Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Giants Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

If McAdoo is to blame with his play calling then he's a stubborn ****... Sullivan dialed up some lovely plays last night and looked calm at all times when they showed him on the sidelines.. Now I'll get carried away and say it's hard to know if we'd still be 1-5 if Sullivan was directing that Offense from week 1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Bring on the draft

That was very frustrating viewing. Plenty of plays there to be made but we didn't time and time again

He is not the reason why we list by we couldn't afford that miss by Rosas

Unlucky for Collins on the second TD

I'll keep watching every week but jaysus its so frustrating.. They can't do anything right and the FG miss destroyed all momentum for a win

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭wawaman

It was incredible that we were leading at half time. The defence played lights out in the first half but the offense couldnt muster anything at all. And we never did really. At least we wont lose next week

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Such a wasted season, the only real positive at this point is Evan Engram looks to be a stud in the making. The injuries at WR are a real blessing to him.

Really need to fix the O-Line and running game this offseason. That should be all the draft is about. We will have next to no money to spend in FA so its all about the draft. I wouldnt say no to investing in a stud RB in the top 10 (thinking Saquon Barkley)

• Advertisement

We really need to activate Webb for games from now on

Smith will not be part of our future

I don't think we bench Eli from being the starter but particularly when we fall behind twoards the end of games, give Webb a chance

Only way we can evaluate him is by playing. Otherwise we won't know what we have with him and esp as we will prob be in a position to draft a QB with a high pick this year

I'll qualify this by saying i know it wont happen and i dont know much about the QB's in this years draft. But playing devils advocate would you trade Eli to a QB needy team (ie Miami), play Webb for the remainder to see what he is made of? If he has something - great, if not draft a QB with a top 5 pick.

wawaman wrote: »
    I'll qualify this by saying i know it wont happen and i dont know much about the QB's in this years draft. But playing devils advocate would you trade Eli to a QB needy team (ie Miami), play Webb for the remainder to see what he is made of? If he has something - great, if not draft a QB with a top 5 pick.

In a heartbeat (there was a rumour around Jacksonville with the TC connection), but it won't happen.

Eli has a no trade clause which complicates things as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭boccy23

wawaman wrote: »

I really cannot see the sense in that. If we are to see what Webb has, surely playing behind one of the worst OLines in the NFL, with no running game and no wide receivers is not the best basis for an organisational decision of this gravitas.

Webb was never drafted to be the QB this year and probably even next year. he was seen as making the decision after Eli's contract runs out a competition.

We have a really poor team, a really poor offense and I just think we have to suck it up and suffer the year.

I do think that Jerry Reese has to be under severe examination for leaving the OLine as it was coming out of the draft. He signed Fluker and we left him on the bench until the situation became so bad in week 3 that we had to do something. They have zero balls in not doing something about Erik Flowers situation.

I am really afraid that at the end of the season management will let Reese and McAdoo slide on the injured players front. Every team suffers injuries and this is not a reason to play so badly.

If they do the right thing and give Reese his P45, then McAdoo should get his as well and let a new GM choose his Head Coach.

• Advertisement

Yes it is certainly not ideal scenario for Webb to succeed

As youy say laying behind one of the worst OLines in the NFL, with no running game and no wide receivers is not the best basis for an organisational decision of this gravitas.

However we are in the running for picking a 'top' QB in the draft next year

Something that makes or breaks franchises

We got it right with Eli.

Webb cost a third round pick so we need to see something from him this year. Even though we are crap at 3rd round picking that is a big pick to give up on in just a year

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Yes it is certainly not ideal scenario for Webb to succeed

As youy say laying behind one of the worst OLines in the NFL, with no running game and no wide receivers is not the best basis for an organisational decision of this gravitas.

However we are in the running for picking a 'top' QB in the draft next year

Something that makes or breaks franchises

We got it right with Eli.

Webb cost a third round pick so we need to see something from him this year. Even though we are crap at 3rd round picking that is a big pick to give up on in just a year

But why do we need to get a QB?

Webb was always a long term project. I can't see him replacing Eli in the short term.

Why not trade out of it and look at upgrading all the other areas where we need help - OL / LB / FS / DE

I suppose we do need to look at all options

However if there is a better QB sitting there than Webb I think there will be a serious conversation about drafting him

I like the idea of not trade out of it and look at upgrading all the other areas where we need help - OL / LB / FS / DE however Jerry Reach has never made a trade in the first round in his 10 years as GM

Did ye see his pres conference last night?

Comical Ali would have done a better job than him

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    I suppose we do need to look at all options

However if there is a better QB sitting there than Webb I think there will be a serious conversation about drafting him

I like the idea of not trade out of it and look at upgrading all the other areas where we need help - OL / LB / FS / DE however Jerry Reach has never made a trade in the first round in his 10 years as GM

Did ye see his pres conference last night?

Comical Ali would have done a better job than him

All we needed was more "passion"? A better O-line would have helped as well Jerry.

If Reese isn't sacked at the end of the season then I dunno what he has on the owners.. That press conference was absolute joke and an embarrassment

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I didn't think it was that bad tbh. He basically held everyone accountable and questioned the hunger of the players, the ability of the coaches for igniting that hunger, etc. Don't see much wrong with that.

We've do actually have a somewhat talented roster that should be a lot better off than 1-6.

He's not going to go up there and start lambasting the OL, the linebackers, etc and criticising himself for the depth chart in those positions, that would just be ridiculous, so I don't really know what people wanted him to say.

You're angry with him, which is fair enough, but its pretty much just waiting for him to say anything so that you can jump on it and go, "Ha! What an idiot!". He was screwed no matter what he said due to our current situation.

