Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phil Hogan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Davidian ie, thanks for your words of wisdom, appreciated of course, will consider going down that path, thanks again and sincere regards, Foxy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Kaner2004

What will happen next is that they will have to move him to a safer job in the next year or two if they want him re-elected. Somewhere where he can hide and hope people forget what a prick he is.
    I think no matter how good they are at hiding him away, that people should remember and mount endless campaigns to NOT vote for the fukr.

One theory I have heard more than once is that he has been guaranteed a plum job next term, because he wont be elected again.
    The only risk would be that FG dont get back in, but there is zero chance of that.

Yes I agree with you, however there appears to be some who do not see it quite that way, of course everyone is entitled to an opinion.
    I was in my way trying to get something going on those lines, it became debateable whether this was a local or national issue.
    As our TD it was local in my opinion, for those outside Carlow/Kilkenny it was without doubt a national issue.
    Though, I have a feeling the man is letting himself be used, no one can be that thick, surely?
    From the comments, where can he be hidden, will anyone want him?
    Our moderator is of the opinion we are not even on his radar, he maybe right, if so how does one get through to him that his time has come to resign?
    Thanks again regards Foxy
    PS what about shatter and Kenny?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Even if Phil left in the morning property taxes and rates are needed to sustain essential services. This is logical and practical. Keep shooting the messenger all you want but sustainable funding has to be established. The nation is currently on life support and there are no quick fixes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

catbear wrote: »
    Even if Phil left in the morning property taxes and rates are needed to sustain essential services. This is logical and practical. Keep shooting the messenger all you want but sustainable funding has to be established. The nation is currently on life support and there are no quick fixes.

True, but the message might be better received if the messenger was not an arrogant gob****e with zero communication skills.

• Advertisement

Hi Catbear, so very true, it is a question of getting back to basic's. Funding for essential services must be established once and for all, and agreed the messenger is actually unimportant.
    In my opinion what get's up everyones nose is the sheer wastye of money that went on and is still going on unabated.
    There is no way we need the number of councillor's, nor is it necessary for the amount of funds being allocated to them, whilst i am all for education and learning, trips to Kerry are a definate no no.
    We should start at the top, half the number of TD's, do we need the Senators? Stop giving handouts to those who do not get re-elected etc.
    If only I could get this acquaintance of mine to enter the political arena, I might feel secure with what is happening to the countries money.
    I call him my friend, has knowledge of another country with strange politics and an ability to waste taxpayers money, so I am told.
    Back to us, a rating system that was reasonably fair, without too many slipping through the net, protect the real poor of the country of course,
    is needed, without the crooks and the such like.
    Taxing for the sake of paying bondholder's is never going down.
    Well will close and once again thanks for bringing your usual commonsense into play, time to put the pea-shooter back in it's box, Foxy

time to put the pea-shooter back in it's box, Foxy
    :)
    I can't disagree with any of that. People don't appreciate what they've got unless they pay for it so preferably no opt outs.
    It good that you are looking beyond Phil Hogan, to treat a politician as infallible is a guarantee of disappointment. Politics isn't just about elections, it requires constant vigilance.

Thanks Catbear, thinking on the lines that the man's name should be removed from the thread, there are more important issues out there.
    My problem is and many others; is how do we get this country back on track?
    The household charge was an absolute nonsense, trying to get money from people is high impossible the way it was thought out, or not as the case maybe.
    Unfinished estates and those who paid excess stamp duty should not allow exemption, nor being a council tenant, the system needs to seen to be fair and run on secure lines.
    We need professional unbiased ability to organise this country for the future, so that our children can look forward to prosperity without all the bickering that we have had to put up with.
    Thanks again. Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Phil Hogan as an individual I can't stand but from a purely paroichial viewpoint he has done a fair bit locally already like save the army barracks (nearly 400 direct jobs there and many other indirect ones folks) and I believe St. Lukes A&E dept extension is proceeding ahead now.
    Make no mistake; without a senior Minsiter at cabinet the barracks would be now closed and the people of KK/Carlow would be shipped down to overcrowded facilities in Waterford hospital. So, that's unfortunately how Irish politics works and KK have been on the wrong end of such decisions for far too long. Only recent we got a decent road network.
    I know Phil Hogan is the devil incarnit and I wouldn't vote for him, but I can see how he can "get things done". I can think of lots of further things I hope he might deliver like extending the ring road, upgrade the N77 road, and influence further investment both public and private in Kilkenny (and Carlow).

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Davidian_ie

Ok last thing I'm ever putting up on this thread. Giving up reading Irish papers also because they are just too depressing, just going to live in blissful ignorance from now on. I know this country has had a lot of imbeciles in power over the years but now looks like we have the first political retard on record.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/siemens-cheaper-water-meter-offer-snubbed-by-minister-hogan-3088254.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Davidian_ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

LOL. Good auld Phil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

At the lower end, five ministers are among those making the lowest repayments – with environment minister Phil Hogan giving back €11.90

Was it worth the free government postage stamp?

To give back so little is akin to sticking two fingers up to every voter in the country, such a lack of respect is alarming for a public figure.
    How much is it going to cost us to send him to Brussells? However it appears he is not on his own, as it has been said the man involved is insignificant, it is the system that needs to be looked at.
    Kenny and his cronies have failed to make change they were advocating, is there nothing in the constitution that can force them to bring about change to the way this nation is governed.

