Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phil Hogan

Options
  • 19-03-2012 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

What is schadenfreude?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Schadenfreude and Phil Hogan, what's the connection?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Davidian_ie

I'm not sure yet but I have emailed him personally to find out. I know he is busy but I'd like to know what he has to say about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

There are plenty of excellent word definition websites online, you don't need to write to your local TD.

I feel I do. I need to gauge Chairman Phil before I turn myself in at his constituency office for failure to comply with the household charge, as I'm not waiting for his secret police to take me away in the dead of night. I don't want to become one of the undocumented.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I'm not sure yet but I have emailed him personally to find out. I know he is busy but I'd like to know what he has to say about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I feel I do. I need to gauge Chairman Phil before I turn myself in at his constituency office for failure to comply with the household charge, as I'm not waiting for his secret police to take me away in the dead of night. I don't want to become one of the undocumented.

I still don't see the connection. Are you suggesting that Phil gets pleasure from enforcing the household tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

fabbydabby wrote: »
    I still don't see the connection. Are you suggesting that Phil gets pleasure from enforcing the household tax?

seen as he does not have to pay it himself i guess he does, as he is rather selective who is exempt.

All I can say is that he has forgot very quick, those who voted him in. Would love to see him knock the doors of his constituents and threaten them for the money. It is a cheap shot tax. Are they not stealing enough out of our pockets at the pumps?

Anyway the less money available to councils and councillors the better. Their system of governance needs to be changed and it would be irresponsible of me to contribute to them. All they are going to do is squander the money and a lot of them still with grease on their palms from this country's dirty past. Too many councils also in this country. Time the whole system was streamlined.

Now for the slating!

When I was living in Birmingham we paid council tax, our bins were collected and I got to play golf very cheaply every week on excellent council courses (there were other facilities available that I never used), I didn't feel hard done by. This tax annoys me because a lot of people buy houses so they won't have to pay rent etc.... when their mortgage is paid. €100 for absolutely nothing in return.

Unless you have access to a councillor, Minister or a TD the council ain't ever going to do anything for you. It's all take now with nothing in return. This government promised revolution regarding the way business was done in these kind of organizations but have failed to deliver any significant change. Maybe they just need the money to hire more traffic wardens for the city.

I think if Phil Hogan learned how to manage waste in his Department he wouldn't need to be spending his time inventing stupid taxes to crucify the people. The people are speaking out now about this charge but he ain't listening. How the hell will he be able to knock peoples door's during the next election campaign after what he is trying to inflict on people?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

I did try to tell you all about Phil Hogan, but a few wet themselves in excitement of having a Minister from Carlow-Kilkenny that they didn't listen.

Bet you wish you did now!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Silverscott

One thing for sure Phil You will never get a vote again from anyone in my family ever.
    And we aint paying the charge either.
    Sick of this **** in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Olivia O' Leary gave both barrels to ould Phil this evening..........
    http://www.rte.ie/podcasts/2012/pc/pod-v-2002124m25sdrivetimeolivia-pid0-265032.mp3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

The whole idea of local taxes and rates is that locals have direct say in how that money is spent. Different councils in London charge very different rates partly dependent on what local voters set as priorities.

In Ireland voters think government is the means by which they can live at everyone elses expense. Voting for a politician based on what can be gained personally is setting the system up for corruption. No one should be surprised when Irish pols help themselves, by voting for someone in anticipation of personal gain voters give their reps permission to be self serving.

I can't see property taxes working in Ireland as everyone expects them to be plundered by clientelistic reps who are only acting in a way that's endorsed by the selfishness of the "what are you going to do for me" voter.

In the end household taxes will be added onto the ESB bill. Simpler and cost effective too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Probably.

Olivia is dead right when she says small property tax would have really dampened the property bubble. I don't see what all the fuss is about with regard to property tax. It's less than €9 a poxy month, FFS!

It's a really stable, reliable, predictable (when administered correctly) tax and that's why most countries have one. But in Ireland we pounded our fist on the table and said we would never pay one, so instead our already struggling businesses get roasted with higher commercial rates to compansate.

What I want to know is, if 80% of people don't pay this and Phil does another U-turn, will I get my money back?

€9 here and €9 there, they eventually add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Seeing Phil has not bothered to tell us by official letter anything about this imposition, how can anyone pay.
    Before any one says do it online, there is no legal duty to read newspapers or the Kilkenny people, they are not official organs, I have never agreed to listen to RTE or KCLR, they are not official organs.
    I might have a computer but it is mine, and does not belong to anyone else, so I choose what to input and watch.
    However if someone i.e. the government want money and it is legal then send a payment request.
    This well you should have known idiom is not right it ain't legal, if this how Phil baby does business then it is time for him to give up with all his other cronies.
    Yes they did promise change, we do not need the high number of TD's or local councillor's, we are paying for what?
    But who do we put in charge, they all seem to be the same, is there any genuine officials left?
    Help

Sky King wrote: »
    Probably.

Olivia is dead right when she says small property tax would have really dampened the property bubble. I don't see what all the fuss is about with regard to property tax. It's less than €9 a poxy month, FFS!

