Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transition Year

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Yer man is just desperate, care work is something I'm willing to get my cert in because im passionate about helping others so much so that I won't just clean and care for other people but I will want to show them compassion I would hate to think of a 16 year old twonk who doesn't want to be there doing a half ar sed job with a vulnerable adult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

I think TY will have to be cut, I think there is more value to be had by getting the LC done and then doing a plc or something else to progress your education or real work experience rather than dossing for a year and dragging out school as much as it is a great experience yadda yadda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Transition life baby.. transcendental transience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

I didn't do TY but I don't think I missed out on anything judging by what my friends did. I teach in the UK atm and they still do the things that Irish kids do in TY like work experience and trips away and charity work. I missed all that (not bothered) because in 5th and 6th year they concentrate solely on exams, we didn't even do PE in 6th year.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

It was a waste of time for me anyway, that's for sure..
    Majority of us did nothing. Skipped half the classes, dossed in the other half. And none of the teachers cared. They make it sound like it'll be a break year from books and as if it will be valuable and help you to develop etc.. It didn't. It had a negative effect on me. It got me used to skipping classes (just cause I could) and not doing any work. Now I am in 6th year and I'm still like that. It's way too hard to get back to actually working after it. It is indeed a waste of time and money in my opinion. At least in my school anyway, considering we did hardly nothing.

I remember my school mentioning how much money is put into TY, and I was just thinking, where the hell does it all go?

There are certain people who seemed to really enjoy it, but at the end of the day, that doesn't stop it being a waste of money because the people who enjoyed it generally enjoyed it because it was a doss..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

Can you imagine being alone in your home in your old age with a horrible truculent little teenager coming in a few times a week to terrorise you? The place would be stripped bare of your valuables in weeks.

What a horrible aspersion to make against an entire spectrum of people.
    Transition year should completely be scrapped though, it is a total waste of money. They we won't end up with a bunch of kids who are too immature to progress into 5th year and who need another year malingering around the education system at great cost to the rest of us.

I think you should save your misguided frustrations for the school dropouts you'll be paying social welfare to as opposed to the kids trying to better themselves with an education.

It's hardly surprising that educated, young people are leaving the country en masse, given attitudes like this. How short-sighted can people actually be to not realise that the youth of today are the future of tomorrow? People need to wake up and realise that the Irish economy is never going to flourish with the majority of it's skilled workforce abroad.

Respect young people, prioritise education and give people a reason to put something back into their economy without treating them like human commodities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 SaveTY

I am currentley a fifth year student and I was aghast when I heard the news that the government were thinking of abolishing Transition Year. I have decided to survey any 4th, 5th and 6th year students to get their opinions on Transition Year. I will then present these findings to the CSO and the Dept. of Education. If you are a 4th, 5th or 6th year student would you please take the time to fill out my survey here. Thank you for your time, and remember: TY is worth saving!

Advertisement