Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phil Hogan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Perhaps I read your post wrong about the meeting with Lowry, apologies if that is so. It said that the party were not happy with the meeting and no they would not discus the tribunal, I am by nature a non believer, regards and thanks

Oh dear more woe for our Phil, will he go quietly, or does he need a gentle push?
    It seems some are not happy with what is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Interesting info on Philly baby, it seems we do not know where we are with these folk, they are more akin to butterflies than politicians.
    One might say we are only there to provide the money, other wise we are a hindrance.
    It is an opinion that one cannot trust those who hunt with the hare and the hounds.
    Any more good stories?
    Oh dear more woe for our Phil, will he go quietly, or does he need a gentle push?
    It seems some are not happy with what is happening.

I'm sorry, but what on earth are you talking about?

Einhard, sorry about the confusion, perhaps being subtle is not quite working, the man in question met with the Tipp TD, many member's of the party are suggesting it was not perhaps the wisest thing to do.
    On top of the botched Household levy, tax, etc, added to which the story from one of the mainstream dailies regarding the man's private residence in Portugal, and his response.
    Do we need politicians of this calibre?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭blowtorch

And last month, Hogan just happened to 'bump into' Denis O'Brien at Mount Juliet.

From today's indo............
    'Meanwhile, Mr Hogan and Mr O'Brien had a brief encounter at Mount Juliet Hotel last month.

The minister was having breakfast in the hotel when Mr O'Brien entered the restaurant.

"He did briefly bump into Denis O'Brien. They bumped into each other and exchanged pleasantries. They spoke for a matter of moments," a spokesperson said.

Mr Hogan holds honorary membership of Mount Juliet Golf and Country Club in Thomastown, Co Kilkenny, where Mr O'Brien has a holiday home.

Mr Hogan's officials insist he has not held any official meeting Mr O'Brien as a minister.'

- Plenty of Breakfast joints nearer to Hogan's home. Why travel to Mount Juliet?
    Or did he stay there overnight? If he did, then more than likely would have run info Denis O'Brien that evening somewhere. (The 19th perhaps)

- Bumped into each other? Hogan was having breakfast when O'Brien 'entered the restaurant'. Very clumsy. Must remember not to have breakfast in Mount Juliet, as
    someone might bump into me and I could spill tea all over myself.

- '... he has not held any official meeting......' Read the words closely. 'Official meeting'. It's the 'unofficial' meetings by Ministers over the years that helped get us to where we are now.

• Advertisement

Well Einhard, t'is not looking good, thanks Blowtorch, this just all adds weight to the problem.
    When in public office one has to be whiter than white, if you cannot be so, then resign.
    They should know we are not prepared to ACCEPT anything less, after what has transpired.
    There is an expression, if you sleep with the dog you catch its flea's, but guess it makes sense.
    Foxy:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Well Einhard, t'is not looking good, thanks Blowtorch, this just all adds weight to the problem.
    When in public office one has to be whiter than white, if you cannot be so, then resign.
    They should know we are not prepared to ACCEPT anything less, after what has transpired.
    There is an expression, if you sleep with the dog you catch its flea's, but guess it makes sense.
    Foxy:eek::eek::eek:

That's ridiculous. Like it or not, Lowry is the elected representative of the people of Tipperary and, in that capacity, he sought and received a meeting with a government minister long before the publication of the Moriarty report. As a TD, he's entitled to meet members of government on behalf of his constituency, and Phil Hogan has absolutely nothing to answer for in thsi regard. Talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Einhard, appreciate your opinion, you could well be right, but then?
    Any way enjoy the Easter, regards Foxy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

The reason I asked you how you how you responded back in Sept 08 was to see if you a short term knee jerk interest in politics. I believe from what you said you felt betrayed later, I assume that at that time you may have been undecided. Fair enough, many others felt the same.

Ponder this wise saying: People don't take an interest in politics until politics takes an interest in them. (I don't know who said it first)

The first priority of any elected government is reelection, the first priority of all media is to make a buck.

Irish voters have always expected favours from their candidate, that's why they ask "what are you going to do for me?".

Corruption in Ireland is societal and the people get the government they deserve. To change this corruption in politics, you have to change society. I am glad that you feel strongly about politics at this time but I believe you may be slightly short sighted in your remedies.

