Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Giants Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Might need one of those next week or else the Giants are staring into the abyss

Well I'd take a bad season if it meant that we can clearly move forward but as it stands next year we could be looking at trying to get 3 LBers, a RB, OL, a WR depending in whether Nicks stays etc.

We have a lot of needs and it's only one game so far but that wasn't pretty and we could be in trouble if TC can't sort this out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Well I'd take a bad season if it meant that we can clearly move forward but as it stands next year we could be looking at trying to get 3 LBers, a RB, OL, a WR depending in whether Nicks stays etc.

We have a lot of needs and it's only one game so far but that wasn't pretty and we could be in trouble if TC can't sort this out

LB's? F**king LB's!!! We have needed help at LB since Pierce retired in '10 but Reese has an awful blind spot there. This philosophy of anyone will do cos we have a good front 4 is utter BS. Blackburn, Connor, Herslich, Boley, Paysinger, Rivers, Kiwanuka (decent DE but not an LB) are a joke as a group of starting LB's over the past few years.

Here is a novelty idea, draft one in the 1st round. There were 2 pretty good ones on the board when we went to pick this year in Ogletree & Teo but no no lets take a RT.

Or instead of reaching for Wilson last year we could have had Bobby Wagner or Zach Brown which would be a double bonus as we'd have someone to cover Jason Witten & Ahmad would still be a Giant.

Rant over, Go Giants!!

Reports are we are going to work out a group of running backs tomorrow. Willis McGahee, Brandon Jacobs & Joe McKnight seem to be confirmed triallists. Of those 3 McGahee would interest me most.

I'm surprised at a lack of interest in Michael Turner. I know he wasn't great last year but as a solid 3 down back thought he would be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Lads that was a weird one from you guys last night. But look on the bright side, if that onside kick came off, you are a Hail Mary away from winning the game. Which I think isn't bad considering the amount of turn overs coughed up.

Lads that was a weird one from you guys last night. But look on the bright side, if that onside kick came off, you are a Hail Mary away from winning the game. Which I think isn't bad considering the amount of turn overs coughed up.

6 turnovers was the most in the last 25 years by the Giants apparently. Think the Cowboys pass D was awful really allowing 3 guys with 100 yard games. Bit worried that if RGIII & Orakpo are fit then the Skins could run away with the division

• Advertisement

HigginsJ wrote: »

Look we needed to do something. Wilson can't protect the ball and he can't pass block. We need someone big like Jacobs as a stop-gap solution. Hopefully he plays well.

Wilson needs to hit the weight room and learn his technique and take 5-6 snaps every game and see where it goes. Hopefully he can improve but if he can't stop fumbling and block then he's done in the NFL

Look we needed to do something. Wilson can't protect the ball and he can't pass block. We need someone big like Jacobs as a stop-gap solution. Hopefully he plays well.

Wilson needs to hit the weight room and learn his technique and take 5-6 snaps every game and see where it goes. Hopefully he can improve but if he can't stop fumbling and block then he's done in the NFL

Agreed 100% with all of that but Jacobs was nothing but a headache towards the end of his Giants stint. If he comes in with an attitude to help Wilson & be a team player great but I have my reservations

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Agreed 100% with all of that but Jacobs was nothing but a headache towards the end of his Giants stint. If he comes in with an attitude to help Wilson & be a team player great but I have my reservations

I agree it's a massive step backwards from 2 years ago but at the moment its, sadly, a step forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Is Jacobs not coming in as a back-up? It's hard to see him as a starter again.

• Advertisement

Tristram wrote: »
    Is Jacobs not coming in as a back-up? It's hard to see him as a starter again.

He is back up & 3rd down/goal line back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭wawaman

He didnt exactly set the world alight in Frisco did he!? Got suspended for critisising his teammates if i remember correctly. It smacks of desperation im afraid. We need a lot more than him to beat the Broncos and have any playoff hopes

wawaman wrote: »
    He didnt exactly set the world alight in Frisco did he!? Got suspended for critisising his teammates if i remember correctly. It smacks of desperation im afraid. We need a lot more than him to beat the Broncos and have any playoff hopes

Yea it's a terrible decision. He was an arse towards the end of his Giants career as well. Michael Turner really should have been brought in and tried out

Looks like Wilson is drinking in the last chance saloon Sunday. I have faith (I'd stick him on kick-off returns to boost confidence)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000242627/article/tom-coughlin-ny-giants-david-wilson-a-marked-man

In this Coughlin talks about him improving his technique but I read an article that he was carrying the ball high & tight and he was simply outmuscled so. I'm a bit confused.

I'm hoping that Wilson can the follow the path of a certain other running back who had fumbling issues in his 1st couple of seasons ;)

http://www.nfl.com/player/adrianpeterson/2507164/profile

Or even this guy would do

http://www.nfl.com/player/tikibarber/2499533/profile

What's telling is that if you followed the official Giants message board that there was talk on there that the Giants were already looking at bringing in a RB before Wilson's first snap this season.

He's a huge weak link in the side. I think we may see him on what will now be obvious running plays but not on 3rd and short.

It's not just the fumbling issues he's a rubbish pass blocker. It's his pass blocking that drives me up the wall.

