Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Giants Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Myers is going to be great under Eli IMO. Averaged at least 1 20 yard catch in all but two games last year. This guy looks better than Bennett and we know what Eli can do with TE.

I like Murphy too as he's quick and an average WR who's likely going to be switching with Wilson on KR/PR.

JR is doing his thing in FA. But our OLine is going to kill us. We need a LG and RT quick. Maybe Brewer might take the RT spot but that to me is a financial decision. I think we're going to have to at least use two draft picks on the OLine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Luis Murphy is a good pick up. Solid worker and good run blocker as well. As a WR he'd not elite but he's a very good fringe WR I think. Not sure on Myers, don't can't block to save his life and I think his stats in the passing game were pretty inflated due to garbage time. He could be an excellent pick and playing with Eli and the Giants should help but I expect him to underperform tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Luis Murphy is a good pick up. Solid worker and good run blocker as well. As a WR he'd not elite but he's a very good fringe WR I think. Not sure on Myers, don't can't block to save his life and I think his stats in the passing game were pretty inflated due to garbage time. He could be an excellent pick and playing with Eli and the Giants should help but I expect him to underperform tbh.

Yea very happy with Murphy. He doesn't need to be elite or anywhere near it but has to replace Domenik Hixon who has been a reliable target over the past few years. Murphy will be 4 on the depth chart and hopefully will have a role in the return game.

In relation to Myers blocking the Giants have the best TE coach in the business in Michael Pope. He helped make Kevin Boss, Jake Ballard and Martellus Bennett reliable all round TE's for Eli so hopefully he can do the same with Myers.

Our updated Depth Chart after a week of free agency. We are apparently pretty much up to the salary cap after the signings of Murphy, Myers and Conor.

It has been confirmed that David Diehl's contract remains unchanged at present.

Offense
    Position Player 1 Player 2 Player 3 Player 4 Player 5
    QB Eli Manning Curtis Painter
    RB David Wilson Andre Brown Da’Rel Scott Ryan Torain
    FB Henry Hynoski
    WR1 Hakeem Nicks Reuben Randle Kris Adams Brandon Collins
    WR2 Victor Cruz Louis Murphy Jerrel Jernigan Kevin Hardy
    TE Brandon Myers Bear Pascoe Adrien Robinson Larry Donnell Jamie Childers
    LT Will Beatty Matt McCants Levy Adcock
    LG Selvish Capers Stephen Goodin Chris DeGeare
    C David Baas Jim Cordle
    RG Chris Snee Brandon Mosley Michael Jasper Bryant Browning
    RT David Diehl James Brewer

Defense
    Position Player 1 Player 2 Player 3 Player 4 Player 5
    LDE Justin Tuck Adrian Tracy Matt Broha
    LDT Linval Joseph Shaun Rogers Bobby Skinner
    RDT Cullen Jenkins Markus Kuhn Marvin Austin
    RDE Jason Pierre-Paul Adewale Ojomo Justin Trattou
    SLB Mathias Kiwanuka Keith Rivers
    MLB Dan Connor Mark Herzlich Jake Muasau
    WLB Jacquian Williams Spencer Paysinger
    LCB Corey Webster Jayron Hosley Terrence Frederick Antonio Dennard Buddy Jackson
    RCB Prince Amukamara Terrell Thomas Aaron Ross Trumaine McBride Laron Scott
    SS Stevie Brown Ryan Mundy Tyler Sash David Caldwell
    FS Antrel Rolle Will Hill

Details of Brandon Myers contract courtesy of Bigblueview.com

The totals were officially posted to the NFLPA web site Monday. Myers signed a four-year, $14.25 million deal, BUT the first year of that is the only one guaranteed and includes only a $725K salary. The remaining three years are listed at $4 million annually. The cap hit for Myers in 2013, according to a variety of Giants' beat writers masquerading as amateur capologists, will be $1.125 million. That includes his salary and a pro-rated portion of his reported $1.75 million signing bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

We got a compensatory draft pick in the seventh round (Pick No. 253).