In other words, play the ball, not the man. Society sets the rules for politicians. No one should be surprised when an Irish politician helps themselves after the voter asks "what are you going to do for me?". The voters selfishness sets the bar at its very lowest for conduct expected of their public representatives.

Fine, so how does one set about changing society?
    It seemed neither party could do no wrong according to their supporter's, we will ignore the small parties, and independents for the moment.
    Both the main parties have now commited sufficient mayhem to loose support and a majority have no idea who can lead this country.
    Yes our politicians are only interested in re-election, the gravy train is a great incentive.
    Phil and his buddies have not delivered on the manifesto promises, and one cannot expect them to do so, unless the electorate say's enough is enough.
    They will of course need to raise their voices to do so.
    At this time do we need an elected government, figures like bumbling phil do no justice to our great country.
    We need a national government with no political bias, who will implement business for the good of all not the chosen few.
    Yes it is time to change, we have had and seen enough.

• Advertisement

Oh,how quiet the lads have been over the household charge, almost as silent as they have been over their election manifesto.
    Is Phil and Enda on holiday or are they down Mount juliet?

great news, apparently our phil has taken 19 days holiday, according to the kilkenny reporter.
    How many days does our phil get off in a year? I presume it is more than the average worker, seeing we are the paymaster for phil and the boys, do we not get a say as to the holiday entitlement.
    No wonder the household charge was a shambles, phil must have been in a great rush to get away.
    If no attempt is made to implement the manifesto within the next six month's are we not entitled to ask the lads to resign?

It seems our local free paper has got it wrong, our Phil was in Carlow yesterday, however from the reports it was not a good day.
    We cannot go down the road of violent protest's, however hated the household charge is. It is a self defeating exercise.
    The problem is that the politicians in power have not heeded the upswell of dissent, people power.
    Do they not realise ordinary people have had enough of watching the few being sheltered by the ruling party, bankers, developer's, have jeopardised
    the Irish economy by sheer greed.
    Then came our Phil with his ham fisted attempt at getting more money from the people, you cannot enact bad law's, for one it causes a great deal of public friction, and secondly any law must be seen to be fair, which unfortunately hasdn't happened.
    We are a gentle people and poor politicians are not wanted, yes it is time for change, but it must be done through the ballot box and communication.
    Time for the current politicians to bow out, we do not want mob rule.

Is the decision of our bank, AIB, to do away with free banking for a great majority of it's customers, anything to do with our Phil?
    Another sneaky revenue collecting exercise. Or perhaps Denis had a hand.
    The more days go by,it would appear Phil, and his cohorts are getting deeper into the mire.
    Why is it that an elder statesman like Phil, could not get the household tax better organised. It would seem that those people who have scrimped and saved all their life are the only ones being penalised.
    Why only house owner's who don't live in unfinished estates pay, is there something we are missing, is our money those who pay , going into the unfinished estates?
    Whilst agreeing there are people the state must look after, why are council tenants exempt, will none of the money go into council house repairs?
    There is a gathering storm of people who have seen and had enough of dodgy politicians, I cannot understand why our Phil has not stood up and voiced his distaste for corruption, he could become the champion of the people, and lead us into the future, come on Phil wash your hands of this lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Fox - the last 5 posts have all been you. Now I've no particular love for the man but I have to ask do you have any special interest in this?

Are you in another political party/do you have any involvement in local politics or some connection to those apposed to the household charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

I like what happened in Carlow last night. :D

If he turns up on my doorstep again during the next election this time I will let go of the dog.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

I regret to announce that earlier today the following people were added to my Ignore list:
    Fox
    That is all.

A discussion forum is where you put something out there and someone responds. Just saying, like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

I cannot understand why our Phil has not stood up and voiced his distaste for corruption, he could become the champion of the people, and lead us into the future, come on Phil wash your hands of this lot.

Didn't you meant to write you cannot understand how FG are not standing up and washing their hands of Phil!

