Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

non-trade jobs

Options
  • 19-03-2012 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭

Hi

As there sounds like plenty of work for people in certain trades abroad for canada, oz etc im wondering what jobs are like in canade without a trade?

Office experience myself with a madia background also. wondering if jobs can be set up before going over or just have to apply when you get over there and hope for the best. this would be for the 1 year visa

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

from what i can gather from asking myself and lookin around if your just a general operative / non skilled worker then you have very slim chance of gettin a visa..

there is people with loads of college degrees that cant get visas and there is also tradesmen that are qualified in trades that arent needed and they also cannot get visas

so for the average joe like myself and many others that just do non skilled manual labour or customer service type jobs we are not really needed so badly but you can always try applying to places online and hope they get back to you.. it costs companies a few grand to sponsor an immigrant for a visa so they are less likely to take the risk and fees for someone they can just ifnd in their own backyard

head over for a holiday hand out loads of cvs and try get interviews and hope someone gets back to you before u have to come home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

There is work there but it's not as easy as to come by as RTE would have you believe. You will be in competition with unemployed Canadians and the many other nationalities on working holiday visas looking for non skilled and casual work. For unskilled and casual work you're probably wasting your time trying to set up a job before you come to Canada....not saying you can't try it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

Reading the Irish Mail today,Enda Kenny speaking in USA says Ireland is the new US and land of opportunity wonder what he was drinking on St Patricks day is he having delusions or what

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

barney4001 wrote: »
    Reading the Irish Mail today,Enda Kenny speaking in USA says Ireland is the new US and land of opportunity wonder what he was drinking on St Patricks day is he having delusions or what

The Irish Mail :rolleyes:
    IT and Pharaceuticals in Ireland is booming, but the moaning meedja won't let on to that. My sister a recently qualified graduate got a job within 3 months of graduating for a Pharma a company.

Also, he was speaking in the USA to potential investors. What would you expect him to say? "Our economy is a shambles, put your money elsewhere?

The celtic tiger is gone, but we are not in the great depression either.

Sorry to go off topic.

OP, have you considered Europe? No visa necessary. "Office experience myself with a media(?) background also". Theres alot of tech companies out there all needing office administrators and the like. There is also a demand for english-speaking customer service.

Advertisement