them from my local vet?

Thanks in advance

Have you asked your vet is there a human equivalent drug that would do the same job? My vet told me meds specifically for dogs are More expensive than human ones! I had huge problems getting tablets convental d one month supply was coming in at €70 anyway Ucd said there was a licensing issue and prescribed a human version costing €8.50 for the month!
    There are loads of uk websites who sell meds but will require a prescription from your vet!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lizard_Moon

Vets are not allowed to legally knowingly write a prescription for the importation of drugs from the UK. We are not registered in the UK and our prescriptions would not be legal there. We cannot even import drugs not available here without jumping thru legal hoops.
    As vets we cannot legally use a human version where a veterinary version exists, regardless of cost.
    The area surrounding this is very strict and policed extremely closely and regularly by the Department of Agriculture.

Carprieve is already a generic drug and cheaper than the original.

I am a vet practice owner so fully up to speed with all regulations.

LM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Vets are not allowed to legally knowingly write a prescription for the importation of drugs from the UK. We are not registered in the UK and our prescriptions would not be legal there. We cannot even import drugs not available here without jumping thru legal hoops.
    As vets we cannot legally use a human version where a veterinary version exists, regardless of cost.
    The area surrounding this is very strict and policed extremely closely and regularly by the Department of Agriculture.

Carprieve is already a generic drug and cheaper than the original.

I am a vet practice owner so fully up to speed with all regulations.

LM

Lizard moon so vet can't write a prescription if you want to order online? I know my friend got perscription and had to get tablets from Pharmacy as they hadn't been delivered to vets on time. So getting a perscription and going to pharmacy is ok? I know my own vet (not ucd) tried to explain all of what you are saying to me when we tried to get corvental d and was trying to get it from the north! There is a website that you can check availability? When i told Ucd they said it would take too long as they would need to apply for a license and they didn't want to wait and perscibed the human one and it wasn't a matter of life and death!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lizard_Moon

Millem wrote: »
    Lizard moon so vet can't write a prescription if you want to order online? I know my friend got perscription and had to get tablets from Pharmacy as they hadn't been delivered to vets on time. So getting a perscription and going to pharmacy is ok? I know my own vet (not ucd) tried to explain all of what you are saying to me when we tried to get corvental d and was trying to get it from the north! There is a website that you can check availability? When i told Ucd they said it would take too long as they would need to apply for a license and they didn't want to wait and perscibed the human one and it wasn't a matter of life and death!

We can write prescriptions for chemists in Ireland ( the South only!!) and do so very often. The online bit is not the problem, it is just the UK bit!

The Irish Medicine Board website has listings for all veterinary drugs licensed, however our suppliers don't always carry them.

http://www.imb.ie/EN/Medicines/VeterinaryMedicines/VeterinaryMedicinesListing.aspx

• Advertisement
Advertisement