Phil Hogan, the minister responsible for collecting the household charge, availed of "soft" loans of close to €900,000 that were approved by toxic building society boss Michael Fingleton who has cost the State €5.4bn.
    http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/nationwides-soft-loan-to-hogan-3161567.html
    for anyone in doubt that there never was any difference between FF and FG.
    Phil voted for the bank bailout, in the national interest of course or was he thinking about keeping his chums afloat?
    If it smells like sh*t and it looks like s*it, it is shi*.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

He will still get in in the next election, regardless.

This fills me with dispair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

was there not a plot of ground at the back of a house in freshford sold for around 2m, during the boom, the canny owner still lives in the origional house, i wonder whose books held that little portfolio, funnily enough the former owner spends quite an amount of time playing golf in the sun.

@flutered, if the sale happened as you state it did then it will be a public record so you name the person. Otherwise you just come across as unjustifiably bitter.

i am not bitter, far from it, i did not say who bought the plot did i, i do know the seller though, if you want any more info do the hard graft yourself, i hopped a ball then you ran and caught it, carry on with your solo run.

Flutered, this thread is not about you, it's about Phil Hogan. Now unless your input has something to do with Phil Hogan you're only wasting your own time.

If you want people to play a guessing game with you then start a new thread called "I know something about someone but I'm not telling you and no I'm not a bitter time waster".

• Advertisement

Catbear, I remember your words, it is not poor old Hogan, it is the government system we haved.
    Poor old Phil is sinking further and further into the mire, but what about the rest of them in the Dail, are they not just as bad, we are being run by corruption and greed and just watch thedm make little or no attempt to stop their friends from making as much as possible from the worker's.
    Ireland has to say STOP we have had enough, we cannot let this style of government continue any longer.
    Who we put into run the country is another matter which needs sorting urgently, there must be someone who is not corrupt and can re-write a constitution?
    You are right names and more names, no inuendo's.

this is boards.ie not the mail on sunday, i do not know who bought the plot i do know who sold it, i do know that the seller spends most of his time playing golf in the sun, as would i if i was in his shoes, you have ran so far with the ball i hopped you are now in a corner with no where to go.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

What is the connection between Phil Hogan and a guy who sold a plot of land?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

I know a fellow who sold his car on donedeal, I think he went to Spain for a holiday and he might have played golf there too. He had a bicycle once too and I'm pretty sure he did other things aswel. Nothing to do with this thread but just thought I'd bring it in seeing as others think random ramblings somehow enrich the discourse. After all it's the internet and not the paper.

I used to have great hopes that the internet would facilitate and encourage greater understanding of the human condition, instead it as likely to be a showcase for mindless meanderings about unknown fields being sold by unknown people who played golf in Spain.

Foxy, the government is broken, the politicians are broken, and as epitomized by the aforementioned pointless ramblings, swaths of the electorate appear to be inoperable to the point of being a serious distraction from political reform and hence a hinderance to themselves and others.

@Flutered, this corner you mentioned, would it happen to be in this mystery field of yours? Take your time, I understand you have difficulty understanding the difference between the real and the imaginary. Go take a walk in a field and have a think about it but stay away from the corners incase you can't get out of them again!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Phil hogan is pretty much Ff repackaged with extra arrogance thrown in! However, we all "want a minster" as that's how we get things in this country. Same all over. The 3 other govt Tds we have pretty dire to be honest.

mfitzy wrote: »
    Phil hogan is pretty much Ff repackaged with extra arrogance thrown in! However, we all "want a minster" as that's how we get things in this country. Same all over. The 3 other govt Tds we have pretty dire to be honest.
    If you mean same all over ireland, I agree. But if you mean same all over the world then I disagree. There are countries where we're people expect their elected representatives to put national interests before local concerns. That's why some countries have better infrastructure and services than Ireland.

Why has it gone quiet in respect to the elected representative, is he in Portugal or at Mount Juliet, perhaps Kenny and the boys are putting him out to grass, or is he collecting the 100 euro's from non payers.
    I think Catbear is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

catbear wrote: »
    If you mean same all over ireland, I agree. But if you mean same all over the world then I disagree. There are countries where we're people expect their elected representatives to put national interests before local concerns. That's why some countries have better infrastructure and services than Ireland.

Some countries also have substantial property charges and local taxation. Which, ironically, is one of the planks being used to beat Hogan around the head.

I think ireland is the only country in the OECD that doesn't have any private property taxes.

• Advertisement

I am of the opinion Hogan has been crucified due to the lack of direction of the governing party, you must have a system of taxation other than what we have, the worker paying more and more.
    However property taxation is of course a vote loser which ever way you look at it, but it is a necessity.
    However unlike the household charge which Phil is said to have organised had so many holes in it, either taxation applies on all property and varies only on the pricing structure or land value, there could well be civil discontent.
    I found the household charge abhorrent in that so many people escaped, council house dweller's, unmade estates etc, people with green front doors might well have been a reason, for this phil committed political suicide, if he is packed off to Europe that will be an even worse situation.
    Either Enda has the balls to carry through the promised reforms or he should say it's the enda the road.

Advertisement