Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Giants Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 macker20

Lads if there is anyone with an interest in taking up the sport. Meath Bulldogs are still recruiting for the 2013 season. meathbulldogs@gmail.com Go Big Blue!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭boccy23

When I see Ahmad, Boley etc. being cut, it's obvious this is becoming a game where you pay a few, QB/WR/DE/Tackle and the rest are made up with league minimum guys.

I know that Eli has a huge cap hit ($20.85M) but Chris Snee @ $11M, Corey Webster @ $10M and David Diehl @ $6.85M create a crazy situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

boccy23 wrote: »
    When I see Ahmad, Boley etc. being cut, it's obvious this is becoming a game where you pay a few, QB/WR/DE/Tackle and the rest are made up with league minimum guys.

I know that Eli has a huge cap hit ($20.85M) but Chris Snee @ $11M, Corey Webster @ $10M and David Diehl @ $6.85M create a crazy situation.

Webster will be re-structured. Diehl will be cut (surely)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

We've just mortgaged a Superbowl. We were always going to get unlucky with a few guys. This is a retooling of the roster.

Diehl should be cut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭wawaman

Only read last night that the Giants signed Curtis Painter last month to a future/development contract. Dont remember him setting the world alight when he played for the Colts in 2011!! Maybe an indication that David Carr is on his way out

• Advertisement

wawaman wrote: »
    Only read last night that the Giants signed Curtis Painter last month to a future/development contract. Dont remember him setting the world alight when he played for the Colts in 2011!! Maybe an indication that David Carr is on his way out

Yea it was bit of an odd decision. If I remember the Colts started him but he was replaced by Dan Orlovsky.

We def need to look at getting a young replacement but I would rather use a 3rd round pick on someone like Landry Jones than waste time and money on Painter

HigginsJ wrote: »

Ah I hope the guy can do something but we can't rely on him. Hopefully he has a good camp. With TT restructuring sources have us at $5M under the cap. I want Reese to keep cutting. If we are to give Cruz a contract along with Beatty and Bennett then we need to get Webster restructured/cut and cut Diehl. I also don't want back loaded contracts as that has put us in this mess. I think we're going to look very healthy going into 2014.

SIGN HIM UP:

victor-cruz-salsa-o.gif

Ah I hope the guy can do something but we can't rely on him. Hopefully he has a good camp. With TT restructuring sources have us at $5M under the cap. I want Reese to keep cutting. If we are to give Cruz a contract along with Beatty and Bennett then we need to get Webster restructured/cut and cut Diehl. I also don't want back loaded contracts as that has put us in this mess. I think we're going to look very healthy going into 2014.

SIGN HIM UP:

victor-cruz-salsa-o.gif

He has hinted he 'll hold out of training camp if no deal is done. He deserves a big pay day so they better get him sorted

Anyone know much about David bueler? Former cowboys kicker is supposed to have been signed by the giants

• Advertisement

Anyone know much about David bueler? Former cowboys kicker is supposed to have been signed by the giants

Don't know much about him, although any competition for Tynes is a good thing

Osi Umenyiora ‏@OsiUmenyiora

@BoneMarrowBlue maybe. But I intend on breaking strahan's sack record this season. That's impossible playing in a rotation.

tumblr_m94h03ZuF21qbp8ico1_500.jpg

Seriously though best of luck to the guy.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/19/mara-says-giants-probably-wont-use-franchise-tag/

This seems like an odd decision if true. Losing Bennett or Kenny Phillips wouldn't bother me too much but I think it would be a big mistake to let Beatty leave without using the Franchise tag on him(unless they are close to a deal already)

http://nfltraderumors.co/giants-lt-will-beatty-making-progress-on-a-long-term-deal/

Will Beatty close to agreeing a deal. Only "minor issues" left to be sorted. We also gained another $1million in cap space by tweaking Kiwi's contract

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/cruz-contract-blues-continue-article-1.1273482

Sounds lie Giants & Cruz making no progress what-so-ever. At this stage I think they will simply tender Cruz and take their chances.

Bit of good news courtesy of waltzer football.com

Giants re-sign OT William Beatty (5 years, $38.75 million):
    This re-signing was a no-brainer. The Giants go up against DeMarcus Ware and Brian Orakpo twice a year, so they absolutely had to make sure they shored up Eli Manning's protection as he edges closer to his mid-30s.

William Beatty was heavily penalized in 2013 - his 11 infractions were fourth-most among tackles in 2012 - but he surrendered just three sacks. Beatty, who is definitely close to being a top-10 left tackle, was going to be a hot commodity in free agency. Considering the Eagles signed Demetress Bell to a 5-year, $35 million pact last spring, this Beatty contract seems like a great deal.

