Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

QUESTION ON CHICKENPOX

Options
  • 20-03-2012 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Just a bit of advice if anyone know - My 2 year old was in contact (for about 3 hours) of a child that has chicken pox but they are crusted over. But this girls sister was there and had a runny nose and was crabby - my question is would any of ye know the girl with the c. pox is probably not contagious at this stage but the other girl if she gets it is she contagious before they come out (as im sure she'll get it) and if my lil one is to get them how long will it take for me to know?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I think the gestation period is about a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

The short answer is Yes, Chicken Pox is contagious, usually a couple of days before the first appearance of the rash when the child is starting to feel sick and crabby . .

It's certainly possible that the sister was in the contagious stage of CP when your 2 yr old was in contact . .

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

I looked this up a while ago because like you I exposed my daughter to them. The incubation period is one week but can be up to 3 though this is rarer. The child is contagious from 2 days before they appear until the last blister crusts over. Although my daughter was sitting in a thing of plastic balls with the little girl who had them she never got them. So ya just never know. Also it said they start in warm places like behind the ears and on the torso. So start keeping an eye there in a week to ten days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

14 days almost to the hour from my son saying 'mommy my tummy is itchy' to my daughter saying 'mommy my tummy is itchy'
    then 6 days to baby showing spots too.
    my son was sitting beside a girl in class who got CP and he got moved from her on the thursday, she went out with cP on monday and he and the lad who replaced him got CP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I was told the incubation period is up to 20 days. My son has come into contact with it twice in the last 5 months and thankfully didn't catch it either time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I was told the incubation period is up to 20 days. My son has come into contact with it twice in the last 5 months and thankfully didn't catch it either time.

I thought it was better for kids to catch it younger?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

Yes it can be up to 20 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

chatterpillar you're right. It's better if they catch it when they're younger but the first time I'd just returned to work after maternity leave and the other time we were going abroad on holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I remember when I got chickenpox I had been playing with my cousins 9 days before. At the time they were contagious but symptomless and my mother was on the look out for chicken pox on us once she heard my cousins had broken out.

I also remember that after I told her I was itchy and she'd checked and found patches of it on the older of my little brothers we were all on tenterhooks waiting for my baby brother to wake up and see if he had them too. My mother was delighted to find that he had because she really wanted us all to get it over and done with in the same week. Luckily none of us were sick with it, just itchy. I remember it as a great week, being off school and doing crafts together most days and getting lots of praise for not scratching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I was waiting years for my two to get chickenpox :rolleyes: Finally my son got them, aged 6, he got it pretty bad and still has a few scars a year on. Exactly two weeks later my daughter got them. I was more worried about her given she was 2 years older but she wasn't too bad at all. Then a couple of days later my husband got them :eek: he was really sick :( think he had a full week off work and wasn't really right for another week after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

littlebug wrote: »
    I was waiting years for my two to get chickenpox :rolleyes: Finally my son got them, aged 6, he got it pretty bad and still has a few scars a year on. Exactly two weeks later my daughter got them. I was more worried about her given she was 2 years older but she wasn't too bad at all. Then a couple of days later my husband got them :eek: he was really sick :( think he had a full week off work and wasn't really right for another week after that.

I think my daughter has them we where in doctors again this week as she has throat infection as well and she has spots/ blisters around her mouth! Got to wait and see does it spread otherwise it's hand foot and mouth :-( think I'd prefer chicken pox

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

has anyone gotten the vaccine for chicken pox. I would like to but my gp doesn't do it. I'm otherwise happy with this GP so wondering if I can go to another one just for the jabs (I believe there are 2 about 3 months apart)?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

My daughter just had them but we are waiting to see if her brother (who is 2 on Monday) gets them, am at the end of my maternity leave and was getting her used to the cheche when she got them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

has anyone gotten the vaccine for chicken pox. I would like to but my gp doesn't do it. I'm otherwise happy with this GP so wondering if I can go to another one just for the jabs (I believe there are 2 about 3 months apart)?

I never got chicken pox so I had to get the vaccine when I went to work with kids. I got it through my college health service, probably not much help to you though :o I doubt there'd be a problem getting them off another GP. I'd say just ring around the practices and ask, alternatively ask your local pharmacist where you can get the jabs?

eta: Might be worthwhlie loking into dedicated vaccination centres, this place seems to do them: http://www.travelhealth.ie/Prices/ and golden pages provides more http://www.goldenpages.ie/travel-vaccinations/

Advertisement