Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dragon's Den

• 19-03-2012 10:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone see John Heney (Farming indo) on Dragon's den? Will ye be buying it? :)

http://heneygate.com/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

If you go through it on a quad would the rider not get a dart of the electric fence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭9935452

Just out of curiosity, how much are they selling for?

If they work they look like they would be easy to copy/duplicate.

That said if i decided to use them i would only use them on interior gates and not going out onto roads or anywhere with access to roads, so if cattle ever broke out they would be on your own land

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Bizzum wrote: »
    If you go through it on a quad would the rider not get a dart of the electric fence?
    I suppose it would depend on how high the bar is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Looks like another farming gimmick. Wouldn't trust it. Whats it costing?

pajero12 wrote: »
    I suppose it would depend on how high the bar is?

Having thought about it.........The fact that the quad is on 4 rubber tyres would insulate the rider. I'm sharp tonight:)
    Could still give ya a nice whack if you were moving!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Great idea, very simple. Problem is, it's that simple you could make your own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Bizzum wrote: »
    Having thought about it.........The fact that the quad is on 4 rubber tyres would insulate the rider. I'm sharp tonight:)
    Could still give ya a nice whack if you were moving!

not quite that sharp at all.

it would indeed give a whack

the tyres would not insulate you

Frynge wrote: »
    not quite that sharp at all.

it would indeed give a whack

the tyres would not insulate you

I would have thought they would. I'll check some of these days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

i wouldnt use it for fields leading out to roads. they need a gate for sure. they would be handy within the farm though from one field to the other i would think. looks a bit flimsy though and should be made a tad stronger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

not a NEW idea!
    its really a different version of an ecklund drive-thru gate.
    Full-6606496.jpeg
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/machinery/2085150

didn't see dragons den episode
    I do think its a good idea for internal gatways as previously mentioned even if it for only a couple of key gateways or even just a portable unit for when buffer feeding in-field.

wish him the best with it but not a new idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

I wish the man luck but this is not a new idea. Couldn't believe there was no question from the Dragons about a patent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭fastrac

That puncture fixer liquid id hardly new to us either. Never heard a good word about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

The idea isn't new, but the way it hinges is, as far as I know. It works on 2 chains tied back at angles, so gravity, in effect keeps it closed. There are no springs on it, like other types so it should be more durable because of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

My concern is how it would work for calves and sheep.It seems like a good idea but if it's so simple to make, why wouldn't a fella just make it himself in his shed and keep the 150 notes in his own pocket??

John Heney, he is / was a fairly prominent member of ICSA?! Also he writes for Farm Indo? Is that the same fella?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

I have seen it at tullamore last year idea is good but its very flimsy very easy copy .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Sunset V wrote: »
    John Heney, he is / was a fairly prominent member of ICSA?! Also he writes for Farm Indo? Is that the same fella?

Yep, that's him.

I can't see it taking off unless they can get them made for peanuts. €150 is v expensive. At €20 a piece.... I'd still be debating it!

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. Why put up hundreds of metres of high tensile wire, only to put these in every gap?

Quite dairy cows is all they are suitable for IMO where poly wire is being used already to hold them.

Advertisement