Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to change teat size?

Options
  • 20-03-2012 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭

Have been using the Avent 4oz bottles which come with the pump to give A a bottle of expressed milk at night, they come with a stage one teat size. I want to move her to the 9oz bottle as she now needs 5oz and the teat size which came with the 9oz bottle is stage 2. She's 5 weeks old today. I'm wondering should I use the new larger teat size or stay with size one? I don't usually give her the bottle - it's my OH that does, but I did once last week and didn't notice her sucking too hard or struggling with size one. It took her about 15 mins to drink 4&1/2 oz from it.
    All advice welcome as I'm clueless about bottles!
    Oh and if it makes a difference it's just breast milk she gets from the bottle, might be less viscous than formula?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

You could always just buy a couple of 2 teats and see how she gets on? I can't remember when I changed. But you'll need 2 teats at some stage (unless you plan piercing the 1's yourself) so there's no harm trying them out, if she struggles, change back to the 1? (does that make any sense? lol):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

You could always just buy a couple of 2 teats and see how she gets on? I can't remember when I changed. But you'll need 2 teats at some stage (unless you plan piercing the 1's yourself) so there's no harm trying them out, if she struggles, change back to the 1? (does that make any sense? lol):D

Hahaha yes it does!! I've no notion of piercing them myself! But how doin tell if she is struggling with the size 2? Sorry it's prob a stupid qn! Is it if it's overflowing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

dublinlady wrote: »
    Hahaha yes it does!! I've no notion of piercing them myself! But how doin tell if she is struggling with the size 2? Sorry it's prob a stupid qn! Is it if it's overflowing?

She'll cough and splutter the contents all over you and make a sound like she's drowning :D

I've never pierced them myself either, but I know some do to safe buying bigger ones. But I'd be thinking, what if they weren't ready, you've just ruined a load of perfectly good teat and can't go back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I changed the teats too with my little girl as it was taking he so long to drink 1oz of formula, but it was a disaster, her mouth filled up too early and she had too much in her mouth to swallow. A few weeks later she was ready. Try the size 2 on the next bottle. If there is life left in the size 1, keep them for when she wants to hold her own bottle or when you are weening her off the bottle. This is more so with bottle fed rather than bf babies though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Coughing, spluttering and drowning! Right! Should be easy enough to spot then!!! :) lol

Why would you go back to size one when they holding their own bottle? Excuse my ignorance! As I said - clueless!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 henlee

Hi,

I left my baby on No 1 teats until a few weeks after I had finished breast feeding completely. He was 12 weeks when i moved him on. I think because they have to suck harder from you the No. 2 might be too much while you're still breast feeding. It's hard to know though. I'm sure if you try the No. 2 you will know if your baby is not able for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

dublinlady wrote: »
    Coughing, spluttering and drowning! Right! Should be easy enough to spot then!!! :) lol

Why would you go back to size one when they holding their own bottle? Excuse my ignorance! As I said - clueless!!!

my first was bottlefed so when she was able to hold her own i let her drink her own with the smaller teat in case she choked, just until she got used to: up = go / down = stop/no food!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Hi, I changed to the size 2 teat when I realised she was sucking on the bottle for ages, yet the volume was going down very little. She'd sometimes fall asleep on the job, worn out from all the sucking:(. She's almost 10 weeks now, and this would have been a good few weeks ago now..

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

I think they will take a little bit of time to adjust to the next teat size up so give it a chance. Although, really you'll know if they need to move up as they will be falling asleep during the bottle with the effort....

Just on the piercing - that used to be done all the time when the rubber teats were used, but most of the teats nowadays are silicone and it is dangerous to pierce these as the silicone can break and might be a choking hazard for baby.

Advertisement