Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phil Hogan

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Phil Hogan, has he on his own decided to do away with coffins or is ita government idea? Surely if these foreign chappies want to do it their way what will come next?
    Apparently coffins are made in China these days but it must be a nail for Irish coffin makers, or are they being screwed as well.
    Phil has kept his head down for a while now.

Whats wrong with giving people choice?

Also your post suggests every Muslim is foreign...this isn't the case. Coffins are seriously overpriced, its no harm to give people a choice on such an expensive item.

Personally I'm opting for a cardboard coffin, costs around 200e.
    Bloody thing goes into the ground, why are people spending stupid money on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

Cabaal wrote: »

Personally I'm opting for a cardboard coffin, costs around 200e.
    Bloody thing goes into the ground, why are people spending stupid money on it?
    in the past a coffin was a sign of either a persons wealth or status in life,
    quite a few years ago i done a deal with a local undertaker, i paid €1,500 for a funeral, my thinking was if i died first mrs flutered would not have to pay for my funeral, also it was visa versa, the second to die would not have a bill, who ever would like could pay for the second one, i told a few people what i had done, only to be told i was mad, at the price of them now it looks like money well spent.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

flutered wrote: »
    in the past a coffin was a sign of either a persons wealth or status in life,
    quite a few years ago i done a deal with a local undertaker, i paid €1,500 for a funeral, my thinking was if i died first mrs flutered would not have to pay for my funeral, also it was visa versa, the second to die would not have a bill, who ever would like could pay for the second one, i told a few people what i had done, only to be told i was mad, at the price of them now it looks like money well spent.

Could turn out to be a waste, what happens if undertaker dies/goes out of business? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Good Lord no one is suiggesting people should not have a choice, haven't we spend many hours asking for Tesco in Kilkenny and Aldi in Callan.
    I agree coffins are over priced, my old mum had to make sure hers was going to be genuine wood, none of this MDF stuff.
    Are we not asking the ruling party to tax funerals suggesting we can do it cheaper, they appear to want to tax everything else.
    One forgets we have Irish muslims, apologies to those of that fraternity, seeing we have a close afinity to the Knights Templar I was under the impression Ireland had no such religious cult, but times have changed, didn't the Knight Templar fight muslims in the holy land, maybe i am wrong but are the Freemasons a spin off.
    Thank you for correcting my ignorance, a saviour in our midst Cabaal

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Good Lord no one is suiggesting people should not have a choice, haven't we spend many hours asking for Tesco in Kilkenny and Aldi in Callan.

I have so far spent no hours, no minutes and no seconds asking for Tesco in Kilkenny.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Foxy, please stop dragging Tesco into every discussion.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Captain Havoc, you really do not have to shout, I fully understand your dilema and promise not to mention ..... again, unless it is relevant to the thread, so to avoid any further confrontation on the subject I will refer only to "They who cannot be mentioned".
    It is not cycling weather is it? Mind how you go, regards as always Foxy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Captain Havoc, you really do not have to shout,

If I type in bold it's because you have been.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Captain Havoc, I have read your post quite a few times and I am sitting here gazing out on a lovely peaceful rural scene, trying desperately to work out what the intention was of the post.
    I could not find any reason for another shout, unless of course you are under some undue pressure, which can happen to us all from time to time.
    as a believer in the freedom of the individual to express themselves, with limitations of course, in open discussions such as "Boards".
    As you requested that i should not drag whatever into a post, i acquiested to that request and advised you accordingly.
    However that seems to have invoked another shout, I fully understand that you and others may not agree with my post's, which is as it should be.
    So to avoid causing you any further perplexing problems, i have with a great reluctance decided that it would be in everyones interest if i refrain from taking any further part in threads etc.
    So Captain I bid you well and farewell, Foxy

One must presume our Phil is on holiday as his name seems to be out of the frame at this time.
    Do we know how he feels about abolishing the upper house? Our political animals seem to have gone to ground, perhaps all will be revealed when the Dail awakens.
    There is not much on our other lad.

• Advertisement

you are wrong, he was on tv this week explaining how hee was going to fvuk up the water charges, he is intent on changing a simple way to an multi usless way, ah well thats our long fill, any thing he touches turns to schite.

Well I missed that, so what is the lad going to do with the water charges, I suppose if he does away with them we could all drink to that, thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

you are wrong, he was on tv this week explaining how hee was going to fvuk up the water charges, he is intent on changing a simple way to an multi usless way, ah well thats our long fill, any thing he touches turns to schite.

Explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

I'd say at this stage the man could give €200 to an animal shelter and be slated for not giving it to the homeless center.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

If he discovered a cure for cancer he'd be lambasted for ignoring heart disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

catbear wrote: »
    If he discovered a cure for cancer he'd be lambasted for ignoring heart disease.

No fan of his but unlike most of our "concensus" politicians i.e Bertie Ahern and his ilk he doesn't tell people what they want to hear constantly.
    He tells it as it is i.e. that we are broke and that people have to pay for THEIR public services. He doesn't sugercoat it and be all nicey-nice because that's just hypocritical. This is why he is so unpopular. And it has became fashionable to dislike him.
    I just wish he was in charge of social welfare and sort out the joke that is the gravy train here.

Doff wrote: »
    I'd say at this stage the man could give €200 to an animal shelter and be slated for not giving it to the homeless center.

as they say around here it is doubtfull if hed give his piss to the crows.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

as they say around here it is doubtfull if hed give his piss to the crows.

He might not but he'd tell you, the crows and whoever else wanted to know. Road_High hit the nail on the head it just seems like a bandwagon that's pretty easy to hop on because he's such an easy target for being so direct.

I probably do not vote for him, neither did I vote for McGuiness, however they are there to do a job, whether they do a good job or not, only time will tell.
    But to take the piss out of them for no other reason is pretty low down in my book, okay if they have been party to something shady and there is proof and it is in the public forum then they are fair game.
    Whether the people of Kilkenny like it or not Phil has put money our way, now if the council spend it wisely fair play however if they waste it then the council should be told in no uncertain manner.
    To come round, for instance the Amusement arcade, haven't seen anything positive we have had a lot of negative comments. Is Kilkenny so righteous a place, perhaps a trip down John St on a Saturday night might change a few minds, especially saying it will attract the wrong people, does one need to go on.
    The other comment we don't need that sort of person, bollocks, we need people to spend cash in our city, ask the shop keepers.
    So please give our Phil the respect he deserves as a public servant.
    Foxy

Advertisement