Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VHI renewal

Options
  • 19-03-2012 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭

MIssus's vhi is up for renewal at 1/4, she is 7 months pregnant.

I start a new job in the middle of April and they offer cover for me and her with Aviva.

However the crux of the matter from what I have been reading is that if she cancels her policy she has to pay up the remaining period of the policy, ie more than 11 months.

Obviously we don't want her to take a chance and have no cover for half a month.

Is it possible to get cover from VHI for only one month or do something so that the cancellation fee is lower?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,411 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If I was you I'd start a new policy with Aviva, pay the annual premium for their most basic policy, then ask for a pro-rata rebate when you go on the company scheme. If they start playing hard ball you can use your new employer to apply a bit of pressure, you'd have no such leverage with VHI.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

Find out which Aviva plan will be offered by the company and buy the same one from Aviva for both of you with a start date of April 1st (pay by monthly direct debit) and then they will cancel from the date of the new company policy. You will only have to pay a daily rate for the 2 weeks or so that you are on cover. Don't renew your policy with VHI and make sure that you cancel in writing before the renewal date.VHI offer virtually no flexibility anymore and you could do without the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭funnyname

Forgot to follow up but VHI covered my partner for half a month so that she was then able to come over to my policy once I joined my new job without any loss of coverage, many thanks for the replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Ms_Opinionated

Hey OP!!

The cancellation fees with VHI are in place but if she will switch to a policy that is paid for by an employer, whether with them or not, then there is no problem in switching! This is one of the main exceptions, along with death, moving abroad and redundancy!!

Advertisement