Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Working In A Mine Count As Work For A Second Year Visa?

Options
  • 20-03-2012 4:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭

I worked for a company in Perth that makes ports cabins (dongers) for the mines.
    I was asked to go to a mine to install a few for an office block.
    My question is does this type of work count as regional?, I worked 14 days the mine.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,342 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

STIG83 wrote: »
    I worked for a company in Perth that makes ports cabins (dongers) for the mines.
    My question is does this type of work count as regional?, I worked 14 days the mine.
    Thanks.
    Regional refers to the postcode where you did the work. I'm assming you are fine on that front. Then there's a list of eligible specified work on the immi website. In my opinion its counts, not under mining though, under construction site prep.

Edit: Just checked, its under non-residential construction.
    •mining
    ◦coal mining
    ◦oil and gas extraction
    ◦metal ore mining
    ◦construction material mining
    ◦non-metallic mineral mining and quarrying
    ◦exploration.
    ◦mining support services

•construction
    ◦residential building construction
    ◦non-residential building construction
    ◦heavy and civil engineering construction
    ◦land development and site preparation services
    ◦building structure services
    ◦building installation services
    ◦building completion services
    ◦other construction services.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Mellor wrote: »
    Thanks.
    Regional refers to the postcode where you did the work. I'm assming you are fine on that front. Then there's a list of eligible specified work on the immi website. In my opinion its counts, not under mining though, under construction site prep.

Edit: Just checked, its under non-residential construction.
    •mining
    ◦coal mining
    ◦oil and gas extraction
    ◦metal ore mining
    ◦construction material mining
    ◦non-metallic mineral mining and quarrying
    ◦exploration.
    ◦mining support services

•construction
    ◦residential building construction
    ◦non-residential building construction
    ◦heavy and civil engineering construction
    ◦land development and site preparation services
    ◦building structure services
    ◦building installation services
    ◦building completion services
    ◦other construction services.

So the work I did then counts towards a second year?
    Least I have 14 days done.
    Another question, is there a time limit on when you must have your regional work done before the first year WHV is up?
    My visa is up the end of August.

You have until the last day of your WHV to lodge the second. So you have until that day to complete the work.

74 regional days to go. If you are goign to be doing sporadic days/weeks liek that keep a good record of it as well as contact details for somebody who car verify.

Something else I thought of, the company who I worked with in the mines , their address is in Perth, but the work was done in Karara Mine.
    There won't be problems putting down the company address in Perth?

Something else I thought of, the company who I worked with in the mines , their address is in Perth, but the work was done in Karara Mine.
    There won't be problems putting down the company address in Perth?

The companys address doesn't mater. Where you carry out the work is the relevant information.

Similarly, a work done for a company absed in a regional area doesn't count if the work takes place in a non regional area like a main city.

• Advertisement

While I'm here, what is the best way to send in the paperwork for the regional? Online or by post?
    I'm confused by the links on the immigration website.
    What is the proper one link?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

While I'm here, what is the best way to send in the paperwork for the regional? Online or by post?
    Online is the easiest, if you can attach the paper form (with details of work done & signatures) as a scanned pdf along with the electronic form then it'll probably be a lot quicker.

I just took a photo of mine and attached it.

*EDIT*

Link you need for applying (online) for 2nd WHV inside Australia.
    https://www.ecom.immi.gov.au/visas/applyNow.do?form=WHM2on

You will also need to print out and fill in Form 1263 and get your employers to verify and sign. This is then attached to your electronic application as I explained above.
    http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1263.pdf

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Online is the easiest, if you can attach the paper form (with details of work done & signatures) as a scanned pdf along with the electronic form then it'll probably be a lot quicker.

I just took a photo of mine and attached it.

*EDIT*

Link you need for applying (online) for 2nd WHV inside Australia.
    https://www.ecom.immi.gov.au/visas/applyNow.do?form=WHM2on

You will also need to print out and fill in Form 1263 and get your employers to verify and sign. This is then attached to your electronic application as I explained above.

Attach and send as an email?
    Do I need to scan and attach bank statements, etc aswell with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Attach and send as an email?
    Do I need to scan and attach bank statements, etc aswell with this?
    It's an online web application, so just start the program, fill in the details and upload the attachment (form 1263) at the end. You'll be prompted to do this.

As for bank statements, I don't remember being asked for this. If they do require it they'll email/call and let you know. Also bear in mind you might be randomly selected for an interview.

Bumping this again, i have been hearing stories that Perth is now Regional, wanted to make sure so i called Immigration.
    Guy i spoke to on phone said it was, it came in about 6 months ago, i explained to him i am in Oz on a WHV and want to do my Regional, he was very sure it was, either he is right or doesnt know what he is doing in his job :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

either you weren't clear or he was completely incompetent.

Perth is classed as regional but it is not relevant to you getting a 2nd year WHV. It is only useful for the RSMS Regional Sponsorship Migration scheme. Which of course has certain Criteria which you must meet but basically;

If you have a degree or a Trade certificate in anything, and can get a Job offer for a position extending 2 years or more, in any job that is in Regional Australia, Perth now included. Then you can apply for said Visa, which costs about $7000.

Although this is a Permanent residence Visa, you will be limited to working in Regional Australia.

Bump again.
    I mentioned in first post i worked in a mine, i worked there under an ABN, i got paid into my bank account and got no pay slips. Could i include my bank statement to prove i worked there?

Im back from doing work on a farm which was voluntary, not getting paid but getting meals and accommodation provided, whats the process for where they ask online did i have evidence of the work?

Bump again.
    I mentioned in first post i worked in a mine, i worked there under an ABN, i got paid into my bank account and got no pay slips. Could i include my bank statement to prove i worked there?
    Yeah. Bank statement showing regular payments and say ATM withdrawls in the area is acceptable proof.
    Im back from doing work on a farm which was voluntary, not getting paid but getting meals and accommodation provided, whats the process for where they ask online did i have evidence of the work?
    Contact details for a supervisor.

Mellor wrote: »
    Yeah. Bank statement showing regular payments and say ATM withdrawls in the area is acceptable proof.

Contact details for a supervisor.

Will there be a part when doing online to fill in contact details?

Yeah.
    To show the evidence of regional work you fill out form 1263. it's really straight forward.

Bump again, what do I put down for the type of work for the farming? It was voluntary. Do I say WWOOFing?
    Is that acceptable?

Question for a friend, he done tractor driving for his regional, was spreading lime, harrowing/cultivating paddocks.
    What does that come under and can he write down them jobs in the type of work box on the 1263 form?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭markontap

Question for a friend, he done tractor driving for his regional, was spreading lime, harrowing/cultivating paddocks.
    What does that come under and can he right down them jobs in the type of work box on the 1263 form?

I did similar and put down "farmhand". No problems.

markontap wrote: »
    What does that come under and can he right down them jobs in the type of work box on the 1263 form?

I did similar and put down "farmhand". No problems.

I meant to say, it was for seeding he was on the farm for, another guy was seeding away and my friend was working ahead of the seeder getting the lime spread and paddocks harrowed.
    I'll tell him farmhand is what he puts down.

I did WWOOFING, will I put that down on my 1263 form?
    Or do I put voluntary?

Advertisement