Great news on Beatty although he was always priority number 1. The Cruz situation concerns me. I think both camps are way off. Let's give Reese a chance.

Looks like Cullen Jenkins on his way to the Giants

http://www.csnphilly.com/eagles/source-cullen-jenkins-meeting-giants

So here is our depth chart based on losing our URFA.

So lots of work to do. Starting on offence.

RB and QB are fine, although a better back-up than Curtis Painter would be nice.

We will need so veteran depth and help at WR. If Cruz holds out (likely I'd imagine) then we are very short. I presume we will bring back Dominik Hixon. There is some talent available (on the cheap) Guys like Jabar Gaffney or Brandon Stokely be a safe pair of hands.

Martellus Bennett won't be back. Bear Pascoe is an excellent blocker but there will be alot of pressure on Adrien Robinson to step up. Hynosaurus might also bet few more passes thrown his way ala Marcel Reese.

The O-line require alot of work. Kevin Boothe n Sean Locklear should be brought back. I'd love to see Brandon Mosley get a shot at winning the RT job. (Diehl need to be cut) James Brewer is going into year 3 so it's now or never for him

The D-line is full of potential but could use a high draft pick. Tuck, JPP and Linval Joseph are all-pro caliber players. Shaun Rogers, Marvin Austin and Markus Kuhn will battle to start next to Joseph. Ojomo and Tracey are exciting back ups at DE. Kiwi is also likely to be exclusively used at DE this year. Our 2nd round pick should be used here.

LB is a disaster as of now. Jacquain Williams is nailed down as one starter which is great. The other spots are worrying. If Keith Rivers were fit he would be a starter but that's not likely to happen. The likes of Herzlick and Paysinger are not starting quality. I'd nearly bring back Chase Blackburn (veteran minimum) just to add depth and nous. Kevin Minter, Alex Ogletree, Khaseem Greene, Arthur Brown (AJ Klein in the later rounds) would all be immediate starters and upgrades. 1st round pick and a later pick wouldn't go astray.

The secondary has the talent but has a few questions. Did Corey Webster play hurt last year or is he in decline? Can TT bounce back from 2 years out? Can Prince avoid the injury report every week. Can Stevie Brown maintain his turnover pace. I'd like to add a potential starter in the draft. I'd use our 3rd round pick here on someone like David Amerson if he were available.

Special teams could use 2 new players. There are a couple of very good kickers available in the draft and we could use a 6th round pick on one of them (I'll get the names later) Presuming David Wilson will be starting at RB we could use a new KR. The Honeybadger or Marquis Goodwin in the 4th round would add depth at CB/WR and a potential game breaker on ST.

So a draft of the following would help.

1. LB Kevin Minter/Alec Ogletree
    2. DT Sylvester Williams
    3. CB David Amerson
    4. WR Marquis Goodwin
    5. LB AJ Klein
    6. K Dustin Hopkins
    6 supplemental pick. DE David Bass
    7. QB Jordan Rogers

Offense
    LWR 80 Cruz, Victor RFA 82 Randle, Rueben 00 Collins, Brandon

RWR 88 Nicks, Hakeem 12 Jernigan, Jerrel 00 Adams, Kris 00 Hardy, Kevin

LT 65 Beatty, Will 74 McCants, Matt 62 Adcock, Levy

LG 60 CAPERS, SELVISH 79 Goodin, Stephen 00 DeGeare, Chris

C 64 BAAS, DAVID 63 Cordle, Jim

RG 76 SNEE, CHRIS 67 Mosley, Brandon 00 Jasper, Michael 00 Browning, Bryant

RT 66 DIEHL, DAVID 73 Brewer, Jame

TE 86 PASCOE, BEAR 81 Robinson, Adrien 46 Donnell, Larry 00 Childers, Jami 46 Donnell, Larry

QB 10 MANNING, ELI 00 Painter, Curtis

FB 45 Hynoski, Henry

RB 22 Wilson, David 35 Brown, Andre RFA 33 Scott, Da'Rel 41 Torain, Ryan RFA

Defense
    LDE 91 Tuck, Justin 98 Tracy, Adrian 54 Broha, Matt

LDT 97 Joseph, Linval 96 Austin, Marvin 00 Skinner, Bobby

RDT 73 Rogers, Shuan 78 Kuhn, Markus

RDE 90 Pierre-Paul, Jason 71 Ojomo, Adewale 69 Trattou, Justin

SLB 94 MATHIAS KIWANUKA

MLB 58 Herzlich, Mark 43 Muasau, Jake

WLB 57 Williams, Jacquian 52 Paysinger, Spencer

LCB 23 Webster, Corey 28 Hosley, Jayron 36 Frederick, Terrence 00 Dennard, Antonio