Go JR, go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭wawaman

No hasselback, he has gone to the colts. Giants re-sign David Carr!! Stevie Brown is also back next season. Good news, hopefully he can have another good year

Hopefully Stevie Brown kicks on after a fantastic year last year.

tumblr_mcmnj5wAfX1qi8boqo1_500.jpg

David Carr is back on a 1 year deal

Looking forward to seeing Will Hill and Stevie out there this year.

I think TT is going to be a safety this year. With Ross and a bunch of nobodies as back ups we may look to get a corner somewhere in the draft. If we can fix the OLine and LB situation then that would be great from this year.

• Advertisement

Looking forward to seeing Will Hill and Stevie out there this year.

I think TT is going to be a safety this year. With Ross and a bunch of nobodies as back ups we may look to get a corner somewhere in the draft. If we can fix the OLine and LB situation then that would be great from this year.

Really like our safety situation next year. Rolle and Mundy have experience and Stevie, Will Hill and Tyler Sash add great potential to the group.

Def see us taking a corner at some point in the draft. Webster, Amukamara, Hosley and Ross are not a bad group but wouldn't say no to Jonathan Banks, David Amerson or Brandon McGee later in the draft. I have no idea how TT will be. If he is able to contribute at all it'll be fantatic.

I wonder if we will draft anyone on the o-line. Kevin Boothe needs to be re-signed obviously and once fit they could bring back in Sean Locklear. We have 4 young guys that need to be given a shot. Selvish Capers, James Brewer, Matt McCants and my personal favourite Brandon Mosley are all relatively recent draft picks so the answer may rest with them.

Eli is willing to do his bit !!!

Eli Manning is no fool. The two-time Super Bowl MVP wants the New York Giants and Victor Cruz to get a deal done.
    The Giants haven't asked Manning to restructure his contract, which runs through 2015 and counts $21 million against the salary cap in 2013, but he's willing to do so if it helps the team keep Cruz.
    "If the Giants want to work something out," Manning told The Associated Press on Wednesday, "I am always up for listening, figuring out what I can do to help the cause."
    (Tom Brady might have said those same words about Wes Welker, but we won't go there.)
    Manning knows what he has in Cruz. He's the only wide receiver since Manning became the starting quarterback to lead the Giants in receiving yards in consecutive years with 1,000-plus yard seasons. Only Plaxico Burress (2006 to 2007) has surpassed Cruz's 19 combined touchdowns over a two-year span in that time.
    Manning said he wakes up every day checking the news in hopes that Cruz hasn't accepted another team's offer. The Giants already have taken a risk by placing a first-round tender on the restricted free agent.
    Cruz recently changed agents and hired Tom Condon, who also represents Manning. The quarterback has urged Condon, via text message to, "Get this done!"

"I want Victor back with the Giants," Manning said. "It is nerve-wracking. He is anxious. He has been dealing with this contract issue for a long time, last year and into this year. I know he wants to get this settled and get back to playing football, and just worrying about that."

The Giants have to get this done. We always talk about draft and develop and keeping young pieces. Well, the Giants developed Cruz from an undrafted rookie into a 26-year-old Pro Bowl selection heading into his prime. How far apart can the two parties be?

Apparently we are still in negotiations with David Diehl over a pay restructure/cut. This is utterly crazy. We could have saved $6.25 million against the cap had we cut him.

That would have been enough to re-sign Kevin Boothe, Sean Locklear and still have a bit left over. Really annoying.

Chris Snee has came out today and said he is willing to re-structure if it helps. Would be no harm as he is very well paid

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Apparently we are still in negotiations with David Diehl over a pay restructure/cut. This is utterly crazy. We could have saved $6.25 million against the cap had we cut him.

That would have been enough to re-sign Kevin Boothe, Sean Locklear and still have a bit left over. Really annoying.

Chris Snee has came out today and said he is willing to re-structure if it helps. Would be no harm as he is very well paid

I'd be fairly confident of getting a deal done with Cruz now too. The only thing that may stand in the way is if Cruz doesn't mind getting paid the tender amount and he thinks he can grab more in FA.

