Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Patrick's Day in Galway - was it as bad as was feared?

Options
  • 20-03-2012 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭

I went into town at about 9 pm on St Patrick's day and I have to say I was underwhelmed with the amount of drunkenness I saw. Going from the last thread I was expecting scenes from the apocalypse.

It looked like any other Saturday night to me, the only difference is that people were drunk a few hours earlier. Didn't see anything I would describe as out of the ordinary except seeing people asked for ID at the bar (usually at the door and leave the bar staff alone). The people I saw that were in the worst state weren't Irish.

So, now that we've had a day or two to get over the terror that was building up or hangovers as the case may be please post your thoughts and experiences.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

Definitely the tidiest Paddys day I've seen. We hit the bottle fairly hard from 3pm onwards but still had our wits about us at 3pm leaving the Front Door. Couldn't say the same for previous years!

Spanish Arch seemed to have a constant Garda presence there so that was clear - There were a few street performers taking up a good amount of space in shop street so it was actually less congested with drunken peoples ! The rain and match helped!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

-Vega- wrote: »
    Definitely the tidiest Paddys day I've seen. We hit the bottle fairly hard from 3pm onwards but still had our wits about us at 3pm leaving the Front Door. Couldn't say the same for previous years!
    !

TWENTY FOUR HOURS SOLID DRINKING?

Well done -Vega-

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Paddyfield wrote: »

Well done -Vega-
    I'd interpret it as he started drinking as soon as he left the Front Door ;).

I was in town for the parade and came back in later and both times I thought people seemed quite well behaved in general. Certainly later on in the night it was no different to a standard weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Mr justMary says it was the tamest he's ever seen.

I think the rain helped a lot.

There were less MOTC in the parade crowd than I'm used to - unkind people have said this was due to the earlier start time.

Nevertheless, Eyre Square Centre had a lot of their security guys working, including one (at least) one door.

We caught the bus from Spanish Arch in the evening. Saw some very drunk people pour out of taxis .. and the guards keeping a sharp eye on where they want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I thought it was messy enough. Fist fights and pissing in shop door ways was going on in Shop Street at 8pm rather than the more usual 3 am!

I also witnessed bouncers in a few pubs having aggro with young lads "bringing their own beer", and while I was trying to enter Monroes (at about 8:30), 2 fellas were booted out under heavy protest! :pac:

I'd hate to be a cop / bouncer on a day like that, no money would be enough!

• Advertisement

Windows in the Bank of Ireland in the Mervue Industrial Estate, Ulster Bank Ballybrit and Ulster Bank Tuam Road were smashed in over the weekend.

Did anyone notice any others?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Thought it was very quiet myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Saw one lad lifted from the Salthouse absolutely off his face, drink or drugs, who knows. But the lads sat him across the road on the low wall and the Gardai came along, tried talking to him, and then just walked off when they finally got him to his feet, he then attempted getting into at least four parked cars(thinking they were taxis i reckon) before almost being knocked by a taxi which he lurched out in front of, next he arrived back into the Salthouse before again stumbling out onto the street, i imagine hes dead somewhere now :rolleyes:. In my opinion the Gardai should have lifted him or at least put him in a taxi as he was a danger to himself and others.

Apart from that i didnt see an ounce of trouble.

JustMary wrote: »
    There were less MOTC in the parade crowd than I'm used to
    Who or what is MOTC? None of the acronyms here seems right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Malice wrote: »

closest I can think of is a bad translation of the Irish for off yer head drunk - ar meisce as do céann (the do often sounds like a te)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

Paddyfield wrote: »

Well done -Vega-

WOOPS ! 3pm-3am :D Maybe I haven't recovered as well as I had thought! Getting old :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There were less MOTC in the parade crowd than I'm used to

Members of the Traveller community.

Tis the only non derogatory label i know

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Loads of broken glass around. Obviously done to damage any slithering snakes lest they return.

antoobrien wrote: »
    ar meisce as do céann
    The word for head doesn't need a fada. Unless this is some dodgy East Galway dialect? :p
    Members of the Traveller community.

Tis the only non derogatory label i know
    Is "Traveller" itself not allowed any more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

snubbleste wrote: »
    Loads of broken glass around. Obviously done to damage any slithering snakes lest they return.

We have a snake-free legacy to maintain. Teenagers are especially savvy when it comes to snake repelling tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

That whole snake thing has always annoyed me, I mean who's responsible for the lack of polar bears in Jamaica?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Eman Resu wrote: »
    That whole snake thing has always annoyed me, I mean who's responsible for the lack of polar bears in Jamaica?
    The white man.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

The word for head doesn't need a fada. Unless this is some dodgy East Galway dialect? :p

Christ mal you know what my spelling is like, besides everything sounds dodgy when you're from bjearna.

Advertisement