Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Giants Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭wawaman

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    So you don't change coach mid year as it's not the way the Giants do business yet we throw Eli under the bus

And for Geno Smith?

If it was Webb I could understand a bit more

Exactly, if you are going to bench Eli, then I would have hoped it would be to look at a possible successor. But oh no the bungle brothers outdo themselves once again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

Geno Smith is starting against the Raiders on Sunday

If that's it for Eli and the Giants, its some sh1tty way to end it! Just listening to Mike Francesa and he's going absolutely ballistic, he's taking a massive sh1t on the whole Giants organisation!

I feel sorry for Geno too, a guy trying to prove himself and he has to do it with an absolute ****show of a team. He was set up to fail with the Jets and now the same things happening at the Giants!

However it is nice to see the Giants redefine what a circus looks like in NY!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭wawaman

The more I think of it the more livid I am that McAdoo did Eli like this. It shouldn’t end like this..... not like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

wawaman wrote: »
    The more I think of it the more livid I am that McAdoo did Eli like this. It shouldn’t end like this..... not like this.

it's surly coming from above McAdoo though, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Lads, im so pi**ed off over this.. His giants career shouldn't end like this

Its tough to say if it will be or not. We can save $10 million against the cap by cutting him this offseason but if we draft a rookie QB early I would imagine they would want to keep Eli to ensure there is no pressure. We could then cut him the following year & save $17 million.

I love Eli, he won us 2 Superbowls & went through a period of ridiculous 4th quarter wins but being objective he has been nothing more than average for at least 3 years now.

• Advertisement

phatkev wrote: »
    it's surly coming from above McAdoo though, right?

Yea, Reese and even those above him (& probably Eli) would all have to have agreed to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

That clown is surely getting fired at the end of the season, right? Why in the name of Christ are the front office allowIng him to bench Eli, who has been nowhere near the problem then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

https://omny.fm/shows/mike-francesa/mike-francesa-destroys-ben-mcadoo

Well worth a listen

I fear that we will keep Jerry Reach and McAdont as throwing Eli under the bus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Eli honestly has been fine, all things considered. Geno Smith starting is a joke.

Webb would die if you start him. Beathard style. I understand wanting to see him before the draft next year where you potentially draft Eli's successor, but if Eli can't do it, then its hardly a fair litmus test for Webb. Look at the receiving core, the OL, the running backs. Teams do not bite on our play action, and haven't for years and years, and most QBs cannot even hope to compete when that's the case.

Its just pointless, imo. ****ing Geno Smith, like. He won't be here next year. Don't do that to Eli. He's the most exemplary player I've seen in years of watching sports in how he acts on and off the field. Doesn't deserve this ****.

I've been so annoyed with McAdoo since his press conference prior to Week 1. This I'm finding infuriating, tbh.

https://twitter.com/davediehl66/status/935617267559272450

Diehl is actually employed by the Giants. Does part of the pregame show on the website and does game breakdowns etc. Surprised to see him comment like that as a result.

All the ex players are going nuts on twitter. Osi, O'Hara, Jacobs, Plaxico, David Carr and more.

https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/935638307807137792

I'm disgusted anyway.

• Advertisement

Carl Banks who also works for the Giants also did hius nut last night

Carl Banks’ passionate Manning defense: ‘He is the Giants’

https://nypost.com/2017/11/28/carl-banks-passionate-manning-defense-he-is-the-giants/

His twitter feed is a good read

Going to be very hard for the front office to sell this at their end of year pressers esp if they keep either Reach or McAdont

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I'd be pretty outraged, but I think it's the right decision. Totally the wrong timing and way to communicate it though. McAdoo is clearly weak on communication. I'd have thought Reese or Mara would help him get that bit right on such a big announcement.

The timing just doesn't make any sense to me.

McAdoo is surely done, and the season is long gone.

It would make a bit of sense if it was say a new head coach or front office deciding to go a new route in the offseason, but this is hard to understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Messy situation though, and they have handled it in just about the worst way possible.

From the organisation point of view, they need to find out if Webb is the guy. I can understand them not wanting to start him in Oakland, nor have him start 0-6 in his career (even though that's better for their draft). Where Eli and Geno are in that, it could even be that Eli might have talked Geno into the starter position instead of himself by saying that he didn't want to keep the streak going if he was going to the bench partway through the game.

At this point, I think the problem stops being McAdoo and you need to start looking up the line at who is actively facilitating his destruction of the organisation and reputation.

