Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Giants Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 103 ✭✭JoshRosen

100% they take a QB! I was meaning is it Rosen or Mayfield they go for though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭cosatron

wawaman wrote: »
    Mike Shula is the new OC & quarterbacks coach

How’s Eli on the read option:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭wawaman

Barkley looks pretty special

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Barkley looks pretty special

He is remarkable. I wonder will the Browns take him as the first overall pick, they can well afford do given all of the picks and cap space they have.

If they don’t take him then the Giants will have an interesting decision to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

mickeyk wrote: »
    He is remarkable. I wonder will the Browns take him as the first overall pick, they can well afford do given all of the picks and cap space they have.

If they don’t take him then the Giants will have an interesting decision to make.

I don't think it is a decision that should take longer than saying his name. He is, by a distance, the best player in the draft. I've long been a fan of replacing Eli but honestly this kid is too good to pass. I'd still take a QB this year (trade up to bottom of 1st if Jackson or Mayfield were still hanging around) but we simply can't pass on this kid.

• Advertisement

HigginsJ wrote: »
    I don't think it is a decision that should take longer than saying his name. He is, by a distance, the best player in the draft. I've long been a fan of replacing Eli but honestly this kid is too good to pass. I'd still take a QB this year (trade up to bottom of 1st if Jackson or Mayfield were still hanging around) but we simply can't pass on this kid.

That has to be on the presumption that the O-Line gets major surgery in free agency. Pointless putting him there behind a line that can’t block. In other news it’s been reported that DRC is been moved to safety. I like that I have to say, he is a ball hawk

That has to be on the presumption that the O-Line gets major surgery in free agency. Pointless putting him there behind a line that can’t block. In other news it’s been reported that DRC is been moved to safety. I like that I have to say, he is a ball hawk

That’s a good point. Maybe trading down for a couple of picks and trying to fix that O Line is the best course of action.

There have been some very good RB’s picked up in the second and third rounds in recent years, but it would be a shame to leave Barkley on the board, he looks to be an outrageous talent.

All reports suggest the Browns will be going QB with the first pick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

That’s a good point. Maybe trading down for a couple of picks and trying to fix that O Line is the best course of action.

There have been some very good RB’s picked up in the second and third rounds in recent years, but it would be a shame to leave Barkley on the board, he looks to be an outrageous talent.

All reports suggest the Browns will be going QB with the first pick.

I’d be very surprised if they didn’t pick barkley #1. Simply because he won’t be there at #4. They still have a 75% of getting the QB they fancy at number 4. There doesn’t seem to be a overriding standout between Rosen Darnold Allen & Mayfield at the combine although they all seem to agree Allen will be last to go off the board out of them.

gstack166 wrote: »
    I’d be very surprised if they didn’t pick barkley #1. Simply because he won’t be there at #4. They still have a 75% of getting the QB they fancy at number 4. There doesn’t seem to be a overriding standout between Rosen Darnold Allen & Mayfield at the combine although they all seem to agree Allen will be last to go off the board out of them.

Browns GM apparently has indicated that they plan to pick up a stop gap QB in free agency for next season but they will still use their 1st pick on a QB.

I agree with you though, Barkley looks a much more sensible option for them overall, and they may well pick him when the time comes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Browns GM apparently has indicated that they plan to pick up a stop gap QB in free agency for next season but they will still use their 1st pick on a QB.

I agree with you though, Barkley looks a much more sensible option for them overall, and they may well pick him when the time comes.

I expect them to land Foles Keenum or McCarron to be honest. Talks that Kizer will be traded. Colts aren’t taking a QB & Giants won’t either in Barkley is there at #2 I’m predicting. There’s a franchise QB waiting for them at #4 with his RB already waiting for him!

• Advertisement

I expect them to land Foles Keenum or McCarron to be honest. Talks that Kizer will be traded. Colts aren’t taking a QB & Giants won’t either in Barkley is there at #2 I’m predicting. There’s a franchise QB waiting for them at #4 with his RB already waiting for him!

Yep, and with all that cap space as well the Browns could put together a good team very quickly. They already have a reasonable OLine and some very good talent there.