You're right Higgins. DD is a real mind boggling situation. Why this guy hasnt been cut is beyond me. He's a liability and is only current trait is giving up a rusher on every down. I've a feeling that the only reason Diehl isn't moving on his contract is that he knows he's done in the league. He has absoltely no leverage and we will free up cap room even if we cut him. I hope he refuses and is cut.

I'd only be in favour of restructuring Snee if he's willing to take a pay cut. He's a guy coming off surgery this year and I'd rather not have any future cap problems with his contract.

Also good to see TC calling out JPP on his weight this year. I know the guy didn't get much help but he didn't really get going this year. Hopefully he comes into camp at an ideal weight and is ready to break Strahan's sack record.

I'd be fairly confident of getting a deal done with Cruz now too. The only thing that may stand in the way is if Cruz doesn't mind getting paid the tender amount and he thinks he can grab more in FA.

You're right Higgins. DD is a real mind boggling situation. Why this guy hasnt been cut is beyond me. He's a liability and is only current trait is giving up a rusher on every down. I've a feeling that the only reason Diehl isn't moving on his contract is that he knows he's done in the league. He has absoltely no leverage and we will free up cap room even if we cut him. I hope he refuses and is cut.

I'd only be in favour of restructuring Snee if he's willing to take a pay cut. He's a guy coming off surgery this year and I'd rather not have any future cap problems with his contract.

Also good to see TC calling out JPP on his weight this year. I know the guy didn't get much help but he didn't really get going this year. Hopefully he comes into camp at an ideal weight and is ready to break Strahan's sack record.

Agree totally with Snee. He is not getting any younger and despite the whole pro-bowl thing I personally think Boothe is a better player.

Was a bit surprised to read about JPP today. I thaught he actually was ok apart from the lack of sacks. Apparently he and Tuck are going to be on the field pretty much every down this year and they are changing positions with Tuck at LE and JPP at RE. I also see this as reducing the likelyhood that we go DE in he 1st.

My suspicion at this stage is that we will be going CB in the 1st

Agree totally with Snee. He is not getting any younger and despite the whole pro-bowl thing I personally think Boothe is a better player.

Was a bit surprised to read about JPP today. I thaught he actually was ok apart from the lack of sacks. Apparently he and Tuck are going to be on the field pretty much every down this year and they are changing positions with Tuck at LE and JPP at RE. I also see this as reducing the likelyhood that we go DE in he 1st.

My suspicion at this stage is that we will be going CB in the 1st

I could see us definately going CB in the first 3 rounds anyway. JR went to Alec Ogletree's Pro Day today. I can see us going Alec Ogletree especially if Xavier Rhodes if off the board. I hope we take Mathieu if he's there in the third. Wouldn't mind seeing us get Jonathon Cooper either. One guy I hope falls to us in the second is Tank Carradine. He's going to be a beast in the NFL. He done his ACL but he's the best rusher in the draft. He'll probably drop off a bit due to his injury. It'll all depend on whether he works out in April or not.

I could see us definately going CB in the first 3 rounds anyway. JR went to Alec Ogletree's Pro Day today. I can see us going Alec Ogletree especially if Xavier Rhodes if off the board. I hope we take Mathieu if he's there in the third. Wouldn't mind seeing us get Jonathon Cooper either. One guy I hope falls to us in the second is Tank Carradine. He's going to be a beast in the NFL. He done his ACL but he's the best rusher in the draft. He'll probably drop off a bit due to his injury. It'll all depend on whether he works out in April or not.

Yea I saw that Reese was at the pro-day today ok. Ogletree would be really exciting player to have on board. A proper play making LB would be a change.

Can't see Cooper or Rhodes falling to us but I wouldn't say no to Jonathan Banks.

100% agree on Carradine. My worry is that I have seen a few mocks recently where he is sneaking into bottom of the 1st so think he might be gone as well. :(

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1579038-victor-cruz-reportedly-offered-contract-in-excess-of-7-million-a-year-by-giants

Fantastic news (if true)

The big question is how have we came up $7 million in cap room? :confused:

Thanks for those Eli :D

The David Wilson one is so encouraging. For see reason I never realised how much of a power runner he is. The speed is obvious but he can put some hurt on LB's too.

