Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Force a Referendum on the Property Tax

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Sudsy86 wrote: »

It's not surprising given the ridiculous campaigns being run about it. You'd think the country had even slightly balanced books and they were looking for 10 grand off people.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,561 ✭✭✭✭kippy

meglome wrote: »
    It's not surprising given the ridiculous campaigns being run about it. You'd think the country had even slightly balanced books and they were looking for 10 grand off people.
    To balance the books, the state needs "get" another 3+k per person (men, women and children) via cuts or taxation.
    Thats just to balance the books. To repay or debt -well thats where it gets ridiculous.

I should add, they can knock another 4 kpa off my wages in taxation and I'd probably accept that.
    At least it was all done and dusted, and I'd know where I stood.
    Obviously thats not feasible across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

JustinDee wrote: »
    The "home" isn't being taxed. The land it sits upon is. Thats why it is called a 'Property Tax'.
    A Land Value Tax is one possible form of Property Tax, there is no guarantee we will get this, although it is the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

kippy wrote: »
    To balance the books, the state needs "get" another 3+k per person (men, women and children) via cuts or taxation.
    Thats just to balance the books. To repay or debt -well thats where it gets ridiculous.

Which is why it doesn't generally happen. Public debt is rolled over (replaced with fresh debt) rather than paid off.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Which is why it doesn't generally happen. Public debt is rolled over (replaced with fresh debt) rather than paid off.

cordially,
    Scofflaw
    The 3K+ per person was in relation to just closing the deficit, but I realise you understand that.
    Rolling over debt - yeah, that is indeed what happens, but the more debt you have and the more you roll over, the more the interest charges are, is that no the case? Indeed, the more you roll over, and the more interest you pay, the less likely you are to be able to take on more debt. At some point the capital is going to have to be repaid (to some extent)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Countries inflate or grow their way out of debt, rather than repay it. Even during the boom we had our debt wasn't paid down. It shrank as a % of GDP but not in real terms.

srsly78 wrote: »
    Countries inflate or grow their way out of debt, rather than repay it. Even during the boom we had our debt wasn't paid down. It shrank as a % of GDP but not in real terms.

Is't that okay so long as an economy is growing? And don't some countries end up in so much debt, it is inpossible to grow their way out of it?

Sorry, this is going way OT. I've said what I wanted to say on this thread.
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Yes countries can get away with stuff like this usually. Sometimes it goes tits up tho :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Social housing is also someone else house. It belongs to the local authority and ultimately the tax payer until the tenant decides to buy.

Why are local authority tenants exempt from paying the household tax¿

I watch TV, I pay a television licence. I live somewhere and avail of local services then I should pay for them. The services are provided by the council, they should be paid for by the residents of that county.

If the government changed the charge so that it wasn't on the property owner, if they made it a local income surcharge payable by all residents of the county at a flat rate of €50 (assuming that the average household is 2 person) would you object to it?

No, as it appears to be a fairer system.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

No, as it appears to be a fairer system.
    So my friend who lives with his wife and three young children in a small terraced house would pay five times as much as a millionaire living alone in a mansion on several acres?

"Fair" is a pretty subjective concept.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    So my friend who lives with his wife and three young children in a small terraced house would pay five times as much as a millionaire living alone in a mansion on several acres?

"Fair" is a pretty subjective concept.

A family of five can be expected to utilise more services than one person.

And FYI Fergus O'Dowd has just said that the household tax is unfair.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

A family of five can be expected to utilise more services than one person.
    So you'd consider the situation I described to be fair?

Wow.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    So you'd consider the situation I described to be fair?

Wow.

Thats life.

If we accept the party line that this is to pay for the provision of "community services", yes.

Any unfairness can be addressed by a wealth tax for millionaires in our midst.

Its not rocket science.

Imagine the dressing down that nice Fergus is going to get from Dr. Phil and his advisors for admitting that the household charge is unfair!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

If we accept the party line that this is to pay for the provision of "community services", yes.
    All tax revenue goes into a central exchequer, from which all local authority funding is drawn. Ergo, any tax funds community services.
    Any unfairness can be addressed by a wealth tax for millionaires in our midst.
    That's not fair.

djpbarry wrote: »
    All tax revenue goes into a central exchequer, from which all local authority funding is drawn. Ergo, any tax funds community services.
    That's not fair.

Whats your point?

Should or should not an 8 person family have to make a greater contribution towards the provision of local services than a 1 person family?