The whole realm of the political scene appears tainted, once you have been drawn in, it would be difficult to get out.
    However, I personally believe a person should get an opportunity to set the record straight and work for the Irish people, nation, as a whole.
    Phil has the experience, to do just that.
    I like many, do not think the household charge was fair, the implementation a disaster, however the country due to the antics of banker's, developer's and underhanded dealings of the last government we are in trouble.
    There was a belief that this government would change the concept of Irish politics, as indicated in the manifesto, to which Phil was a part.
    No, it has not happened, we need someone to stand up and say so, John tried in the last government.
    It is going to take a brave man, one with the utmost integrity, that is why I am saying to Phil be that person, if you cannot, then one has to put up with all the comments.
    One final word, so what if the last how many posts have eminatged from me, do you not think we need to gather support to change our pathetic system of you scratch my back and I will scratch yours.
    Sincere regards Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

One final word, so what if the last how many posts have eminatged from me, do you not think we need to gather support to change our pathetic system of you scratch my back and I will scratch yours.
    Sincere regards Foxy

Philip has summed it up best for me...

"A discussion forum is where you put something out there and someone responds. Just saying, like."

• Advertisement

Highgiant1985, appreciate your comments, and basically understand from where you are coming from, however, I say this, everyone in Ireland has an interest, it is our country, our money and our children's future.
    Okay, not knocking anyone, one can of course choose to ignore these facts, it is a matter of choice.
    I would not be proud having Phil needing to take cover in Carlow, this is a democracy, the man is doing a job, perhaps not one he enjoy's.
    You must make your own decision as to when to post, as I will.
    I think this thread is important, in fact vital to both Phil and the electorate.
    Yes, we do need a new vision for the future, one can be part of it or an ostrich.
    Thank you and regards

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I think this thread is important, in fact vital to both Phil and the electorate.

No this thread isn't even on Phil's radar, you'd be surprised how many people don't read boards. This forum in the last week has an average of six posts per day. We have around twenty regulars in here. I am the only regular with an average of one post per day in the last six months, the next has 0.48 posts per day or less than one post every two days. Kilkenny County is less, one poster has an average of one post per day, the next has 0.09 or one post every sixteen days. I generally don't close threads in the Kilkenny forums as it's hardly overly active and I know some of the users prefer to post in here to communicate with a smaller audience as opposed to say after hours where it can be next to impossible to keep up with a thread, this is why I don't really use the soccer forum that much as it's just too busy and I like to be able to support and get feedback from my points after I make them. I am considering closing this thread as it's gone from local TD to national level. When three posters raise concerns I feel the very least I can do is make my thoughts known. Foxy, I don't think you understand your audience.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

There's loads of people lurking though, and not posting.

JmcG thread has over 10,000 views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Kaner2004

Being from Phil Hogans constituency with many friends and family still living there, many of whom voted for him. I am fairly certain come next election he is for the chop. His political career is OVER.
    People just hate this fukr. I wish I was still living there so I could vote for everyone else ahead of them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sky King wrote: »
    There's loads of people lurking though, and not posting.

JmcG thread has over 10,000 views.

But it was started in January 2011, so you have to factor in google search results and stuff where people may click into it and find it of no interest what so ever.

Criticism is healthy, provided it is genuine and not politically motivated.
    The question regarding Mr Hogan, should it be national or local, as the gentleman is our elected TD, I believe we have a right to our opinion.
    Whilst agreeing it is really a national issue, as our TD and given the shambles we are witnessing, it does in a way reflect back on the constituants for electing someone who should not be in the position they are in.
    Regards Foxy

perhaps this is a national issue, but no one has commented on the fact that a fair number of people are reputed to have been given positions on stae boards without them being advertised, by our TD Mr Hogan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Foxy, I said that I liked what happened in Carlow. I didn't say that I was proud of it. There is a difference.

Up for anything, thanks but I fully understand how you feel, you said what you wanted to say, and I reckon you had a lot of people on your side.
    I feel the same way about politicians, though it really is a tough job, you cannot please all the people, however this lot are really going out of their way to upset everyone.
    Whilst Phil is our TD, I reckon there is a cunning plan to take everyones mind off of the banker's.
    Well said and do take care, regards Foxy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Davidian_ie

Foxy, I think you are letting Big Phil eat you up inside. He is like a cancer now that won't leave you.

Might I suggest you put your energies into starting a petition calling for Phil Hogan to resign his seat in the constituency of Carlow-Kilkenny. It is obvious that his own constituents have now turned on him and he appears to be nothing more than a political imbecile. At this stage he is an embarrassment to those who elected him and he achieved his position by deceit.

http://www.ipetitions.com/ could be a good place for you to burn off your energy and frustration.

Advertisement