Three times that at least next year..... FFS!
    THE PROPOSED PROPERTY tax will raise around €500 million in annual revenue, three times more than the new household charge will bring in, the Taoiseach Enda Kenny has said.http://www.thejournal.ie/property-tax-will-raise-around-e500m-taoiseach-312372-Dec2011/

Sky King wrote: »
    What I want to know is, if 80% of people don't pay this and Phil does another U-turn, will I get my money back?

You will in your hole.

Don't register - don't pay........... http://nohouseholdtax.org/your-questions-answered/

If I thought the Household Charge was going to be put to proper use I would have no problem paying it. To think that it is going to be wasted on some not to be named Councillors in the borough, just makes my blood boil. Besides they collect rates, motor tax and have huge revenue coming from parking in the city. Have they never heard of budgeting. Bottom line, I think this money is targeted to go straight into the bailout fund and the whole thing is a farce now. The bottom line with Chairman Phil is that he tried to get everyone to register as cheap as possible so he would have them ensnared for the real pain the following year when he triples the charges. When you take into account collection costs, advertising, administration costs etc. the €100 would hardly lead to a break even scenario.

Anyway, interesting post from another Kilkenny person on the subject, that looks more at the legality of what Chairman Phil is trying to push through.

http://reclaimthevoice.wordpress.com/2012/03/21/hogans-household-tax/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I think Phil is coming across as a bit of a prick, with this household charge and threatening people with jail and claiming that people are stupid if they can't use a computer is a bit much.

• Advertisement

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    I think Phil is coming across as a bit of a prick, with this household charge and threatening people with jail and claiming that people are stupid if they can't use a computer is a bit much.

In political terms the dudes a dead man walking.

Septic tank registration fee back down.

Jittery on the bogs.

And as of 5pm today only 300,172 households out of 1.6 million had paid the household charge.
    10 days to go.

EKRIUQ wrote: »

Maybe he thinks he is gentry and that Ireland is his estate and he is merely collecting his dues from his mere peasants. The more I think about this the more it stinks, it's bad enough that when I get in my car I am raped by the Govt., now they want to come into my house and ass_rape me some more. There is no fairness in this society and they are just widening the gap been the connected classes and everyone else. Oh and another bill in the post tomorrow for irish taxpayers of €250 million to pay legal expenses for the Mahon Tribunal. 15 years to tell us that no one will be going to jail and nobody will be paying back any money illegally received. Carry on Bertie, as you were.

Last thought. Are halting sites exempt from the charge? Could be interesting collecting down at places like Wetlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

flutered wrote: »
    seen as he does not have to pay it himself i guess he does, as he is rather selective who is exempt.

He does have to pay it himself.
    catbear wrote: »
    In Ireland voters think government is the means by which they can live at everyone elses expense. Voting for a politician based on what can be gained personally is setting the system up for corruption. No one should be surprised when Irish pols help themselves, by voting for someone in anticipation of personal gain voters give their reps permission to be self serving.

Thanks very much for the high opinion you hold of me/us.
    mikom wrote: »
    Three times that at least next year..... FFS!

Only three times. I'd put money on it that by 2015 it'll be at least €65 a month.

Can we say we have had enough of this TD? He is making Kilkenny a laughing stock.
    Please what advertising, have not seen one piece of literature, and as for people and computer's lets hope he slips up and sits on his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

In 10 days time, countless amounts of money will be spent in admin attempting to go after hundreds of thousands of people who haven't paid the household charge. And that's only when Fine Gael finally figure out how to implement collection of their own tax efficiently.

Phil Hogan's only been in a year and he's done more than enough to commit political suicide. Next elections, he's done.

He didn't research the implementation of his tax properly so I suggest he learns from his mistake and does some research on what to do when your political career flatlines. I'm sure he has Bobby Aylward's phone number.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Angus MacGyver

mikom wrote: »

And as of 5pm today only 300,172 households out of 1.6 million had paid the household charge.

How can we be sure that this figure is even accurate. The scare tactics will start next week when they release fraudulent figures claiming that over half have paid. In the panic the people who think they are now in the minority will start paying. Typical divide and conquer. The truth will come out down the line but will barely be reported on by the state run media.

do you think he will resign? If one cannot do a simple job, why are we still employing him? After all he is only an employee who has made a fanastic balls up. Probably not even council material.

I think Phil Hogan also needs to come out and give clarity about why he blocked any reviews of rezoning scandals, as brought up today by Eamon Ryan. Seems to have been a lot of local planning officers and county managers shielded from investigation also. The guy talked about transparency and a new way of the Govt doing business here,

http://electionleaflets.mygov.ie/full.php?q=198#l427

This ceiling on salaries for politicians is now laughable and what timing to try and sneak new pay rises through when the country is gripped with Mahon Fever,

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0322/1224313702095.html

Anyway at least nepotism and cronyism will never die under the FG/Lab watch,

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/majority-of-state-board-jobs-go-unadvertised-187967.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Thanks very much for the high opinion you hold of me/us.
    High or low, that's my experience. If it's not accurate then please offer your interpretation.

I can't see how some FG members were not caught up in the same planning irregularities during the bubble, Phil confirms that suspicion when he said there would be no inquiry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

There's a rumour that his Ma loves him, might be something to do with that.

Advertisement