Or, put differently, in the future, should a single occupancy home be charged for the same flat water rate usage as an 8 person family?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

All tenants are exempt, not just local authority tenants. Its the property owners who are liable for the charge. The local authorities, as property owners, are exempt because the charge is being handed back to the local authorities to make up for shortfalls dues to cutbacks in funding from central Government. What would be the point of giving with one hand and taking away with the other ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Then people in receipt of social welfare shouldn't have to pay car tax, VAT, duty etc on goods and services. After all what would be the point of giving with one hand and taking away with the other?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Duiske wrote: »

All tenants are exempt, not just local authority tenants. Its the property owners who are liable for the charge. The local authorities, as property owners, are exempt because the charge is being handed back to the local authorities to make up for shortfalls dues to cutbacks in funding from central Government. What would be the point of giving with one hand and taking away with the other ?
    That's the "ministerial houses" thing everyone was moaning about. Since the minister technically owns the social housing he would be liable for the household charge on them. So they exempted him from paying for those (but he still must pay for his personal property)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Seeing as the governement are going to force deduction-at-source, why can we not as people force a referendum on the issue?

I propose the following to be campaigned for inclusion in the constitution -

"The family home, that is the primary residence of the family, shall be free from property taxes or rates"

Anyone with me?

brilliant idea. the country has no money and we should spend millions on a referendum.
    people are bitching here that the country is banjaxed and their kids have to go abroad yet are not willing to make a contribution to make things better.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I'm still in no way clear why or what a referendum on this issue would say, let alone how it would arise. Cloud cuckoo land as to how this remains open?!

I dont particularily believe there should be a referendum on it (that is a tad pointless).
    However there have been decisions taken on the past five years that have had far more outreaching consequences for every man woman and child in this country than a lot of the referendum votes we have had in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Wibbs wrote: »
    Then people in receipt of social welfare shouldn't have to pay car tax, VAT, duty etc on goods and services. After all what would be the point of giving with one hand and taking away with the other?

Are you suggesting that social welfare rates should be cut so that nobody on social welfare can afford a car, nobody on social welfare can afford luxury goods (large TVs, ipods etc.) that attract the higher rate of VAT (and have to buy second-hand clothes) nobody on social welfare should be able to buy their own house and finally that they shouldn't be allowed buy cigarettes and alcohol?

If you are not suggesting that the welfare rates should be cut, why shouldn't they pay taxes on those things like everyone else? I know people on my road who work for a living who have a lower standard of living than others on my road who are on social welfare.

Godge wrote: »
    Are you suggesting that social welfare rates should be cut so that nobody on social welfare can afford a car, nobody on social welfare can afford luxury goods (large TVs, ipods etc.) that attract the higher rate of VAT (and have to buy second-hand clothes) nobody on social welfare should be able to buy their own house and finally that they shouldn't be allowed buy cigarettes and alcohol?

If you are not suggesting that the welfare rates should be cut, why shouldn't they pay taxes on those things like everyone else? I know people on my road who work for a living who have a lower standard of living than others on my road who are on social welfare.

Nope, he was just expanding on some logic used by another poster to explain where tenants of local authorities (or people getting their rent paid by local authorities)

To be fair, theres a lot of this "giving with one had and taking with another", or making payments that would more easily be made in a different manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Should or should not an 8 person family have to make a greater contribution towards the provision of local services than a 1 person family?
    Maybe, but eight times more? I don't think so.

It's not really the best comparison though, as an eight-person family will generally reside in a larger property than an individual living on their own.
    Or, put differently, in the future, should a single occupancy home be charged for the same flat water rate usage as an 8 person family?
    Water should be charged for as used.

Godge wrote: »

So do I.
    I made the point that those who didnt purchase their own houses have landed on their feet.

We still dont know why a sizeable swathe of local service and amenity users are exempt!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

was thinking about why so many people are protesting, and a thought struck me, protesting outside the dail makes no difference, writing letters / emails makes no difference facebook page come on. so how do you embarass a gov. this may be small but hell it has them worried (even if 90% of people will have paid in 6 months time

just a thought

• Registered Users Posts: 26 johnory1

Seeing as the governement are going to force deduction-at-source, why can we not as people force a referendum on the issue?

I propose the following to be campaigned for inclusion in the constitution -

"The family home, that is the primary residence of the family, shall be free from property taxes or rates"

Anyone with me?
    i agree with you totally, i would also like to that we maybe the only country in the western world not to have property tax , but then again we were probably the only country in the western world to also have a decent economy for the last 20years, property taxes take to much money directly out of the economy, its basic econmics, i lived in the states for a while and i'll you this much property tax cripple peoples spending power, and if it is brought in, i can see things getting alot worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 johnory1

our vat rate is 23% in florida its 6% in new jersey theres no vat on clothes. when you pay your pp it includes your bin collection,
    our system of stamp duty is fair, because when you buy your house you can afford to pay the tax , unlike now, when you never know where you will stand, in america i have seen old people who's house has been fully paid for taken away from them becuase they couldn't afford property tax, and for this, i hate property tax

Advertisement