They're not even playing Webb. Its Geno. McAdoo has said, "Geno gives us the best chance to win". Which, you know, further compounds the point that he's one horrendous coach.

I'm baffled, disappointed, and angry about the whole thing.

Before everyone on offense died, even with the OL being a hot mess, Eli was actually playing well. Lead league in completion % and was top 3 in yards. Passed the eye test as much as anything.

Since then he's been playing with absolute paupers, has Mike Sullivan calling plays, and a team that is falling apart at the seams. He's been serviceable, but any QB would struggle. Geno Smith isn't suddenly going to be a competent QB in this league just because he may be more mobile than Eli.

Let the man finish the season with a little dignity, as is his earned right, and then get the **** out of the Franchise. Reese and McAdoo, that is.

I worry that this has come from the top, Mara & Reese, meaning Reese will actually still be here next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭boccy23

John Mara is notable by his absence in all this s***storm.

McAdoo and Reese have handled the situation as I would expect them. i.e. brutally.

But the Giants were always, at least had been, a class organisation. This whole thing is anything but class. Eli is the only one who has any class from the whole episode.

From having watched very one of Eli's games since 2004, in part or complete, was he the best QB in the NFL ever. No, but he was the best that the Giants have ever had.

We treated TC poorly at the end, Eli now, hell even Tiki was rushed out the door. I know it's a business but we could/should treat these great players/coaches better.

Looks like Mara made a choice between McAdont and Reach v Eli

McAdont and Reach had to sell the plan to Mara and he obviously approved

Serious lack of judgement there

The amount of lifelong fans threatened to withdraw season tickets etc is frightening on Giants page on FB. Even YATittle 1962 a class poster on the Giants Boards and a friend of John Mara will not renew his season tickets

Front office and McAdont couldn't have handled this worse if they tried

My grear fear is that one of McAdont or Reach will be kept on as they now have their fall guy in Eli

Even worse is the possibiliy both could be kept on

We used to be a class organisation and I thought that is why they kep McAdont midseason as it's not the Giants way to fire a coach midseason

The same logic should have applied to Eli

Start him and see how the game pans out. Not offer to start him and pull him at HT even if he 3 TDs or the games was still there to be won

What an insult to the competitor Eli is

"they basically said .. hey Eli ... after 14 years and two championships and 210 consecutive starts ... **** you !!!

and Eli like a man said .. no ... **** you !!! "

taken from YA on the Giants Boards

Eli still first in the building this morning. What a class act

Also, If McAdoo was a proper head coach, he would never ask Eli if he wanted to still start for token sake in order to keep the streak going. That's small time talk as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭boccy23

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Looks like Mara made a choice between McAdont and Reach v Eli

McAdont and Reach had to sell the plan to Mara and he obviously approved

Serious lack of judgement there

The amount of lifelong fans threatened to withdraw season tickets etc is frightening on Giants page on FB. Even YATittle 1962 a class poster on the Giants Boards and a friend of John Mara will not renew his season tickets

Front office and McAdont couldn't have handled this worse if they tried

My grear fear is that one of McAdont or Reach will be kept on as they now have their fall guy in Eli

Even worse is the possibiliy both could be kept on

We used to be a class organisation and I thought that is why they kep McAdont midseason as it's not the Giants way to fire a coach midseason

The same logic should have applied to Eli

Start him and see how the game pans out. Not offer to start him and pull him at HT even if he 3 TDs or the games was still there to be won

What an insult to the competitor Eli is

"they basically said .. hey Eli ... after 14 years and two championships and 210 consecutive starts ... **** you !!!

and Eli like a man said .. no ... **** you !!! "

taken from YA on the Giants Boards

Eli still first in the building this morning. What a class act

Apparently seen in the canteen with Davis Webb

• Advertisement

Knex. wrote: »
    I worry that this has come from the top, Mara & Reese, meaning Reese will actually still be here next season.

I don't disagree with trying out Geno & Webb, if Eli has said there is no point him starting if he can't finish then so be it, that is his decision.

McAdoo is a joke, the man should not be allowed in front of a camera and has no point being anywhere near the organisation. He should have been sacked 4 weeks ago, I am starting to fear he will still be in place next year.

Reese also needs to go, his inability/unwillingness to invest in the o-line, RB & LB is a ****ing joke. Engram looks to be a player in the making but there was no need to invest in a pass catcher when we already had OBJ, Sterling, Marshall & Vereen. It was overkill.

I'd love to see a clear out in the offseason of McAdoo, Reese and ........ Eli (sorry the time has come and his play does not match his value)

boccy23 wrote: »
    Apparently seen in the canteen with Davis Webb

Eli really is carrying himself impeccably throughout this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,302 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Eli really is carrying himself impeccably throughout this.