Dan Connor placed on IR for the year. Need to do something badly as Herslich cannot be a starter. He is a liability :(

Say it quietly but we are doing ok so far

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Yeah, defence doing well, all things considered.

Annoyed at the interception and the play call just before half time though. Should have gone for the field goal.

Need a big 2nd half, where hopefully the running game can show up and help the offence.

Me and my big mouth. That was really hard going at times. Surely someone has to take the blame for the fact that the same problems that have been there for the last few years have not been solved. The Giants have a run game that to call it embarrassing would be a compliment to it. This then leads to the problems that are encountered on 3rd down and in the red zone.

The interception at the end of the first half made a big difference although before the Giants fell completely apart they had got it back to a 1 point deficit in the 3rd quarter

I don't think yesterday was that bad but only using the context of the game against the Cowboys.

But we have conceded the most point so far 77. We've had the most interceptions 7 and the joint most fumbles 3. We've a poor LB group. Our running game sucks. Our OLine is fairly patchy and Eli is playing poor. He's gone back to throwing stupid deep passes into triple coverage. He's taking shots where he shouldn't be. Our WR are having massive drops and there is a lot of poor root running. He misses Bennett a lot IMO.

We're not great in the backfield. TT was poor, Prince was caught out numerous times yesterday and couldn't cover his man. Peyton started to pick on him for a period in the 2nd quarter. Our D-Line looks a bit meh if I'm honest and JPP isn't nearly as dynamic as he was two years ago. Damontre Moore looked good in pre-season and I've been happy with Cullen Jenkins.

We could go 6-10 this year and Coughlin, Killdrive, Reese etc. could all be gone at the end of this year. We just look like a poor team. I think Eli needs a better OC. I don't think Killdrive helps him much. Eli is a bit hasty at times and Gilbride compounds that. Just because it worked before and we have SB's doesn't mean its the right system now. I think Eli needs to be able to control the game more. Currently our offence is set up to throw it short when the defence forces it. Eli should be able to throw it underneath and force the defence to step up and then when they bite take a deep shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I've missed the first two games and we've lost both. Got to watch the third.

The only positive this week is that the Skins, Eagles n Cowgirls all lost.

I'm so disappointed with the Giants. We have 8 players(Manning, Nicks, Cruz, Boothe, Beatty, JPP, Joseph, Rolle, Jenkins) who are good enough to start for a play-off team with a few unknowns (Wilson, Pugh, Amukamara)

Our linebackers are shambolic. Either Reese fixes it next season or he should be gone.

Letting Martellus Bennett go is looking like a bigger mistake everyday as Myers is rubbish, can't block, no good in the redzone

Technically we have a rushing attack but its only a technicality. Our line can't block (Baas n Snee are awful) & we are doing our best to drain confidence from a potential star in Wilson.

Eli needs a kick up the hole. Getting really fed up of these stupid mistakes. It's not good enough anymore

It's **** or get off the pot against the Panthers this week. If we lose they should sack Coughlin, Kilbride & Fewell on the spot :mad:

Eli is really missing Bennett as that. 3rd option. You'd have to question how the heck have we gone backwards again this offseason. That's two seasons in a row. I knew it'd be a retooling year but the style and production from our game is nothing to build on.

The Giants are trying out Kerry Rhodes sometime this week.

Eli is really missing Bennett as that. 3rd option. You'd have to question how the heck have we gone backwards again this offseason. That's two seasons in a row. I knew it'd be a retooling year but the style and production from our game is nothing to build on.

The Giants are trying out Kerry Rhodes sometime this week.

It could be a long frustrating season I'm afraid Eli. Your spot on we are regressing. To be honest Coughlin & Co. are still in their jobs because we got hot for 6 games in 2011/2012. Apart from those few weeks we have been a very average team for going on 4 years now.

The way we have played so far we could really be looking at 2-6 or 3-5 going into the bye week :( (I wouldn't mind drafting Jadeveon Clowney or Teddy Bridgewater)

Yeah what's gone from being a retooling year has now descended into possibly a 2 year project potentially under a new GM and HC. That would be scary tbh.

Eli really needs to turn it around. I know it's good to have a high draft pick but some teams just get used to sucking. As you've said bar 6 games 2 years ago Coughlin and co would be gone by now. It's hard to know where we find the light at the end of the tunnel. I wouldn't mind but we have no cap space to invest. So were either going to suck on the OL, LB or running game again next year. Not a lot to look forward to. We could really use 3-4 1/2 round picks next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I only say highlights of our first two games, but this is surely the worst performance so far this season. Maybe the worst performance I've seen from the G Men.

Kevin Gilbride needs to go.

Just in. What the f**k is this bullsh*t :mad:

It's not just Gilbride. Coughlin and Reese have put this poor team together. A lot of overpaid wasters in this side.

Also no matter what Gilbride says Manning should do better anyway. Lots of poor points this season. Time to move on from this back room staff.

This has gone on too long now. Coughlin, Fewell & Kilbride all need to go now while we can at least try & save the season. Eli sacked 6 times already :(

• Advertisement

Oh good another Eli INT

Advertisement