Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

finally mars

Options
  • 19-03-2012 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

After about 10 outings trying to capture Mars I finally imaged the ice caps
    and some surface features. Great clear night last night, hope the sugar loaf meeting was fun. Mars seems to be the hardest planet to capture, so many things to go wrong.

cs4sz.jpg

Put together a pic of the progression as I tweaked, well everything to try and sharpen up the view

2lji2j6.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

Nice pic, I find it very difficult to observe Mars. And very often find myself skipping over it alot!

What equipment were you using? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ThatDrGuy

Mars has been driving me crazy. Its very hard to observe properly. I had to wait until it was high in the sky to get any sort of decent viewing (less atmosphere to see through to cloud it). A barlow is essential or else all
    you will see is a bright red dot. Reprocessed my image to within an inch of its life :

kbqagh.jpg

Learned quite a few lessons about imaging it. Its an altogether different beast to Jupiter. Using Nexstar 11 with 2x barlow and Neximage. Stacked 160 images, processed in registax, astra image and photoshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭peterako

Wow!

That is excellent.

I've only just managed to capture Mars for the first time....last weekend.

Great job ThaDrGuy!!

Advertisement