Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone any idea what this was over Wicklow Skies?

Options
  • 19-03-2012 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

My brother in law posted a video on Facebook with some strange lights in the sky. He described it as having the same colours as a the multicoloured fairy lights. I can't post his video, but it's exactly like this one posted by someone else on youtube:

He said it was much brighter than came out on the video, same as this other person. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ThatDrGuy

Video too blurry to tell. But in short - lights. Either from a plane (wings) or helicopter (skids)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

It was too big/bright to be that, plus there was no sound. After doing some youtube searches, seems like this has happened in a few other places but nobody seems to be able to explain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The quality is cack in fairness. \just look at the single light in the sky and compare it to ones in the distance on the ground, they are all the same colour, changing from blue green and red. Just a very poor and way out of focus camera. Nothing strange to see here and the East coast is always busy with aircraft lining up for position with approach to Dublin airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

shinny wrote: »
    My brother in law posted a video on Facebook with some strange lights in the sky. He described it as having the same colours as a the multicoloured fairy lights. I can't post his video, but it's exactly like this one posted by someone else on youtube:

He said it was much brighter than came out on the video, same as this other person. Any ideas?
    In fairness this is an astronomy forum, if someone wants to know what something is a little bit of detail is helpful, for example.....What direction was the "light"? How high up was it? Did it move? And If it moved, how fast was it? Was it clear or partially cloudy? What time was it observed? How long was it there? Where was it observed from?

Basically, almost anything other than just "what was a point of light I saw in the sky?" the answer to that question is "It could have been anything whatsoever that appears as a point of light in the sky".

If it was shining multicoloured it could have been Sirius. The only things that twinkle multicoloured are stars.
    Lots of people at the moment are getting quite excited about seeing Venus it's so bright, but it is a very steady bright white.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

In fairness this is an astronomy forum, if someone wants to know what something is a little bit of detail is helpful, for example.....What direction was the "light"? How high up was it? Did it move? And If it moved, how fast was it? Was it clear or partially cloudy? What time was it observed? How long was it there? Where was it observed from?

Basically, almost anything other than just "what was a point of light I saw in the sky?" the answer to that question is "It could have been anything whatsoever that appears as a point of light in the sky".

If it was shining multicoloured it could have been Sirius. The only things that twinkle multicoloured are stars.
    Lots of people at the moment are getting quite excited about seeing Venus it's so bright, but it is a very steady bright white.

It was about 8.30pm last night. I didn't see it, so I'm trying to guess the position from where I know the video was taken. I'm thinking it's NE. It was very bright and flashed different colours, didn't move and all for about 15 minutes.

Edit: After looking at some videos of Sirius, I think that's what it was. Raging I never saw it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

It was about 8.30pm last night. I didn't see it, so I'm trying to guess the position from where I know the video was taken. I'm thinking it's NE. It was very bright and flashed different colours, didn't move and all for about 15 minutes.

Edit: After looking at some videos of Sirius, I think that's what it was. Raging I never saw it myself.
    Well in the NE around that time you have Arcturus a bright reddish star and more northerly and rising a bit later Vega, a very bright white one, both will show twinkling colours when low in the sky though.

Sirius would be first visible in the South at sunset, moving westwards during the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭busymammy

I saw them, There were 4 lights in straight horizontal line over the Rathnew. And after about 20 min they vent away increasing distance between them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 dawson

I aswell saw these lights in wicklow, the same night.. a rewind of mine rang me to look out in the back garden up in the sky, I thought he was pulling a fast one, and sure enough 4 flashing lights, with equally the same distance apart. These were static not moving at all just flashing, this lasted for about 15 minutes before moving away in the same formation into the distance..
    It was brilliant to look at, very freaky.. they were there for that long I had enough time to ring a few people to check it out themselves, and they seen the exact same thing...

Advertisement