Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westport Festival of Music and Performing Arts

Options
  • 19-03-2012 7:35pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭

WestportAd1.jpg

The Chieftans and The Plea have also been added

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Interesting lineup...

Edit: Bit bloody pricey though, innit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Interesting lineup...

Agree on both points Darling ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ilovetalking

It's going to be amazing!! I can't wait!! 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Yellow Jersey

Very much doubt Imelda May will play this gig. Had heard previously she was finishing up early June and this from RTE below just last week, though her site still lists the Westport gig but not the Cork one!!

"The couple announced their news to the world last month and their baby is due in August. May will continue to perform throughout the spring, before a final performance at The Marquee Cork on June 9th".

http://www.rte.ie/fashion/2012/0326/imeldamay.html

• Registered Users Posts: 86,635 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2012/0405/westport.html

The Chieftains, Horslips, and Soft Cell front-man Marc Almond have been added to the bill at this year's Westport Music and Performing Arts Festival.
    And the festival is also offering you a chance to perform.
    Almond will appear as special guest to the already announced Jools Holland and folktronic songstress Beth Orton. Hugely popular bluesman Eric Bibb is also making the trip to Westport, as is Ryan Sheridan, Wallis Bird, Colin Devlin, and Bronagh Gallagher.
    The festival takes place in the grounds of Westport House on Saturday June 23 and Sunday June 24 with Ray Davies, Seasick Steve, Imelda May, Alison Moyet, Lloyd Cole, Nick Lowe, Macy Gray, Damien Dempsey, The Undertones, and The Minutes also set to play.
    The festival is also offering a chance for aspiring performers to get up and have a go on The Westport Open Mic Stage. It's open to up and coming talent of all kinds, from singer songwriters to comedians, poets to opera divas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭littlevillage

More power to Westport... this look great

But I do have Two questions

1). This is a new Festival, what is the track record of the Promoters ?
    2). Is there a License for this event still pending ? and I wonder how are bookings going ?

Am considering buying a ticket .. but in light of what happened to 'the Summer Sessions' in Iveagh garden last week.. what are the chances of this festival folding before June ?

and will I get my money back if they do ? (Summer sessions are offering refunds .. minus Credit card administration fees)

New Concert promoters (with no money behind them), need pre-sold bookings to pay upfront costs and make a decision to pull the plug if things don't add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭chopser

Interesting lineup...

Why are they charging so much for day tickets?

Irish Times has article in todays Ticket listing all festivals happening this summer.

Westport is by far the most expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭Firblog

2). Is there a License for this event still pending ? and I wonder how are bookings going ?

Am considering buying a ticket .. but in light of what happened to 'the Summer Sessions' in Iveagh garden last week.. what are the chances of this festival folding before June ?

and will I get my money back if they do ? (Summer sessions are offering refunds .. minus Credit card administration fees)

New Concert promoters (with no money behind them), need pre-sold bookings to pay upfront costs and make a decision to pull the plug if things don't add up.

Am in exactly the same position, would like answers to these questions before parting with cash... any chance the OP could provide them?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Im going to the Body & Soul festival on the same weekend, but just spotted Chic in the line up, this one is getting more like EP although they didnt get Ray Davies but there is a noticeable gap in electronica which is a staple of EP. So a bit like EP with the electronic dance stuff removed. Its an interesting mix of 60s musicians, folk rock pop, some trad and some indie stuff too, might go to this one next year if B&S doesnt blow my mind.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Im going to the Body & Soul festival on the same weekend, but just spotted Chic in the line up, this one is getting more like EP although they didnt get Ray Davies but there is a noticeable gap in electronica which is a staple of EP. So a bit like EP with the electronic dance stuff removed. Its an interesting mix of 60s musicians, folk rock pop, some trad and some indie stuff too, might go to this one next year if B&S doesnt blow my mind.

I think I read somewhere that Chic have pulled out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭monthehoops

WestportAd1.jpg

The Chieftans and The Plea have also been added
    Can someone explain to me how they got 100k off Bord Failte?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Can someone explain to me how they got 100k off Bord Failte?

