Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

next gaming build

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Looks good. If you're fond of the R3, there's one with a silver front in stock.
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=36380

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

cheers! i'm not hell-bent on an R3, is there any other decent cases with dust filters/nice cooling? don't care about noise tbh just hate dust build up. also i will be using eclipse for java etc soon enough so would i be better off going for an i7 when thinking about compile times etc? or even waiting for an ivy bridge i7?

thanks again buddy

edit; actually is there such a thing as a fan with a built in dust filter on HWS? now that would be handy. or even sheets of dust filters that i could stick onto the fan before i put it on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

http://www.quietpc.com/products/gaming/qpc-filters
    These are very good...i have a few and they work a treat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

darego wrote: »
    ...i will be using eclipse for java etc soon enough so would i be better off going for an i7 when thinking about compile times ...
    I use Eclipse daily working on a large enterprise project, compiling using a dual core 2.53Gh/z 540M is MAX 10 mins, this project is huge and we even use AspectJ which slows down compiling.

I also use it at home for some smaller just for fun projects which compile instantly.
    What I'm trying to say is, you don't need an i7 for coding, it won't make much of a difference unless your working on massive projects and from the sounds of what you said I imagine your only going to be starting so will only be doing smaller projects.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

darego wrote: »
    cheers! i'm not hell-bent on an R3, is there any other decent cases with dust filters/nice cooling? don't care about noise tbh just hate dust build up. also i will be using eclipse for java etc soon enough so would i be better off going for an i7 when thinking about compile times etc? or even waiting for an ivy bridge i7?

Hyperthreading can shave a reasonable amount off compile times alright, suppose it is just a matter of just weighing up the pros and cons of the extra cost.

If the projects are pretty small not sure I'd bother whats a few extra seconds, on the other hand if you are building something like Chromium :p as per the benchmark below then 18 minutes for the i7-2600k vs 27 minutes for the i5-2500k is a very signifigant gap. Obviously compile that long is a very rare exception, but it does show the effect of HT nicely. Personally I have worked on a few large projects and I don't think I have ever come across anything that that took more than about 10 minutes on much inferior processors.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

cheers lads

Advertisement