Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthy and Cheap dinner to lunch ideas?

Options
  • 20-03-2012 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

I am trying to cut down my food budget, mainly by doing one shop on a Sunday for the week and preparing lunches in advance, but I am running out of ideas.
    I would appreciate some suggestions about meals that make good lunch left overs.
    I don't really mind cooking a dinner and separate lunch at the same time either, but am a bit stuck for space. I only have a small fridge and no freezer, so I can only cook something enough for maybe two days.

So far lunches usually consist of shepard's pie, chilli, curry & rice or pasta bake. The OH is not really a fan of pasta, I am not a fan of salad, and neither of us like sandwiches so we are a bit limited!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Fajitas can be good dinner to lunch items, just pack the filling separatly to the tortillas and make up at work, alternatively chilli can work great in a tortilla as a type of burrito or in a pitta bread. I also used to put leftover curry into pittas/tortillas. I found I could fool myself into thinking I was eating something different and not leftovers. Especially if you add some lettuce or fresh tomato. Though I'm the same as yourself and have no interest in salad. It just doesn't satisfy me.

Risotto or paella/ spicy rice dishes reheat well too and are very cheap, a bit of meat, rice and veggies and some flavourings and you have a good healthy meal.

I also make filling soups with veggies and beans one of my favourites is chorizo and butterbeans. Just add what ever veggies you have, tinned tomatoes and herbs. It can work great with some garlic bread for dinner and is yum.

Couscous is another good lunch idea a bowl of it will keep fresh in the fridge for a few days so you could have it as a side with dinner and then for lunch too.

Quiche is good to use up leftover veg and cheese or if you don't have pastry a make a Spanish tortilla.

Also a roast chicken is the best frugal food you can make. Yummy Sunday roast, throw the leftover chicken into a pie or risotto etc and make chicken noodle soup or something similar with the carcass.

Best of look.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Try the forum search function. There have been several similar threads with plenty of good advice offered.

tHB

Advertisement