Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

30 Years Ago Today We Lost Randy Rhoads

• 19-03-2012 7:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,021 ✭✭✭

30 years ago today we lost the finest guitarist of his generation in a plane crash.
    Only 25 when he died, Randy had told Ozzy of his intention to quit the band and return to his first love - teaching classical guitar at his Mother's music school in LA.
    My favourite guitarist of all time, Randy Rhoads.
    RIP

CPL 593H

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,532 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

A quality guitarist, love his playing, it just sounds so awesome.

mastodon_drumkit.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭RayCon

Last months Classic Rock Mag had a good piece on Randy and the last days .... fantastic player - too good for Ozzy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

Mushy wrote: »

mastodon_drumkit.jpg

Is that Bran Dailor from Mastodon's kit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

Mushy wrote: »

mastodon_drumkit.jpg

Is that Bran Dailor from Mastodon's kit? I think he's a huge Rhoads fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,532 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

MetalDog wrote: »
    Is that Bran Dailor from Mastodon's kit? I think he's a huge Rhoads fan.

It is. I love it, when I first saw it I thought was cool, but was only after knew it was a tribute to Rhoads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Damn I missed that. Didn't realise it was yesterday. Ah well, RIP Randy Rhoads.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

A shame indeed....R.I.P Randy!!:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Legend.

I'll never forget where I was the first time I heard the feedback building into the opening pick slide of Crazy Train. I sat in the front seat of my father' '75 AMC Pacer with my jaw hanging open. I was instantly hooked.

The world was a more interesting place with Randy in it. He is surely missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭RayCon

my father' '75 AMC Pacer

pacer75b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,021 ✭✭✭furiousox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

The term legendary gets thrown around a lot, but Randy was worthy of the term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

What albums did he appear on that give the best examples of his talents?

I see on wiki they mention he is on (primarily):

2 Quiet Riot albums
    and
    3 Ozzie albums

this is excluding any posthumous releases with above artists.

The first two Ozzy solo albums (Blizzard of Ozz & Diary Of A Madman) also the live release 'Tribute', all well worth checking out.
    You might find a few clips on youtube to give you an idea of what he sounded like (maybe spotify too)
    Just bear in mind the music he recorded was in the early 80's and what he sounded like then in relation to everyone else at the time.
    Comparisons are made between him and Eddie Van Halen.
    EVH also revolutionised electric guitar but for me Randy could do everything EVH could and more.
    Funnily enough the guitarist Randy Rhoads admired the most back then was George Lynch of Dokken.

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I love all these players. No point comparing them as they have very different styles and sound. Randy had the most obviously technical (and classical guitar) background. I don't really think the Quiet Riot albums really showcase that. Its really the two ozzy studio albums, the live tracks really bring it home how good he was. Mr Crowley is probably his most accomplished piece? I spent so much time listening to Randy. Soundtrack of my youth tbh. None of the other Ozzy guitarists had the same attraction for me. Though Jake E Lee is very underrated IMO. Whats your favorite track? For me its S.A.T.O. Just love that opening Riff.

EVH is a very different player. Its all feel and tone and groove. A lot of VH tracks are very sparse guitar wise. But a massive huge sound/tone and Riffs. Its a different kind of music really. Different ends of a wide genre.

Agree about Jake E Lee, also Brad Gillis did an excellent job replicating Randy's work live.
    Hard to nail down a favourite, everything he did still gives me goosebumps and moves me like no other guitarist.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

furiousox wrote: »

That video - mostly because of the guitar - actually makes me excited about solo Ozzy Osbourne for the first time in a long time. Thanks. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

That video - mostly because of the guitar - actually makes me excited about solo Ozzy Osbourne for the first time in a long time. Thanks. :)

Well it's been a very long time since anyone's been excited about an ozzy album, probably not since the 80s!

Randy was a savage guitarist alright, for sheer technical skills it's a close call between him and jake lee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I had hope with No more Tears and Zakk Wylde, liked that track. But from that point onwards could never warm to his playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I dunno there's just something magic about the guy alright, such a shame - I must read a little more about him and see what else he contributed too

• Advertisement
Advertisement