Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Giants Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Tiki Barber: Eli Manning is better than Peyton Manning

Stahp Tiki, just stahp!
    atx;
    LINDA CATAFFO/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Since leaving the Giants, Tiki Barber has criticized Eli Manning’s lack of leadership.

The ex-Giants running back changed course on his former quarterback Wednesday, saying that Manning still has a shot to be one of the NFL’s all-time great quarterbacks, while going so far as to say that Eli is a better signal-caller than his older brother, Peyton Manning.

During the course of his show on CBS Sports Radio — which falls on deaf ears in New York, since it can’t be found on the radio dial — Barber and his “The Morning Show” co-host Brandon Tierney kicked around Eli Manning’s status among the NFL’s best quarterbacks.

“The expectation was that he was never going to be Peyton,” Barber said. “I remember having these conversations with people who watched Eli in college saying, ‘He’s good, but he’s never going to be Peyton. He’s not Peyton.’ Guess what? I think he’s better than Peyton.

RELATED: TIKI ASKS TWIN BROTHER RONDE: WHY DON'T PEOPLE LIKE ME

“Because of clutch. What matters in sports? It’s winning and losing,” Barber said. “You get to the stage and what do you do? Eli’s gotten there and he’s won.”

Who’s the Mann? Tiki Barber picks Eli (r.) over Peyton (l.).
    GERRY BROOME/AP

Who’s the Mann? Tiki Barber picks Eli (r.) over Peyton (l.).

The younger of the two Mannings is 8-3 in the playoffs, including his two Super Bowl wins, while Peyton is 9-11 with one Super Bowl and a reputation for wilting under the bright lights, most notably against Tom Brady and the Patriots, who Eli has twice defeated in the Super Bowl.

Before giving Eli a leg up on Peyton, Barber said the younger Manning still has a chance to be remembered as one of the top-five quarterbacks of all-time, a group most put Brady and Peyton in ahead of the Giants quarterback.

“For Eli to crack that top five that you’re talking about of all time, he’s gotta have that year, that 2011 season, a couple more times and win another Super Bowl and Super Bowl MVP,” Barber said. “And then I think he’s in the discussion of the Top 5 of all time.”

Manning threw for a career-best 4,933 yards with 29 touchdowns against 16 interceptions in 2011. He completed 61 percent of his passes and led Big Blue to its second Super Bowl of the Manning/Tom Coughlin era.

Barber’s praise of Manning is a complete 180 from his prior public comments on the quarterback, who he criticized for lacking leadership skills from his perch on NBC.

“His postseason record is significantly better than his brother’s, so that’s another conversation that gives Eli an edge,” Barber said.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Cutting it a bit fine but Giants & Justin Pugh have reached an agreement so he will be in training camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Cutting it a bit fine but Giants & Justin Pugh have reached an agreement so he will be in training camp.

Hadn't even realised they left it this late!

Hon T-Rex.

• Advertisement

Keno 92 wrote: »

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/vacchiano-giants-better-hope-tuck-left-article-1.1407856

It's now or never for Tuck to bounce back. Final year of his contract.

I actually think that the rest of the D (apart from JPP missing few games of course) should be better than last year.

Our starting DT's are excellent and we have alot of depth at the position so he won't find himself being moved inside. Kiwi (and hopefully Damontre Moore) will hold the fort at the other DE spot.

Our LB's should be more athletic than last year. Rivers, Williams, Connor, Herslich will hopefully be fit & step it up.

Our secondary is a bit of a question, outside of Amukamara, so they will need alot of help up front.

As the article says our D & our season rests on Tuck.

Stumbled across this video of David Wilson from an U19 game with USA. Passionate guy :D

Think he was voted MVP of the tournament.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/27028/practice-report-second-impressions

Only second practise session so not sure you can take much out of it but 1st team LB's were Paysiner, Herslich & Rivers

• Advertisement

Wonder what life with Big Ben would of been like.

I cannot believe this.

That realy really looks like Eli.

I always presumed we would have had Rivers if the Eli trade hadn't gone through. Big Ben would have been interesting but you'd have to worry about ll the temptation in NYC with him.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    That realy really looks like Eli.

I always presumed we would have had Rivers if the Eli trade hadn't gone through. Big Ben would have been interesting but you'd have to worry about ll the temptation in NYC with him.

Yeah. if the trade would of went south we'd of been stuck with Rivers. But picking Rivers was only because the Chargers were high on him and a deal would of been possible.

If we went to SD with the deal and they said no we would of gone with Ben.

Crazy, crazy draft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Do what are we realistically hoping for this season?

I'm hoping that Stevie Brown can step up and improve again, I hope that DaMontre Moore can have an impact and that David Wilson can perform imrpove his pass blocking.

