Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compost heap around tree stump ?

Options
  • 20-03-2012 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for views on whether the below was a good or bad move please. I'm willing to move the compost heap and possibly dig up/destroy the stump if the view is that it was a bad location to pick.

Last year I took down a tree (forgotten the name, but here's a picture of the type - http://www.geograph.ie/photo/1121229) but was unable to dig out the stump or roots at the time for a variety of reasons.

I was looking for somewhere to establish a new compost heap and thought it might make sense to position it on top of the stump - with a view to stopping the thing re-growing as much as it being a good place for the heap. The container is one of those plastic units with a sliding panel at the bottom for access.

A year on and I'm not so sure that it was a good move. The bottom of the heap is hard to dig out (what with a stump in the middle of it) and the contents are quite wet and squishy. I can certainly adjust the mix going in, but I'm wondering if the presence of the tree would impact the operation of the heap no matter what I do, or whether it's not likely to have any impact.

So, heap on top of a tree stump - problem in general terms or no problem ?

z

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are you getting many worms up into the compost?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I'm not near it at the moment, but I think there's worms there. There's also a lot of flies.

z

Advertisement