As for reshuffle, I want McAdoo gone as I just don't like his character. He doesn't strike me as a leader or as a person you can take seriously or warm to. Like even when OBJ went down injured, McAdoo didn't check on him once. Just stared at his playsheet. That was infuriating to me.

I've no doubt that he's a smart man who lives and breathes football, but that's not enough to make a head coach. You're probably better having your coordinates be the brain boxes when it comes to the x's and o's and have your head coach excel in organisation, discipline, psychology etc. The more we get to know McAdoo, the less confident I am that those are his strong suit.

All that said, I'd be somewhat expectant of McAdoo being head coach again next year, and Jerry Reese GM tbh. Eli is going to be the starting QB next year, providing he doesn't die behind that OL between now and then. I can see Mara deciding that there is no need to rush a wholesale rebuild right now as he has a young headcoach who made the playoffs in his first year. There's a chance that he could swing this around (even if I'm not necessarily in agreement). He definitely should learn massively from this year, at least.

Head coach remains then the GM will too. No point bringing in a new GM as 99% of the time a new GM means a new headcoach. Although Reese was promoted when Ernie retired and Coughlin as we know remained as HC. So there's history of it even in our own organisaiton, but that's with the GM retiring, not being fired. Being fired obviously means bad performance and that alone gives a new GM serious wedge when demanding his own head coach.

Couple that with Eli still having enough in the tank to still be a starter in this league, providing the pieces are around him, and knowing he has a two years left on his deal and a no trade clause, I think Giants stick with what they have, for the most part.

Eagles and Cowboys are set long term with their QBs, you could argue Redskins may be too with Cousins. Mara's perspective may well be that as Giants are going up against this for a long period of time, and they absolutely have to get their next QB decision, and head coach decision, right or be the whipping boys of the division for years to come, another years wait isn't a big deal in the long run. Allows them to be extra sure of what they have, even with watching Webb develop. Now, if they decide they absolutely love one of the QBs coming out this year, then this might change, but I'd be surprised.

I think we'll see Spagnolo take the fall this offseason, Reese, McAdoo and Eli given one year's notice, and the organisation will believe that they have enough there to make a playoff run next time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

Just a passing question guys but if you are on the clock next spring in the draft and Saquan Barkley is on the board, would ye take him if, say, there is still a highly talented QB on the board, or trade back and get picks, restructure o-line? I'm a colt and I reckon our positions on the board will be close.

letowski wrote: »
    Just a passing question guys but if you are on the clock next spring in the draft and Saquan Barkley is on the board, would ye take him if, say, there is still a highly talented QB on the board, or trade back and get picks, restructure o-line? I'm a colt and I reckon our positions on the board will be close.

100% I'd want to go with Barkley.

Flowers has actually been fine at LT this year, first game or two aside. Pugh is a stud and Richburg is good but unlucky with injuries this year and last.

Jerry has regressed at RG. Fluker came in against the Broncos and was excellent, but injured for Seahawks. Interested in seeing how he does for the rest of the year. We could have a serviceable RG on our hands.

RT is woeful - Bobby Hart. The Broncos game we played Pugh there, who's normally our LG, and Pugh was excellent. He's played both tackle spots before but Giants think he can be a Pro Bowl guard. I tend to agree.

If we can invest a high 2nd round in a RT, or even acquire something there in the offseason, then I'm all aboard the Barkley train. I know nothing of the OL in next year's draft as of yet though, nor the free agents tbh.

Edit: Just thinking, both Pugh and Richburg are FA this year. Add OBJ contract to the mix and its highly unlikely we'd be able to sign any FA of note.

Knex. wrote: »
    100% I'd want to go with Barkley.

Flowers has actually been fine at LT this year, first game or two aside. Pugh is a stud and Richburg is good but unlucky with injuries this year and last.

Jerry has regressed at RG. Fluker came in against the Broncos and was excellent, but injured for Seahawks. Interested in seeing how he does for the rest of the year. We could have a serviceable RG on our hands.

RT is woeful - Bobby Hart. The Broncos game we played Pugh there, who's normally our LG, and Pugh was excellent. He's played both tackle spots before but Giants think he can be a Pro Bowl guard. I tend to agree.

If we can invest a high 2nd round in a RT, or even acquire something there in the offseason, then I'm all aboard the Barkley train. I know nothing of the OL in next year's draft as of yet though, nor the free agents tbh.

Can't agree with that. They don't run the ball to the left anymore and Eli has had to adapt and get rid of the ball in under 2 seconds. Flowers is setting up so deep and so wide now, that he is telegraphing plays.

• Advertisement

Jackrabbit has been suspended for violating team rules (missed a meeting on Monday but informed no one). What a **** show, McAdoo has clearly lost all respect for the players. Get him out of there now.

He was late back from the byeweek and never reported until Tuesday morning, apparently.

We're an absolute **** show. Clear the house. McAdoo, Reese, Sullivan, Spags etc. If they're all here next year it won't be pretty. Players and fans alike are done with these.

McAdoo is not a proper leader, this much is abundantly clear.

I really hope Mara doesn't go with my prediction from the previous post, holding onto McAdoo and Reese and just letting Spags be the fall guy. We've fallen too far.

I never thought we would become the Jets

McAdoo has lost the locker room and the players are showing him no respect

Time to blow the whole thing up

Giving up a TD on 3rd and 33

FFS that's pathetic

I'm away this weekend so won't see a thing. Keeping an eye on the score on the app

McAdoo should be gone tomorrow. The team has given up on him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

I'm away this weekend so won't see a thing. Keeping an eye on the score on the app
    The score on the app will be painful enough to look at the way it's going

I think I could punt better than brad wing

Ohmeha wrote:
    The score on the app will be painful enough to look at the way it's going

It gives a notification for every score so the phone has been lighting up

• Advertisement

Advertisement