From what I've read Moore and Sabino could have a decent impact on this season. I think we're in a small retooling period but I still think we can get to the playoffs this year. 9-7 should be enough to win the NFC East.

Really is such a hard division to call as every team has their 'ifs' and questions.

Can't see the Eagles winning the division though, although I'm sure they'll improve. Recent Maclin injury and then the Cooper stuff on top of the QB battle and new coach etc I think its just out of their reach as of now.

Cowboys look dangerous this year and Romo is on the back of that huge contract so pressure is on for him to step up. Jobs on the line too if they don't reach the playoffs.

I do think its down to us and Redskins and a lot will probably ride on how RGIII comes back. Doubt they'll call read option as heavily as last season as they will need to protect him even more now, but sky is the limit for them.

I'm surprisingly feeling confident about our secondary, I think they'll improve a lot this season. Stopping the run is a massive focus this offseason so I would expect and improvement there, if nothing remarkable. Linebacker as we know is just an enigma and we will have to wait and see, but I would say we will be a top 10-15 defence but probably not higher.

Would be a lot more confident on the offensive side of things if Nicks hadn't hobbled through the last few practices. Really need a big year from him, but hopefully his contract situation will be the added motivation to get it.

Can't see Eli having another down year though, and tbh, he has a lot of options now with Randle looking for a breakout year and Myers looks like he could add a fair bit as well.

My money is on it all coming down to Game 17 at home against the Redskins, and you would like to think that the Giants can win that in their own back yard with the added motivation of having the Super Bowl being in New York too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭wawaman

Looking forward to the weekends game and having the Giants back in action. Hopefully if we can get off to a decent start before the bye week then this might be the year we can keep it going after the bye and not have the by now annual collapse

This is why the internet was invented...

That is one of the funniest things I have seen in a long time!!!!
    Not the first ad they have done tho

http://balls.ie/american-football/manning-brothers-make-rap-debut/

Im thinking that 10 wins is more than realistic aim this year. 4-2 in the division (beat the Eagles twice) Panthers, Chiefs, Vikings, Raiders, Lions & Chargers.

Think with the talent (& health) on offense Eli will have a career year. It's an outstanding WR group (even with a hobbled Nicks) & think Adrien Robinson could be special at TE. With a few screen passes to David Wilson think Eli will finish the year 5012 yards, 36 TD's & 14ints.

The defense had to be better simply on the basis that they will be fitter, more athletic and more depth in key positions. JPP will be back by week 1 & will dominate along with Linval Joseph, Herslich & Prince.

Don't see the Eagles as much of a threat, especially if Vick is named starter. The Cowboys will be very strong IMO & would look to be surely set for at least a 9 win campaign. Think the Skins will come back to earth with a thud & may only get to 6/7 wins.

• Advertisement

I am predicting another 9-7.

I want Eli to bounce back. JPP to get over his injury and join up with Tuck and actually play well. The pass rush is vital to our game and it was non existent last season. Defence has to improve. It will be be the year of the Prince. Corey Webster can't be as bad as last season, can he?

Wilson to make RB his bitch and Brown to come back from injury and beast it up again. Our WR's are up there with the best, so I expect our numbers to be the same come the end of the season.

Not a lot to ask for...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000226831/article/jason-pierrepaul-cant-commit-to-week-1-return-for-giants

I would have thought getting him back 100% would be the main concern regardless of what week it is

Deon Grant retires as a Giant.

'I want to retire as a Giant,” Grant said in a Giants release. "I want to be a Giant for the rest of my life"

Playing the Steelers tonight.

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Playing the Steelers tonight.

Hoping Nassib, Hankins n Moore have good games.

Think the most interesting positional battle is the LB's. It really could be any 3 from Herslich, Rivers, Conner, Williams, Paysinger & Curry. Hopefully Etienne Sabino does enough to beat one of these guys off the 53 man panel.

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Tuck-Nicks--others-not-playing-vs-Steelers/4f8ebf46-e00c-4460-9206-6c3879fac97c

12 players won't go tonight. Nicks, Tuck, Snee, JPP & most importantly Justin Pugh.

Damn. I was hoping to see some stuff from Pugh.

Even though its only preseason, I can't wait for this. Been far too long.

Really interested in seeing Nassib as I'm not so convinced on him as of now, truth being told. He is young and will have a great mentor in Eli, so baring a freak injury to Eli there shouldn't be any worries there long term.

Steelers will probably want to get Bell running the ball a good bit tonight so will be interesting to see how we do against the run, even if it is second and third string.

Damontre Moore with a big 1st impression with a punt block :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Damontre Moore looks very impressive so far.

• Advertisement

Heard the commentator say how Carr was sacked 76 times in his rookie season.

Looked it up and I had to laugh. He's been sacked 58 times more than Eli despite playing 45 less games. Knows how to take a hit I'd say :D

Advertisement