I'm sure you'll find the answer on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 poobear 2020

Xtra vision is only selling NON CAMPING tickets!!!!!!can someone please tell me WHERE THE HELL IT SAYS THIS ON XTRA VISIONS OR WESTPORT HOUSE SITES????just bought tickets off xtra vision as i was told "all camping sold out" when it turns out they never sold camping tickets !!you can only buy them on line!!!!W T F?????

• Registered Users Posts: 1 curiousclar

anyone have any answers to the questions below? There are a few of us considering buying tickets and flying over from the UK but we are a bit hesitant to buy tickets considering posts like the one below and also...we are trying to wait it out until the weather shows a better picture. I'm guessing we're not the only ones thinking along these lines:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭Firblog

anyone have any answers to the questions below? There are a few of us considering buying tickets and flying over from the UK but we are a bit hesitant to buy tickets considering posts like the one below and also...we are trying to wait it out until the weather shows a better picture. I'm guessing we're not the only ones thinking along these lines:)

DISCLAIMER: I have nothing to do with anyone who has anything to do with this festival :D

They recently posted (within the last week) on facebook that they had been granted a licence.

I purchased my tickets and camping thru Westport House with creditcard; so if there is any bother either mastercard or Westport House will have to refund me, as I haven't paid the promotors anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭buzz55

I have 2 weekend tickets for this. My friend who was supposed to be coming with me now cannot go on the Sunday (boss is being a dick & won't give the day off).
    I've asked the organisers if I can arrange that a different friend can use the ticket/wristband for the 2nd day - answer seems to be no :(

Anyone think of a way around this? It'd be a total shame to waste the ticket for the Sunday, and I have someone lined up to meet me there for Sunday but if I can't get that second person in, is there any point?

Very disappointed as it is a genuine problem & surely there is some way the organisers can make an exception?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JosieWosie

Bit late I know but TicketGroup refunded my order fully inc all booking fees. They refunded all of my friends fully too.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭maps and atlas

The promoter is legit and has a track record - it's Raglane Entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

..we are trying to wait it out until the weather shows a better picture

Don't pay too much attention to RTE weather, 99% of the time they show rain over Mayo when the sun could be cracking the stones on the beach in Westport. As the town is right on the coast the worst of the rain often passes over before falling inland. Have had some lovely weather on and off over the last month so fingers crossed...

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

Does anybody know of any arranged buses, carpools etc from Dublin? If so could you please send me a pm with details.

Im heading down on my own and although the journey down seems nice and easy (train gets into westport just before 11) the journey home seems to bit of a nightmare. Theres no trains after the festival ends and the bus has a stop over which means the entire journey will take about 7 hours and Ive to work on Monday.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Splinters wrote: »
    Does anybody know of any arranged buses, carpools etc from Dublin? If so could you please send me a pm with details.

Im heading down on my own and although the journey down seems nice and easy (train gets into westport just before 11) the journey home seems to bit of a nightmare. Theres no trains after the festival ends and the bus has a stop over which means the entire journey will take about 7 hours and Ive to work on Monday.

Any help would be appreciated.
    This is going to sound terrible but as far as public transport goes this is your only option if you've work Monday Morning in Dublin and want to get the last of the festival on Sunday night. A train leaves Westport Station for Dublin about 5.30am Monday morning and get's into Dublin around 8.30am.

Hope you manage to get a lift from someone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

This really suits my taste in music, would love to go but really can't afford the ticket price plus everything else. It's the only festival I really want to go to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭c28omzk7ihsxv0

Just thought I'd update this thread and say, it was a bloody amazing festival. So relaxed, easy an kid friendly too (They were free in also)

And the performances were bloody brilliant, seasick steve, the undertones, macy gray, imelda may, Wallis bird, duke special and Jerry fish were probobaly the best preformers in terms of interacting ith the crowd etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 no money mo pro

great weekend, site is practically in the town, Damo and The Minutes rocked

Advertisement