Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Giants Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

By all accounts Brandon Mosley had a very good game starting in place of Chris Snee. Delighted by this as big fan of Mosley when we drafted him.

Ojomo had 1.5 sacks last night to go with 4 last pre-season. Can't see him making the 53 but he will surely be picked up if Giants to to sneak him back to the practise squad.

Nassib went 1-4 for 29 yards n had to recover one awful snap. Hopefully we will see more of him as the pre-season moves on. Painter and Carr both attempted 11 passes. Could the Giants be giving Painter a shot to beat out Carr (Nassib will surely be on the 53 man as cant chance losing him)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Yup, agree with all of that.

But last night was all about Damontre Moore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Cool picture of Moore against the Steelers

damontre-moore-block-08102013.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Watched some more of the earlier parts of the game again last night. Really thought Herzlich and Paysinger were poor and we're in trouble especially if Herzlich is a starter and doesn't improve rapidly.

There was one play in particular where our defence had got it spot on against the Steelers run and Herzlich was lined up to hit their running back near the line of scrimmage and he literally just slid off the RB. Weakest tackle you'll see all year.

That was against Howling who is something like 5, 8" and 180lbs.

A lot of the bad LB play between the two (Herz and Paysinger) could probably be down to not fully understanding assignments, but that incident in particular did not bode well.

OL was poor too, and its a testament to Wilson that he managed to get back to the line or gain some yards on a few of his plays. One in particular, Steelers put 8 or 9 forward in a rush and Wilson had nowhere to go. Made two miss and put his head down to get, I think, 5 yards.

Cox did well too, considering.

Myers was beaten a lot when it came to run blocking. I know it was highlighted as being a poor area for him, but was particularly disappointing. He will probably only be a receiving threat this season unless Giants can train him up somewhat.

Didn't watch it too thoroughly 2nd time round, its only first game of preseason anyhow, but just my early take on it.

New enough, relatively speaking, to a lot of things in Football as only started digging past the basics in the last season or two so may well be missing a lot!

Cruz and Baas out of the game in the first quarter with injuries.

Cruz's looks bad as he wasn't touched and seemed to pull something on a route. Bass had someone land on his leg and seemed to jar his knee.

Edit: Result back on Cruz is a bruised heel and Baas is a sprained knee. Both x-rays negative. Best of a bad situation tbh.

• Advertisement

I missed the game. Maybe fortunately?

A Cruz injury would be an absolute disaster. Imagine relying on Nicks solely for a season as your main WR? *Shudder*. Randle is looking better by the day though.

Keno 92 wrote: »
    I missed the game. Maybe fortunately?

A Cruz injury would be an absolute disaster. Imagine relying on Nicks solely for a season as your main WR? *Shudder*. Randle is looking better by the day though.

Tbh, while the game wasn't great, there were some positives and we were perhaps unfortunate to lose.

OL and DL were much improved on the run game and the 1st Colt TD should have been a catch by Ross. Covered superbly and tried to make a play on the ball shot up off his arm and looped over him only for the Colts receiver to make a pretty good catch.

Their second TD was good coverage by Hosley but a perfect ball thrown over his head beat him. Was unlucky on his behalf but great play from Luck.

Eli was a bit flaky but should of had a TD when he threw to one of the younger guys, can't remember who, and it went through his hands.

He seemed a little off with Myers, for whatever reason as they failed to connect two or three times on plays.

Tuck played well, thankfully, and got pressure on Luck a good few times. Few hits but no sacks.

Nicks had two catches for 20 yards each, but looked sluggish on one or two. Randle did well as too did Barden. Murphy had a few plays too, if I remember correctly.

Wasn't watching the game too intensively so not much more to report. Cox did well again, although up against thirds/fourths, and Ojomo got another sack.

Have only seen highlights so going off that & reports. Cruz injury seems ok & nice to see Nicks get some game time.

The fight for the 3rd running back looks a good battle between Cox & Torrain. All reports on Cox from pre-season have been excellent and e had shown up nicely in the games. Whoever wins might see some decent action this year. Hope Cox can win the job.

David Baas is likely out for 3-6 weeks. I might be on my own here but I think this is probably a good thing. He is a very mediocre player (shocking contract) and our line would be greatly improved with Kevin Boothe in at centre with Mosley/Diehl at LG & Diehl/Pugh at RT (doubt Mosley & Pugh would start)

Our TE's seem to have done little so far this pre-season. I'd be concerned that Myers lack of blocking skills will hurt him contributing to the team thus season. Had hoped to see a big leap from Adrien Robinson but not much yet.

Finally what a great catch by Reggie Wayne & the tribute video to Ahmad was class. Really hope he had a great year with the Colts

Just found out Diehl has to go for surgery on his thumb and will be out for 6 weeks. Not what we need at all.

Baas is likely to be back either week 1 or 2, and Cruz looks like he'll be back before pre season ends, thankfully.

