Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bolt action handle loose.

Options
  • 19-03-2012 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

I took out my semi auto shotgun for a good cleaning. While dissasembling it the action dropped on the floor and the bold handle retention spring shaped like a 'U' must have went flying and made a nice little home for itself somewhere in the sitting room. When i put it back together the handle was loose and able to turn and pivet there is alot of give in it its barely just stuck in.

My question is really what price are they i cant imagine it being much and is it still safe to fire????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Without the bolt fully put together I wouldn't for one moment contemplate firing it...you'd be inviting disaster if it even fires at all. Even if it's only a loose cocking handle I don't want to find out where it ends up when the gun recoils.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

The thing about gun mechanisms is that every bit is there for a purpose, like that little spring.

If it wasn't needed to enable the gun to function safely, then the designer wouldn't have used it in the fust place.

Get a replacement part and install it before you press the trigger on a live round again.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Start taking the living room apart until you find that critical part.:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mike91

couldnt find it.. got one of a dealer yesterday the thing was the size of a staple

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Make sure the gun cycles, and feels right. Even use a dummy round, and dry fire to check before firing a live round. Just too be sure.

Make sure to fire the first shot in a safe direction into an appropriate backstop, and keep the gun away from your face. Remember it only takes one mistake.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Might want to keep one or two handy if they are not too expensive..It sounds like it could be a part that goes walkies pretty quick.;)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

That's why it's a good plan to dismantle a finicky gun inside a clear plastic bag - that way not only can you see what you are doing, but you can rapidly identify the bit that went 'boing' and 'disappeared over your shoulder' when you dismantled it in the open.

Umarex CO2 pistols have a LOT of parts like that, so I'm told...

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

You can always do the wheelbarrow test after you've checked that she's put back together again properly. It's a very scientific method that works as follows: cable tie the gun to a wheelbarrow with a good bit of weight in it ( a large bag of coal will do fine ) use about 30 feet of string looped around the trigger and fire it by pulling the string. And since yours is a semi you should be able to fire a few rounds in quick succession. Of course safe direction etc apply just like you would fire it from the shoulder.

Advertisement