Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

550kg bullocks.What would u do with them.

• 19-03-2012 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

As the thread says iv 30 bullocks all around the 550kg mark.All around the 2 year old mark.A mixed lot with white heads, angus,blues,shorthorns and a few fresians.I was in kilmallock today having a look and the prices were mad.Most of that weight range were making 1200 to 1300 euro bar the fresians and they were not far behind.I bought them last may for around the 650 euro mark.I had it in my mind when i bought them to finish them but with those prices it has me thinking.Can these prices last.All the dealers and factory agents were out in force today.With them paying those prices are they confident of the prices staying good or are they going to get caught.Its a hard one to call.My question is would u run with them or hang tough and finish them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I'd say the last lads caught will be the likes of dealers and agents who are in tight with the factories... more likely to be joe soap..

How about offloading some now for a profit up front and then finish the remainder as you had planned.. The old saying "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" springs to mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭pat73

bbam wrote: »
    I'd say the last lads caught will be the likes of dealers and agents who are in tight with the factories... more likely to be joe soap..

How about offloading some now for a profit up front and then finish the remainder as you had planned.. The old saying "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" springs to mind...
    True saying.I suppose selling around ten or so would improve the cash flow and it would cover the costs of fertilizer,feed,silage, medicine over the winter and up to finishing the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

pat73 wrote: »
    True saying.I suppose selling around ten or so would improve the cash flow and it would cover the costs of fertilizer,feed,silage, medicine over the winter and up to finishing the rest.

If you will have to buy replacements at present I do not know if I would bother I have same problem but doing the sums by the time I would have bought replacements I be no better off if it is the case that you are going to sell and not need to but it is ok

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

Sell them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

And the land...

• Advertisement

If you will have to buy replacements at present I do not know if I would bother I have same problem but doing the sums by the time I would have bought replacements I be no better off if it is the case that you are going to sell and not need to but it is ok
    I have bought nothing in yet as prices for small cattle is mad.I was thinking of calves but mad again and the thought of feeding them before i start work at 7 is putting me right off that idea .Hard to know what to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Finish them. Prices arent going to drop that fast

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Pat tis a nice predicament to have:D

I'd say hold the angus and fresians on for beefing yourself in time for the olympics! Should be a big demand for steak around then and sell the rest now.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

1chippy wrote: »
    Finish them. Prices arent going to drop that fast
    I hope not.That virus in the uk and Europe has me thinking as well.The fear of turning on the telly some evening and sky news having a big news alert about the virus .Goodman wouldnt be long dropping his prices then.It shoudlnt go that way but its something thats out there.It would be nice to finishing them but if the prices dropped abit in six months would it make the carrying of them for the next 6 months a waste of time and money.I think all points given at the moment bar the selling the land one is a good point.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Pat tis a nice predicament to have:D

I'd say hold the angus and fresians on for beefing yourself in time for the olympics! Should be a big demand for steak around then and sell the rest now.
    .It is .I thought when i bought them that id get around the 1300 for finishing them but to be at that price now is great.Angus were very dear today as were fresians.For some reason today people were going mad for whiteheads .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

as you said yourself, smallstock is too dear, you will have to buy in something if you sell on and you are better make the most of what you have than spend something that are that much further back from the finishing line. if you can make more money take it and dont feel guilty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 same 130

was in balla mart today seen 280 kg black weanlings making 780 mad money

1chippy wrote: »
    as you said yourself, smallstock is too dear, you will have to buy in something if you sell on and you are better make the most of what you have than spend something that are that much further back from the finishing line. if you can make more money take it and dont feel guilty
    True.I might sell ten and hold the rest .No point paying 7 or 8 hundred for handy size cattle and having to bulid them up again.I had a fellow call today looking to buy the lot off the field.Id rather take them to the mart if i was selling and let 2 or 3 bid on them rather than just the one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

You'll get a great price now if you sell - but you'll get a right roasting if you need to replace them again - which is where your profit is

Tipp Man wrote: »
    You'll get a great price now if you sell - but you'll get a right roasting if you need to replace them again - which is where your profit is
    Thats for sure.I could sell them all and buy a bunch of calves but besides the hardship of rearing them the tax man would have killing off me at the end of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

just out of curiosty what would 3 jersey cross bulls ,about 200kgs be worth.and a few fr bulls too about the same weight

Advertisement