Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

`renting land, with maps and futre SFP

• 20-03-2012 10:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭

hi all, this is a total new area to me.

I have been offered 31.5 acres for renting along with the maps and im been offered 50% of the sfp off this 31.5 acres (approx 50% of €1150 or so). So if i get the maps, and i rent this land for the next 3 years will i,"if" things go the way they say, will i be entitled to an entitlement in 2015? and if so will it be on the 31.5 acres that are not mine or the 12 acres i own which has zero entitlements currently

Bare in mind before ll go off on "your entitled to nohing" and nothing is decided stories

I am getting zero, SFP, be it suckler, area aid, entitlements or disadvanted. No reps or aesos. ZERO.

But i would like to be able to get something to even it up with the competition.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

hi all, this is a total new area to me.

I have been offered 31.5 acres for renting along with the maps and im been offered 50% of the sfp off this 31.5 acres (approx 50% of €1150 or so). So if i get the maps, and i rent this land for the next 3 years will i,"if" things go the way they say, will i be entitled to an entitlement in 2015? and if so will it be on the 31.5 acres that are not mine or the 12 acres i own which has zero entitlements currently

Bare in mind before ll go off on "your entitled to nohing" and nothing is decided stories

I am getting zero, SFP, be it suckler, area aid, entitlements or disadvanted. No reps or aesos. ZERO.

But i would like to be able to get something to even it up with the competition.

Keep getting zero and you will be well ahead of the competition when the time comes, getting zero in my eyes is a great bonus as you can tell authority to piss off. I like you get zero for most of my land but one parcel I had to lease with bloody entitlement which are passed back to the owner. doing so brings me under the radar of the dept of Ag with inspections etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

I never really looked on the idea like that. So far the land i rented had no entitlements so no worries.

I have pushed myself to get the health and safety sorted after the previous owners. I spread slurry inside the time and paper work and Herd tests are kept up to date.

I forgot to mention, OH and i are both 28 years old or under and no green cert, but we go have different degrees and have been thinking of applying for online course
    Keep getting zero and you will be well ahead of the competition when the time comes, getting zero in my eyes is a great bonus as you can tell authority to piss off. I like you get zero for most of my land but one parcel I had to lease with bloody entitlement which are passed back to the owner. doing so brings me under the radar of the dept of Ag with inspections etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I never really looked on the idea like that. So far the land i rented had no entitlements so no worries.

I have pushed myself to get the health and safety sorted after the previous owners. I spread slurry inside the time and paper work and Herd tests are kept up to date.

I forgot to mention, OH and i are both 28 years old or under and no green cert, but we go have different degrees and have been thinking of applying for online course

A course isn't going to make too much difference to you unless you buy land. I spent a lot of money and time doing my course and it wasn't worth diddly to me, despite the fact that the course organisers lured me in by telling me how I would get extra grants and how I would be entitled to Installation aid. But that's a different story.

What about buying entitlements for the land that you already have? It might be an easier option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Reilig i was thinking of buying entitlements for the few acres i own alright. but are the entitlements going to be worth anything come 2015?
    reilig wrote: »
    What about buying entitlements for the land that you already have? It might be an easier option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Ironic - I was only thinking about this over the weekend...

My situation is I have a very small SFP. I have put a good bit of money into the farm, fencing, reclaiming, reseeding...
    But... I fear I would have been better off just buying entitlements, and not doing anything to actually improve the place, is increase production - which annoys me somewhat... :mad: :(

Reading the journal last week, I think it said it would still be tied to the current SFP - with max decrease & increase would be 30%... :confused:

So I am seriously debating stopping spending any money on the farm now, and just buying entitlements instead... :(

Thoughts? Am I wrong? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

No one really knows.

Coveney's "promise" to not let anyone gain or lose too much is a grand idea, but he might not be let implement it.

I'm also not sure about bob's suggestion of not giving them a stick to beat you with. is there not some clause that if you're not in receipt of SFP then you can simply be fined? I'd imagine if that's your thinking then maybe the best approach is to have a tiny SFP, they can still deduct their standard percentages from that if you're being a bold boy.

I think you'll be better to have the entitlements, than not have them. it may or may not be in your favour come 2014/15/16/whenever they agree it, but I dont think it will do you any harm.

@john Dunno. On one hand your farming operation should be gaining from the work your doing, but on the other hand if you buy the entitlements they should pay a longer term didvidend that you could then invest in the farm.

maybe the answer is 50/50 invest in facilities and entitlements.

As we dont have enough entitlements to cover our hectares I'm thinking of buying some ourselves this year. I figure some low value ones should still pay for themselves under the current scheme. That said I havent contacted anyone about buying some so dont know how the figures will stack up for this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Ironic - I was only thinking about this over the weekend...

My situation is I have a very small SFP. I have put a good bit of money into the farm, fencing, reclaiming, reseeding...
    But... I fear I would have been better off just buying entitlements, and not doing anything to actually improve the place, is increase production - which annoys me somewhat... :mad: :(

Reading the journal last week, I think it said it would still be tied to the current SFP - with max decrease & increase would be 30%... :confused:

So I am seriously debating stopping spending any money on the farm now, and just buying entitlements instead... :(

Thoughts? Am I wrong? :confused:
    There are no decisions made yet. All we have heard are proposals but they give a strond indication of the final outcome.
    The most likely decision now is a roll over of the current system for another year especially if another crisis erupts with spain/portugal/ireland/italy/hungary/greece etc.
    And our negotiators are currently pressing for a gradual reduction in the value of entitlements rather than a big bang reduction which would help to maintain the value of entitlements bought or owned.

If you can get entitlements for less than twice their values i reckon they will pay for themselves and leave a 50% return by 2014, if you have all the other requirements satisfied. And an ongoing return for 6-7 years after that;)

Advertisement