Edit: Just realised Tuck came off with a hamstring strain against the Colts. Says he should be fine for this weekend again though. Really are picking up a few injuries now. Thankfully none are really long term.

Knex. wrote: »
    Just found out Diehl has to go for surgery on his thumb and will be out for 6 weeks. Not what we need at all.

Baas is likely to be back either week 1 or 2, and Cruz looks like he'll be back before pre season ends, thankfully.

Edit: Just realised Tuck came off with a hamstring strain against the Colts. Says he should be fine for this weekend again though. Really are picking up a few injuries now. Thankfully none are really long term.

Was just coming on to post that

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/David-Diehl-expected-to-miss-six-weeks/0f1202ac-59b5-410a-8a60-ea46ed6367fa

So no Diehl or Baas for 1st 2 weeks of the regular season. What with the o-line look like. Beatty, Mosley, Boothe, Snee, Pugh is probably likely with James Brewer having the best chance to crack it. Any vet's we are likely to be interested in?

• Advertisement

Not the best scenario in terms of the OL is it. Snee not even fully back yet either, so hopefully no hiccups there.

How do people think Mosley will fair?

Not the best scenario in terms of the OL is it. Snee not even fully back yet either, so hopefully no hiccups there.

How do people think Mosley will fair?

I thought we got an utter bargain when we drafted him so I think he is going to be fantastic

Woo Hoo he's back

Fantastic news. :D

He's a definite so for week 1?

Between him and Wilson, we could have an excellent run game.

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Between him and Wilson, we could have an excellent run game.

Wilson's blocking is seriously under question. He would have had more snaps last year had he been trusted enough.

Wilson's blocking is seriously under question. He would have had more snaps last year had he been trusted enough.

Yeah, agreed on his blocking. It certainly needs work. His running is great though. That's why I loved Bradshaw. Great at both.

Fantastic news. :D

He's a definite so for week 1?

You'd imagine so with 2 weeks training under his belt

Having Hynoski back now must be a relief to Eli and the offence as a whole, especially when you consider the OL and Cruz injuries.

Didn't think we'd see him back so soon.

I know it's only preseason and all but anyone else concerned that Eli seems very out of sorts, went 8 of 20 last night :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

HigginsJ wrote: »
    I know it's only preseason and all but anyone else concerned that Eli seems very out of sorts, went 8 of 20 last night :confused:

Definitely doesn't seem to be himself. The Defense looked pretty solid though.

He's a huge concern. He was poor last year too but so was our play calling tbh. Hopefully we can fix whatever has being going wrong in the past year.

I think Eli is going to have a huge season actually.

Oh ad I forgot about someone....David goddamn Wilson. Kid is going to be a star.

Stevie Brown suffered a pretty serious knee injury by all accounts. Apparently he will miss some time but how long not yet confirmed. Jayron Hosley has an ankle sprain, probe ok to open the season.

Anyone know why David Carr & Ryan Nassib saw no action. Will be big surprise if Painter beats out Carr (he is been given every chance) The Nassib situation is a bit disappointing. At this stage I think the Giants will roll the dice and try get him onto the practise squad.

Mark Herslich had a great 2nd half. 8 tackles and the sack (Geno ran out of the end zone but still)

Coughlin had said during the week that Carr would play no part in the game. Didn't really give a reason but he did say that Painter and Nassib would both play.

Strange then that Nassib didn't get any snaps.

Coughlin had said during the week that Carr would play no part in the game. Didn't really give a reason but he did say that Painter and Nassib would both play.

Nassib has been a massive disappointment really. Has shown nothing in games and being reportedly struggling in practises as well.

Nassib has been a massive disappointment really. Has shown nothing in games and being reportedly struggling in practises as well.

Mentioned on here before the Steelers game that I was very unsure on him. Had been reading a few reports on practices and catching some clips and as you say, was struggling.

Had hoped the last few weeks would see him move on but that drive he had against the Steelers with all the penalties and then the fumbled snap for a TD probably shot his confidence too.

I know the QB draft class this year wasn't the best, but mental to think back on the talk of Nassib following Doug Marrone to the Bills as a first or second round pick. Be very worried for any team with him as their starter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Jesus, if Nassib is sitting behind Painter he must be seriously struggling.

davyjose wrote: »
    Jesus, if Nassib is sitting behind Painter he must be seriously struggling.

He is really the 4th stringer but one of Carr/Painter will be cut. The only real question is whether Nassib makes the 53 or if they try get him to the practise squad. He as done nothing to merit a place on the 53 but there is the fear someone might pinch him if he is waived to make the practise squad

• Advertisement

A torn ACL is feared for Giants S Stevie Brown, which obviously would likely end his season.
    3:30pm - 25 Aug 13 -Albert Breer

So who will be safety next to Antrel Rolle (if he ever gets fit) Ryan Mundy would probably be the safe experienced option but this really is a great chance for Tyler Sash to finally come good

Advertisement