I have such high hopes for our offense next year (presuming Nicks is 100% and Cruz is back) I think Randle will have a massive season.

• Advertisement

Thanks for those Eli :D

The David Wilson one is so encouraging. For see reason I never realised how much of a power runner he is. The speed is obvious but he can put some hurt on LB's too.

I have such high hopes for our offense next year (presuming Nicks is 100% and Cruz is back) I think Randle will have a massive season.

The staff apparently really liked Randle's work ethic last year and I think he's going to be a big player for us.

I think your dead right about Nicks.The guy is just amazing but can he stay healthy? I hope so. It LOOKS like Cruz will be back. Nobody is willing to give up a first plus they'll need to do a deal with a guy who's current revenue is mostly based on commercial deals in New York City. Right now it's rumoured that the Giants want to give him a long term deal @ 7M. However, Cruz, apparently, wants a 3 year deal.

I think that works for both sides. We get three more years of production from Cruz and he'll get to test FA before he's 30. Also as you've stated Higgins that Randle is a talent. Do we really want potentially $18m a year tied up in WR money with Nicks and Cruz for 6/7 years when we have guys like Randle waiting to step up.

I see Osi has also said that winning a SB in Atlanta would be better than in NY. I don't really get the guy. He moaned what seemed like every off season to get a deal and while the guy was a great player at one stage he's really gone off with these little injuries he's suffered. I wish him all the best but I think he's a little delusional saying that he's going to break Strahan's sack record and that he's going to be the Defensive PoTY. He's not getting near either of those tbh. I think Tracy and Ojomo will get more reps this year know he's gone and I look forward to watching them in preseason.

Ever since the fumble on day 1 Wilson has been solid and has gone from strenght to strenght. If I'm bored in work I might try and watch more tape of him. But I really like him. He's just going to get better hopefully.

Some good news being reported on twitter that Kevin Boothe is back :)

Some good news being reported on twitter that Kevin Boothe is back :)

One year deal too which gives us time to find a long term solution at LG

David Diehl has restructured final year of his contract to $1 million. This clears approx $3.5 million in cap space.

He has not had any additional years added so it seems a straight forward enough pay cut (I'm sure he has lots of incentives built in)

All I can say is about bloody time. He should have been cut but keeping him for $1 million is a good deal for the Giants.

More cuts to come too. We need about another $1M to sign the rookies and then whatever Cruz's first year cap hit is(I he signs a deal that is!)

In our top cap hits this year we have Eli, Snee, Tuck, Rolle, Webster, Baas, Kiwi. All of them bar Eli are overpaid.

Rolle, Snee and Tuck should be taking huge cuts tbh. If we cut them now does their salary due for 2014 count against the cap in 2014 and so on?

David Diehl has restructured final year of his contract to $1 million. This clears approx $3.5 million in cap space.

He has not had any additional years added so it seems a straight forward enough pay cut (I'm sure he has lots of incentives built in)

All I can say is about bloody time. He should have been cut but keeping him for $1 million is a good deal for the Giants.

Good deal for both parties. JR and co. are doing some stuff behind the scenes with all these restructurings.

Fair play to the players too. Alright, most of them were awful last year and deserved pay cuts but it would be easy to walk away and get a better deal somewhere else.

Ye probably know about this site but I'll link it just in case. Great website. http://overthecap.com/teamcontract.php?Team=Giants

Also we're wearing an alternate jersey in 2013. Hoping for the classic helmets!

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Also we're wearing an alternate jersey in 2013. Hoping for the classic helmets!

I think its that we are wearing white pants as opposed to the usual grey ! Although it would be great to see "GIANTS" on the helmet again, even for one game

Chase Blackburn has tweeted that he will be joining the panthers

We won't miss Chase from a playing standpoint but

• Advertisement

Hixon is in talks with the Raiders. Terrible move if true. He'd make a solid #3 (considering we re-sign Cruz).

Advertisement