Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trolley roll cage for storage

Options
  • 20-03-2012 3:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks, I started this thread in the DIY forum but thought, maybe wood could work well too. Basically looking for something like this: http://www.3jc.co.uk/product_cage-shelving-trolley-with-doors_2004.html a bit more compact and taller would be preferable I think and it wouldn't need to hold near 500kg of items.

Just wondering if anyone here has advice or suggestions. How much a custom design of something similar would cost and what wood would be best for longevity, strength etc?

Any feedback appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hi again, so after talking to a few fabricators, the cost of something similar to the above, custom made, is going to be far too expensive (about €800). I'm also thinking it might be quite heavy so think a timber construction might be best.

It's not going to be holding much in terms of weight, a spare tyre, a few straps and a few blankets, 100kg max at any time I reckon. The bottom will be holding the tyre upright and then there should be maybe 3 shelves above it, with different levels at which they can be set. The shelves will need to be strong and light so maybe just 5mm ply or similar.

Can anyone suggest what timber would be best to use etc? If anyone would like to quote me for making it please do as I'd like to get it made up soon :) I'd also want wire mesh at the sides, that would be strong enough to hold a bungee chord and the likes without ripping off.

I don't want MDF used at all as it's going to be at the back door so may have to endure all sorts of weather.

van_rack_thumb_1.png
    Click for larger image

Advertisement