SS 27 Brown, Stevie RFA 39 Sash, Tyler 00 Caldwell, David

FS 26 Rolle, Antrel 31 Hill, Will

RCB 24 Thomas, Terrell 20 Amukamara, Prince 34 Scott, Laron 00 McBride, Trumaine 00 Jackson, Buddy

Special Teams
    P 5 WEATHERFORD, STEVE
    PK 00 Buehler, David 00 Rogers, Jake
    LS 51 DeOssie, Zak
    PR 82 Randle, Rueben
    KR 22 Wilson, David

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000147637/article/corey-webster-accepts-pay-cut-to-stay-with-giants?campaign=Twitter_atl

Webster has taken a $3.25 million dollar pay cut in the final year of his contract. David Baas has also taken a lower base salary to increase cap space (but gets a roster bonus to make up the difference)

Giants should now have nice bit of wiggle room in free agency

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

That's Cruz locked up I'd say.

So along with the news Higgins left here there is also a bit more to add:

- Kenny Phillips is hitting FA. He's turned down a long term deal with the Giants and is now going to pursue money elsewhere. He's been a good Giant. Unfortunately I agree with Reese here. The guy is a durability question and I don't think a guy with question marks deserves to be paid like he would without the injuries. That's KP done in NY.

- Giants have responded by contacting the agent of Charles Woodson. Not sure about that unless he's on low money. Will Hill and Stevie Brown can do a job. But for corner depth and a role behind those two guys then I'm okay with that.

- Giants resigned Tracy, Cordle and Trattou

Now to cut Diehl and restructure Rolle. If Rolle wants to be a Giant long-term then he needs to restructure now and have a more cap-friendly deal or else he will be cut in 2014. Diehl needs to take a pay-cut or be cut outright. Baas's cap hit next year will be $8Million, which is bad news next year. If we can tie Boothe down then I'd say Diehl will be cut.

Cullen Jenkins is joining the New York Giants.
    NFL.com's Kimberly Jones broke the news Sunday that Jenkins had signed a three-year, $8 million contract with the Giants. Jenkins is guaranteed $3 million in the deal.
    The Giants were just one of several teams interested in Jenkins, who was cut by the Philadelphia Eagles last month for salary-cap reasons. After meeting with the Giants last week, Jenkins flew to the West Coast for meetings with the Seattle Seahawks, San Francisco 49ers and Oakland Raiders.
    Jenkins is set to step into a starting role alongside Linval Joseph on the interior of New York's defensive line. Jenkins replaces Chris Canty, who was cut by New York last month.
    A nine-year veteran, Jenkins comes to the Meadowlands after spending two seasons with the Eagles as part of their doomed "Dream Team" experiment. Prior to that, Jenkins spent seven seasons with the Green Bay Packers. According to Mike Sando of ESPN, Jenkins played about two-thirds of the available defensive snaps since 2008. He finished last season with 26 tackles, 30 quarteback pressures and four sacks in 16 games.
    This is a nice signing by the Giants, who gain depth and experience along a defensive line well-built to get to the quarterback. Given the interest Jenkins garnered on the open market, the Giants must be pleased they got this done at a manageable price

Just saw this. All in all not a bad deal especially when only $3 million guaranteed.

Giants have announced that they have placed a first round tender on Cruz. I've read a few articles that suggest this is the 1st year this might be tested as there are several teams interested in him especially the rams who have a 1st round pick going spare from the rg3 trade

Cruz changed his agent today. This is good news as the old agent wanted him to test FA before doing any deal. Apparently the new agent wants to strike a deal.I think Cruz knows what he can get but he'll take a small hit to stay here but he's not going to lose too much to stay either.

Giants have announced that they have placed a first round tender on Cruz. I've read a few articles that suggest this is the 1st year this might be tested as there are several teams interested in him especially the rams who have a 1st round pick going spare from the rg3 trade

Yea the Rams immediately sprung to my mind. They would surely use a 1st rounder on a WR for Bradford so Cruz would make tonne of sense (he is only 25 going on 26)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Bennett just tweeted he's off to the Bears. He has a great start last season but fizzled out there after imo.

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Bennett just tweeted he's off to the Bears. He has a great start last season but fizzled out there after imo.

Overrated but would of been nice to keep for the right price

• Advertisement

Aaron Ross is back again!!

More dead weight. Maybe for depth but he is waaaaaaay overrated now.

Advertisement