So for the Giants it’s Barkley if available, or maybe trade down for several picks. Taking a QB to sit behind Manning is not going to work when there are so many holes in the roster.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

That's on the presumption that no one trades with Giants or Colts to get the QB they want. Take last year as an example, the Bears traded up one spot to ensure they got Trubisky when in all likelihood he would have been there for them at 3. Many didn't like the move but there are plenty of teams who are looking for QBs who could easily do similar to get ahead of the Browns. If they feel strongly about a guy they have to pull the trigger this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

If they believe that any of the QBs there at 2 are 'Franchise' guys then they have to take them. If they believe there's only one QB that good they need to trade up with Cleveland and take him at #1.

If they don't have that high a grade on any QB then they'll take Nelson or Barkley or trade down.

These are all good options for a franchise with as many holes as the Giants have. It's going to be next to impossible to stuff this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

I'll be shocked if Barkley isn't picked by the Browns at 1, that additional pick at 4 provides then so many positive options and permutations. If they have questions on any of this years QB class they should go free-agency for Keenum, take Barkley at 1 and do whatever they like with that pick at 4.

I definitely agree that if we feel that any of the top 4 QBs of this year's class are the guy for the next 10+ years then no messing about at take him at 2 now. Eli is near the end if not there already and all 4 of the QB's are not completely polished and could do with a year learning and developing behind Eli.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I think the Browns will take their QB at 1. The new regime there are only in that job because the last regime passed on Wentz & Watson. They can't take, say, Rosen at 4 and watch Darnold (or whoever is picked earlier) become an All-Pro regardless of how their guy does or who they get in free agency.

I don't think they'll over-think it and expect them to take their top QB at 1.

The giants have acquired Alec Ogeltree from the rams in a trade

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Holy ****. I've been impressed with Ogletree since he came into the league. Shocked!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Good trade hopefully

He does come with a good CAP hit but I'm sick of TE's killing us every year and us have terrible LBs

Hopefully he can up his game as a NYG

Interesting Pro Football Focus has not been impressed by Ogletree’s work since his rookie season. Ogletree had only a 38.9 PFF grade in 2017, ranking him in PFF’s “poor” category.

Good that we protected the 1st 4th rounder so at least we still have picks 2, 34, 66, 102 and 139.

So Norwell goes to the Jags

We signed Jonathan Stewart

https://www.bigblueview.com/2018/3/13/17117326/jonathan-stewart-sign-ny-giants-per-report-news-rumors-free-agency

Hopefully he has something left in the tank but any RB is in trouble if we don't fix the O Line

• Advertisement

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    So Norwell goes to the Jags

We signed Jonathan Stewart

https://www.bigblueview.com/2018/3/13/17117326/jonathan-stewart-sign-ny-giants-per-report-news-rumors-free-agency

Hopefully he has something left in the tank but any RB is in trouble if we don't fix the O Line

Nate Solder is coming in for big money. That might mean flowers moving to the other side.

The #Giants are signing LT Nate Solder to a 4-year deal worth $62M, source said, with $35M guaranteed. The highest paid OL in the NFL. :moneybag::moneybag::moneybag:

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) March 14, 2018

Jeez that's a lot of money

Hopefully he will be worth it

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    The #Giants are signing LT Nate Solder to a 4-year deal worth $62M, source said, with $35M guaranteed. The highest paid OL in the NFL. :moneybag::moneybag::moneybag:

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) March 14, 2018

Jeez that's a lot of money

Hopefully he will be worth it

In fairness, a tackle dummy would be an upgrade on Flowers

Happy with that. Much, much needed.

Signed a Guard from the Jags that they rate highly. They only let him go with Norwell signing.

https://twitter.com/art_stapleton/status/974089489030221825

Also, OLB Martin from Cardinals. Apparently had a solid year last time around and is improving all the time. Betcher is obviously familiar with him.

https://twitter.com/JordanRaanan/status/974090409445154816

https://twitter.com/JordanRaanan/status/974099645696749569

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭boccy23

Honey Badger anyone?

No cap space for it, I imagine.

Edit: Looking at over the cap, we've 8.3m left. Cut Brandon Marshall and that's $1m dead cap but $5m in savings. Not sure what way the rookie reserve is done, though. So may need a lot of that for the draft. Still need a kicker and a punter, too.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-york-giants/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭boccy23

Knex. wrote: »
    No cap space for it, I imagine.

Yeah, probably wouldn't work with Collins and now DRC being moved to FS.

• Advertisement

Yeah, DRC left as it freed up 6.5m or something. He only played about 30% of snaps, so even though he was our most consistent player on defense when on the field over the past few years (in my eyes anyway), it seems he's near the end of his time in the league. Injuries certainly took away his playing time.

Advertisement