Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bought new foundation - wrong shade - advice?

• 19-03-2012 8:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,950 ✭✭✭

Hi, I bought a new foundation in House of Fraser in Dundrum. Its a Lancome Idole ultra foundation. One of the sales assistants put it on for me in store.
    She asked me if I would like a slightly darker shade than that of my own skin. I said give it a try. She did and I thought it looked it. But she did use an illuminator as well and bronzer. I thought it looked good on when leaving the store.

However when I got home I notice that I looked too dark - in comparison to the rest of my skin; neck etc.

I tried it myself and my face just looked dark and flat.
    I can't return it as I do not live in Dublin and there is no house of fraser when I live,

What can I do with the bloody thing.. throw it out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

You could go on the forums on beaut.ie, they have a forum for swapping stuff like that. Did it myself with a mac foundation before that the sales assistant convinced me was 'perfect', when I got home I realised it was miles too dark. Really wish make up artists would listen when you ask them to match your skintone!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Alanerin218

My only suggestion so that you don't loose out on the money, is to buy another of the same foundation just in a color that is too light, and mix to get your perfect shade. Since it is two bottles of foundation it will last twice as long.

I'm a makeup artist and almost ALWAYS mix foundations to get a perfect color. Its super easy :-)

Also in the summer months when you might be a bit more tan, or winter when you are paler, it will be easy to adjust! Hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

sporina wrote: »
    Hi, I bought a new foundation in House of Fraser in Dundrum. Its a Lancome Idole ultra foundation. One of the sales assistants put it on for me in store.
    She asked me if I would like a slightly darker shade than that of my own skin. I said give it a try. She did and I thought it looked it. But she did use an illuminator as well and bronzer. I thought it looked good on when leaving the store.

However when I got home I notice that I looked too dark - in comparison to the rest of my skin; neck etc.

I can't return it as I do not live in Dublin and there is no house of fraser when I live,

I have a darker shade that I keep for going out and when I have tan on. I mix this with a whitish highlighter whwn I run out of my day foundation. (used to use a pinky white no 7 illuminator, got Soap and Glory Hocus Focus for Christmas and have been using it since). Works for me but it may lower the coverage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

You could advertise it on www.ebay.ie or www.adverts.ie - but I don't think you'll get the full price you paid for it.

If you paid €25, you might get €15 or €20 for it. And remember you'd need to add the postage as well. Registered within Ireland is around €6 (depending on the size/weight etc.)

Could you mix if with some moisturiser to lighten the colour a bit? Maybe try and mix a bit of the foundation with some moisturiser and make sure it works and looks OK, you don't want to try the whole bottle of foundation and a lot of moisturiser and find out they don't work together, wasting money and products.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭_petulia_

sporina wrote: »

I wouldn't throw it out.

You could try mixing it with a lighter shade of foundation.

Or hold on to it and buy the illuminator that the SA used on you

Or perhaps experiment with how you are applying it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,950 ✭✭✭sporina

thanks all

i am gonna try and get a swap on beaut.ie

but that soap and glory hocus pocus looks fab… - is it sparkly though? don't want sparkles..;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

I have the Soap and Glory Hocus Pocus, just gives skin a nice sheen, there's a similar one Olay do as well!

Sorry about the foundation, I got Teint Miracle and I love it, hope you have luck selling it and don't forget about adverts.ie as well, best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

If you feel you were recommended the wrong shade you should try bringing it back - I've heard of ppl on beaut.ie that have done this and if they are giving you guff in the store email the head office.

Otherwise I'd try swapping it - such a pity when that happens. I think stargazer or barry m do a pure white foundation which is meant to be brilliant for adjusting colour. Personally I mix the lightest loreal true match colour with the too dark foundation and it does the job for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

ams wrote: »
    If you feel you were recommended the wrong shade you should try bringing it back - I've heard of ppl on beaut.ie that have done this and if they are giving you guff in the store email the head office.

Otherwise I'd try swapping it - such a pity when that happens. I think stargazer or barry m do a pure white foundation which is meant to be brilliant for adjusting colour. Personally I mix the lightest loreal true match colour with the too dark foundation and it does the job for me.

I think you should try return it also, I'd be surprised if they weren't helpful about it, and definitely escalate it otherwise

unfortunately i cannot return it as I live in Cork and I bought it on Dublin.

and to be honest, I do not want to go buying new items to mix it with at the risk of getting it wrong and/or ending up load a load of gunk on my face.

I suppose i could try adverts too..

• Advertisement

managed to sell my foundation via adverts.ie…. wow…. god bless the internet..:)

Advertisement