Of course he is. Having had 24 hours to think more about it, I don't have a problem with the Giants moving on from Eli as that's part of the NFL. The problem I had and still have is the way the Giants(McAdoo/Reese/Mara/Tisch) have handled it. Is having Eli in there for the rest of the season really going to make a difference to the Giants regular season record ? I don't think so. And Geno Smith is not going to be any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭chatticusfinch

Eli is a top guy. McAdoo and Reese are donkey ****e.

I had a thought this evening that perhaps the Giants are going all in for as high a draft pick as possible, and benching Eli is the best way to lose more games in order to do so.

They'll probably lose every game between now and the end of the season with that clown of a head coach coupled with Smith and/or Webb at QB, and should get at least the 3rd pick of the draft if not the 2nd by losing every game.

Maybe they plan on drafting his replacement this offseason, have their eye on one or two players in particular and think playing Eli these last few weeks could win them the games which put them out of contention to do so as the Browns will take a QB #1. Obviously they can't come out and say that, so this is how it has to play out.

If the Giants are going to clear house in the offseason then fair enough as they are likely never going to be in this draft position in such a loaded QB draft for a long time again, but the main issue I see with this is that the current coach and front office are going to be kept on which would be a disaster. It would have to be a fresh start from top to bottom IMO.

Just a random thought anyway.

Bunch of Mara quotes here on Vacchiano's page

https://twitter.com/RVacchianoSNY

He wrote an article here about it too. Apparently Mara thought Eli was being told he would be benched in 2nd half only if playing poorly in games in order to give the other QBs some reps.
    "I understand they feel that way," Mara said. "I've been around long enough to know that when you get to a decision like this there's no completely clean way to handle it. (But) it was not the way we hoped it would turn out."

https://www.sny.tv/giants/news/perception-of-giants-qb-switch-not-what-mara-envisioned/262586382

What Mara hoped would happen is that Manning would continue along as the Giants' starter with Geno Smith and Davis Webb getting some playing time late in games down the stretch so the team could evaluate their potential. But the plan went awry when Mara's vision was apparently not communicated clearly by Giants coach Ben McAdoo to Manning, which led Manning to shoot it down, creating a mess the Giants had hoped to avoid.

McAdoo's press conference he almost seems gleeful at the situation. Honestly, **** him.

Pugh also said that Eli came to the OL asking how best he could help the young QBs. On the day he was made take scout team reps. He's all class.

I'm still absolutely disgusted with this organisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

This is definitely the worst period for me as a giants fan; and I assume for the rest of ye too.

I've never watched a giants game without Eli there. I don't think I realised just how much I love the man until this mess hit yesterday. I thought we were a better organisation than this. He is all class in a league, and apparently now a franchise, that needs a lot more of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭chatticusfinch

I'm gonna miss Eli. Him beating Brady in both Superbowls when no one rated him were great moments. He was the QB through all my time as a Giants fan.

I will post more in the morning but the spin from Mara is pathetic and huge contradictions from the story yesterday with McAdont

Never send a boy to do a man's work Mara esp one as clueless on communication skills as McAdont

• Advertisement

Mara wanted Manning to continue to start with no definitive limit on how much he would play. Such as: If the Giants led the Raiders 21-3 at the half on Sunday, then it wasn’t a given Geno Smith would start the second half. But McAdoo screwed it up and alienated Manning by saying he would start the first half in Oakland and Smith would start the second half. Manning had no interest and Mara said he understood.

“I was hoping that he would continue to play and then we’d work out at what point the other quarterbacks go into the game,” he said. “It was presented the way that Ben thought it ought to be presented and could we have done it differently? I guess you could argue we could have. Yes,” Mara said. “The point was we did not want him on the bench. We wanted him to start the game and play some portion of the game and at some point work the other guys in.”

McAdoo could not even find the right way to bench a legend.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/giants-rocky-road-mcadoo-reese-firing-article-1.3666410

Yet he will keep faith with McAdont this weekend. Pathetic from Mara

There is a huge difference between we will start Eli and depending on how the game is going work in other QBs rather than no matter what Eli did you won't last past HT. You know kinda like when Geno did play this year

Mara was out of the building and trusted McAdont to deliver the biggest talk of the season. One that needed to be on point and not would we have done it differently? Madness!!!!!

Instead Mara, Reach and McAdont ended up ducking over the face of the franchise

Unacceptable

Advertisement